New yoyo, new issue

Not familiar with citrus cleaners for bearings, I tend to avoid household or water based cleaners. They can actually leave residues, and cause poorer performance, but like I said this is just my experience. I have had a couple bad ones but most of the time cleaning solves it. I use a shot glass sized container with a lid so I can give it a shake, sometimes the tiniest little fibers is all it takes to mess it up but it’s not broken . Sometimes for me perfectly working bearing sounds great, nice and smooth then within one throw all of a sudden is screeching, loses spin time, sometimes becomes responsive, that’s when I clean it. When it’s been an out right defective bearing it usually never spun right from the beginning and cleaning made no difference then yeah I toss it.

3 Likes

this makes me wonder… I was practicing on carpet and yeah i’ve hit the floor but I think not very hard… maybe even multiple times. I am still gonna take this bearing apart and try and air can it and if that doesnt work then try to clean it. or can it just be damaged if i’ve hit the floor with it?

I doubt you could do ANY damage to a bearing by hitting a yoyo on carpet. I think the bearing is just bad. Just order a 3 pack of magicyoyo bearings for ten bucks or less and you’ll be set for years. Can you post a photo of the bearing?

2 Likes

Gonna look into owning a diff cleaner never thought about it tbh since it said bearing cleaner but my last clean went not the greatest

Maybe it got a lot of cat hair in it. I’d just order the bearings and by the time they arrive you might be closer to figuring out the problem but probably not.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m sure if you search you can find plenty of different options, for me personally, I’ve only tried 91% rubbing alcohol or 100% acetone and that works so I stick to it, generally though nothing with additives or fragrance added which is going to be most household cleaners. A hardware store would be a good place to start.

1 Like

Lube can help temporarily, but I would probably try to wash it like the others have said. Even alcohol works.

100% acetone is what to use for cleaning bearings. You can find it easy and cheap near nail polish in the grocery or drug store just make sure it’s 100% acetone. Even the grindiest loudest bearings I get are easily remedied with a soak in acetone and then blow dry with canned air. Leave them dry when you’re done no lube is necessary unless you want to add responsiveness. I’ve been using this system for years and years and have yet to throw away a bearing.

7 Likes

doing this thx hope it works /e do I have to take the whole bearing apart?

how long do i keep in acetone?

1 Like

There’s a really nice video from Gentry that shows the process.

Remember to use a glass dish or container when you wash in acetone. Acetone will melt plastic.

When he shows putting lube on the bearing after you can just skip that it’s totally unnecessary.

Hope that helps!!!

4 Likes

Shouldn’t be longer than a few minutes, I like to let it soak a few minutes then use a pair of tweezers to swish it around a bit before drying it off and blowing it out.

yep it worked its pretty silent and amazing again

1 Like

how do i bind when yoyo is opposite direction?