New BI-ATLAS Yoyo want feedback

i rounded that.

maybe more then i should have.

Made me smile though😆

2 Likes

If you want any help let me know

1 Like

Do you cad too? Or do you just mean you will give your personal opinion? Because after I load the first run of the bi-atlas i would like your opinion.

Oh, if you rounded it off in the 3d part after rotating the sketch, that’s why I missed it. If you were theoretically sending this to a machine shop you’d want it rounded off in the sketch too since that’s the part you send to get yoyos made.

2 Likes

i did not know that. thank you.

I took cad in middle school but I am not that well versed. I would love to provide feedback and my opinion once you have it completed!

1 Like

Introducing the all new BI-ATLAS from Yoyofactory. Forget steel, you want weight. With the enormous brass rims that give this old time Yoyo an enormous amount of spin when put against that of the og atlas. This Yoyo has had every tweak nessasary for it to be the best 5a competition Yoyo on the market. First, we asked ourselves, “why have a finger centering cup design when you will never use it?” Since we couldn’t really answer that question, we eliminated it from the design. Replacing it with the, extremely versatile, flat cup design. The brass rings we placed a little further from the rest of the 7075 aluminum body to maximize the potential spin time.

I don’t actually work for yoyo factory. iz just my dream job. and they made the og atlas

cross section to follow

specs
weight: 63.5 (but more if the brass rims weight is called into play)
diameter: 56.80mm
width: 54.35mm
gap: 4.45 mm
response: CBC “Slim Pad” Size 19mm OD
bearing: Size C (.250 x .500 x .187)
Center Trac
designed in: USA
manufactured in: ???

2 Likes

Whats the weight of the rings.

my creo program dosnt calculate it. ill try to see if i can find another way do get it.

any more suggestions for a cool yoyo i can make?

That yoyo would be super heavy with rings lol. Like 86 grams minimum

2 Likes

1 thing i didnt realize, brass is super heavy. i had to swich to ss to keep the weight balanced.
weight: 65g

i had to tweak it tho

Can someone tell me if my walls are too thin?

That in contrast to my rims

I have pretty much no idea what I’m doing for bi-metal rims. This is the first yoyo I’ve tried then on.

It does look sick though. Even if it won’t work.

2 Likes

Fillet your sharp edges man! My hands hurt just looking at this pic haha

2 Likes

generally i just use the auto round feature after the yoyo is done with 3d rendering, but yeah, i will eventually smooth them out (in the sketch). and the really sharp looking one, once the rings are on, are completely flush. every corner, once in 3d, is smooth. even if it doesn’t look it.

Sorry I took so long for the response, but I have been thinking about this design all day.

I thoroughly enjoy the 7075 Aluminium material. I think that is a perfect choice compared to that of 6361 or other materials.

Weight-wise, you fixed the dilemma with the brass rims and the fact that they would make this yoyo weigh too much, so kudos to that. It is spot on now. As far as thinness goes, I cannot tell exactly how thin the walls are, but they do not look too thin. If you look at the Edge Beyond, it has all that weight on the rims, but to do that, the walls are super thin. I think this design is a good middle (it actually reminds me a bit of my Duncan Barracuda X).

The diameter and the width are exactly the same and I could not be happier. I was a little afraid that the yoyo would start looking like a 4a yoyo or maybe even a diablo, although a diablo that could be a yoyo would be pretty dope (and no, I don’t mean the YYF Super Wide).

As for the gap width, I like the fact that you made it slightly wider as that helps with the bearing you pared with it. I am not here to hate on the Center-Trac bearing. It has its pros and cons, but I have thrown Dif-e-yo Koncave bearings for years and they are my favorite. Yes, I do lose a bit with binds, but I love how tilt resistant they are, but I digress as this post is not about bearings.

In terms of 5a, I am glad you took away the finger centering cup. In terms of 1a, I don’t know. Finger spins are fun and all, but they can take away from the potential of the yoyo. I don’t know if anyone on this thread has had the privilege of stripping the threads of a Duncan Windrunner, but I did. Not once, not twice, but three times. Before anyone starts hating on me for it, it was my second throw, and I did not know you could overtighten a yoyo (I had been throwing an indestructible Duncan Metal Racer). The reason that the yoyo was so easy to overtighten was because the axle was microscopic (and I was a noob). Anyway, in my opinion, the finger centering hole is unnecessary and can be a fatal flaw.

The edges could benefit from a smoothening, but you said you were going to do that.

All and all, I love this design and if you ever get to work as a designer, please make this for me (in pink, of course)!! One final question, what would be the finish? With the current set-up, this could be a serious grind machine!

Any more feedback you need, just let me know.

-Aidan

2 Likes

Have you seen this video series on YouTube? It is a 3 part series and it helped me a lot for designing some yo-yos in cad.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

3 Likes

Blasted

1 Like