New yoyo, new issue

ok so I dont really yoyo just started up. of course I have done it in the past. I was using a wooden yoyo but I need one for tricks now so I got this one Professional Magic Yoyo M001 Aluminum Alloy Yo-yo.

now I just tried to string it, and I used the loop end and opened the loop and put it over the yoyo and onto the bearing. now when I go to stall my yoyo it doesn’t come back up ever it just spins. how am I supposed to fix this?

5 Likes

You have an unresponsive yoyo that was not made to come back with a tug. Here’s some tips from a forum member. Unresponsive yoyos have a wide bearing and are for longer tricks. You have a great yoyo, you just have to learn to use it like all of us here had to. You’ll get it!

Welcome to the Forums!

11 Likes

This may help YoYoExpert.com - Intermediate - Bind Returns

4 Likes

@AKYOYOMIKE has a couple great tutorials as well… here’s a some quickies for winding up unresponsive yoyos, but his ‘point’ and ‘glare’ techniques are applicable across a variety of tricks… and help me regularly :wink::heart:

7 Likes

ah dang, I thought it’d be like the yoyo in this video Learn 10 AWESOME Easy Beginner Yoyo Tricks by PewDiePie - YouTube

I suppose I’ll have to try and learn a new way though so thanks for the advice. and in the future if I want a yoyo like in this video ^ what type of yoyo is it? can I just get any plastic one from walmart?

There are quite a few really good responsive plastic yoyos out there. Here’s one of them:

3 Likes

Try lubing the bearing and double loop the string. That will make it a bit more responsive. Use 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil.

3 Likes

If you can’t purchase from YYE for any reason and go the retail store route, I would look for a Duncan butterfly XT, super cheap, solid, responsive which means it returns with a tug. Fortunately there are plenty of good quality responsive play yoyos readily available and inexpensive. Hope you have fun!

2 Likes

Welcome. Many others have already posted links to how to bind your yoyo. It may seem a little daunting at first, but, if all of us were able to figure it out, you will get it too. Try not to get frustrated, remember we all learn at our own pace.

This is a friendly forum, please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you have.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if Walmart carries them in-store, but I know that Target sells the Butterfly XT for $5. The only problem is that they don’t sell strings.

3 Likes

You could…I’d try to get the Duncan Butterfly XT at Target or just order one or the other suggestions. The regular Butterfly you can get at Walmart was the first yoyo of a lot of people here and you can learn basics on it but you will need replacement strings pretty quickly because they wear out.

Welcome to the forums, I believe now you have all the information needed, I just want to share that when I started I had this same issue, but I never played a good responsive yoyo, shame on me. I just forced myself to learn the bind.

1 Like

appreciate all the responses.

now i’ve been using my yoyo a bunch (not too much…) and my yoyo is now sounding really loud and really grindy. It even became responsive as of today… which is weird it was just being loud but now its loud and responsive. I kinda learned to bind so Im not too happy about the responsiveness.

if I lightly pull the string around the bearing i can hear grinding…

how did this happen? are my barrings really shot i’ve played for like 10 mins a day.

1 Like

Try this!

1 Like

Sounds like something went really, really wrong with the bearing. In 5 years I’ve never gotten a bad bearing or had one go bad. I can understand the frustration since it’s your first yoyo. Most yoyos stay problem-free until they are damaged by the user.

1 Like

If only… @ChrisFrancz I must be cursed when it comes to YoYos. I have bearings go bad all the time and I barely ever hit the floor…prob 25% of the time they come to me broken or locked up

I started buying cheap magic yoyo bearings to have extra replacements my luck is so bad with em

Nearly every bearing I’ve ever had that came like that was was fixed with a quick 100 % acetone bath after popping the shields off, dry it, lube or not depending on your preference and done.

2 Likes

Hey man, It takes a day or two to get the the hang of it. It’s extremely frustrating at first, but it opens up a whole new world of yoyoing! I’ve only been yoyoing for a year year and a half, but yoyoing will beb awesome and fun when you learn how to bind!

I have some citrus bearing cleaner and have tried but some of them are legit just busted it seems. But yeah I’ll look into that stuff and try it instead I guess before I toss my bag of duds