Need help with Duncan Pulse!

Hey! I just got into yoyoing as of recent and I ended up taking apart my yo yo and the string too. When I put it all back together (following a youtube video on how to reattach the string) it was extremely hard to wind up, and the few times I got it to, it wouldn’t return or sleep at all. It looks from an outside stand point fine, but it slips every time when winding no matter what I do, and will just fall down the string. I have a responsive ball bearing yo yo, and it’s worked fine up until now. But I don’t know what to do to fix it, anything I might have done wrong when reattaching it?

3 Likes

I’m not quite sure whats going on here, it’d also be helpful to see a link to what video you’re using. Depending on the yoyo, a lot of ball bearing responsive yoyos are wound the same as an unresponsive. If you’re winding it correctly and you’re saying the string itself is just slipping right out of the gap it could also be a problem with the response system or if it’s an old school throw with a worn down starburst response. This is all just a guess though without more information.

When you wind the string grab a small loop and hold it to the shell as you wind. Once you get a few winds you can let it go.

2 Likes

This often happens to me when I change or remove strings on fixed axle YoYos. Try pinching the string just above the yoyo then spinning the yoyo to twist the string tighter onto the axle. Then throw about 10 powerful sleepers. Usually this will solve the problem for me. It’s the tension, or lack thereof, of the string right at the axle that seems cause this problem.

Happy yoyo!

5 Likes

Welcome to the world of Yoyo. Please post some pics of the yoyo before it’s taken apart and after as well as the string on and off the yoyo. It’ll make it easier for us to help you. We WILL get you through this!

2 Likes

This is what I immediately thought of too. Certain kinds of string are more slippy than others, but if you’re using the same string as before and it’s playing differently that’s a tension issue. If you look at the string close to the yoyo, it’s probably not as tight as it is a little higher up.

What I do to fix this is untwist the string a few inches away from the yoyo (maybe 3-4") then use my fingernail to scrape the string toward the yoyo, then retwist it. Scraping down the string can kind of push the twist closer to the axle, and then retwisting it manually rather than just letting it go gives you more control over how it twists.

Hope that makes sense, it’s kind of hard to explain since it’s a weird technique.

4 Likes

Thanks for reaching out! The link I’m using is How to Put a String on a Yoyo and Adjust it for Play - YouTube
which is a video from the channel YoTricks that explains how to put on the string and adjust it if need be. The yo yo I have a newer one I picked up from a retailer a couple years ago. When I’m trying to throw sleepers it just spins out and won’t come back up, thanks for the help! (I also tried doing the single and double loop when placing the string on, if that matters)

Thanks for reaching out! I’ll attach some pictures of the yo-yo to this reply.
(It just told me that I can do one embedded picture per reply, so I’ll reply twice if it lets me)

1 Like

Wow, lots of community help with this problem! Thanks, guys! I was at work all day. That yoyo is not put together correctly. When it’s put together only the bearing (on right in bottom photo) should be visible with the string on it. The bearing has the little balls in it. The whole yoyo needs to be pushed together properly.

Thank you so much for reaching out! I tried pushing the yo yo together by just pushing it and it didn’t seem to budge, I also tried to screw it on as hard as I could without breaking the screw, but to no avail. Is there a specific way to push it together? (There’s also a washer that’s stuck on there, iirc I was able to take it on and off when I first took it apart, but now it seems stuck, is this an issue (I’ll add a picture of all the internal pieces, where you can see the washer)

1 Like

What yoyo is that? Is it a magicyoyo ghz?

It’s a Duncan brand yo yo that’s nicknamed “Pulse” (Probably called that cause it lights up when it spins, not sure if it’s part of a specific series). Ever since I put it back together the washer won’t move.

I don’t have a Pulse or I’d take it apart to see what is going on. Maybe something is broken inside. @YoYoExpertGarrett can you help out? Sorry, I can not help more.

No no don’t be sorry! Thanks for the adivce it helps, without you I wouldn’t even know that the Yoyo was put together improperly, thank you!

I wish I had the yoyo in my hands so I could figure it out. @yoyodoc can you give any advice on this?

The washers are supposed to go on the other side of the black spacers, farther away from the bearing. They also aren’t required - if you close the yoyo without that washer, it makes the gap a bit more narrow, which makes it return a bit more snappily.

2 Likes

Hmmm okay that makes sense! I’ll try to take off the washer using some pliers or something similar, then put it all back together to see if it works, thanks for the reply!

1 Like

Does anyone have a Pulse that they can take apart and post some pics of correct assembly?

So I was able to take the washer off, and reassaemble it, but it still had a space with the washer still attached, when i left it out I was able to get it with no space, and just the bearing was visible. (I’ll show pictures). But I still face the same problem where it just spins out and doesn’t come back up, along with the fact it’s very hard to wind up.

1 Like