NC States 2015

I live in AL and I would go. If you could publicize nation-wide, you could get lots of people and top-notch judges.

amplified if you could take a hold of this we could make it happenā€¦

I would love to help in anyway I could, but at this point I am without the scope, time, or resources to effectively plan a state contest. Advocacy is never out of the question though.

the problem is both me an buggot the people who have tried to set it up or to young to be taken seriously by venues and stuff

Iā€™m 18. Iā€™m not much help in the age department.

Yeah. The problem is that we have the motives but not the age to make this happenā€¦ Iā€™ve gotten in touch with ed and weā€™ll have to wait and see. Iā€™d love to see us making this happen but right now itā€™s iffy.

i ran nc states for 4 years (took off one year to compete). i thought it was always a pretty fun contest. the issue for me was that i felt like i was banging my head against a wall to try and build a scene that steadfastly refused to grow. every year, nc states would draw around 30-40 competitors across the divisions, but only 5-10 of those would be from nc, and they would almost completely turn over each year. running the contest was a lot of work, and with 3 kids iā€™ve got less time than ever. if no one else steps up to do it, iā€™ll try to run one in 2015. (there was talk of kitty hawk kites taking over the contest, and connor vranizan also mentioned wanting to do it). if it falls to me, though, i canā€™t promise itā€™ll be much of a spectacle!

basically, whoever wants to run it needs to set a date, start a website, find a venue, request sponsors, find judges, determine a schedule, allocate prizes, organize registration, communicate with the NYYL, and find someone to run the music and mc. the actual running of the contest on the day of is NOTHING compared to the work that goes into it ahead of time. age is less of a factor than youā€™d assume if youā€™ve got the time to put into it.

-Okay, I get what youā€™re saying. I know of 3 (including me) that will definitely come if there is a NC Yoyo Contest. One of them is much better than I am.
-What is the term ā€œthey would almost completely turn overā€

-Things that me/alecto/amplified/anyone else interested can possibly do:

1. Set a date (yes)
  2. Make a website (yes)
  3. Request sponsors (see A below)
    ā€“3. Find a venue (find it, probably yes; getting it is a different story)
    ā€“7. Allocate prizes (with money, see A below)
    ā€“8. Organize registration (see B below)
  4. Find judges (with help from people who know judges like you, probably yes)
  5. Determine a schedule (yes/most likely)
  6. Communicate with the NYYL (see B below)
  7. Music/MC Person (yes if with connections)

A. Money Wise
Numbers 3, 7, 8, and 10 usually involve money, do they not? Either by cost to rent/borrow or to buy supplies. Where can we find this money from, the sponsors?

B. Things I am not sure we can do are:
4. Request Sponsors. This is one of my biggest ifs because if I were a potential sponsor and a 16 year old kid asked me to give him money for this ā€œproposedā€ STATE contest Iā€™d be a little iffy. With the right connections we can make this happen though, so maybe if you are able to help with this.

1. Organize Registrations. Iā€™m not too sure about this one, as this one involves money and all the technicalities and stuff, not sure a 16 year old is allowed to deal with this part of it. I can help organize it, but probably not control this part of it.

2. Communicate with the NYYL. Again, not sure a person who is not an adult will be taken seriously, but we can try.

C. Other people willing to take over. Iā€™m perfectly fine with anyone (as long as NC States can get back running again) taking over, such as you said Kitty Hawk Kites and Connor. I donā€™t know them/him personally but I can try to get in touch with them to see how they want to do it.

D. Age stuff, you said itā€™s less of a factor though

Thatā€™s it for now, I probably missed some things I wanted to ask.

All this is hypothetical by the way. I was just curious how much this would take, so thank you in advance for your answers. Iā€™m asking so many questions because Iā€™m really excited about this getting back up. ::slight_smile:

1 Like

Ed and Buggot, I suggest you guys work together on this. I can do a website if need be, but I live in AL, so I donā€™t think I can be too much of a help other than be supporting by going. I could also do filming, but that is a very low priority right now.

As for a venue, I suggest doing it a childrenā€™s museum or something of the sort (national park maybe). Finding an MC should not be too hard, but if they want paying, then we may have a problem. Which brings me to sponsors. Maybe if you try to find local sponsors just to throw in a little bit of cash, you can advertise more and get more companies involved and start something. Then, go to yoyo companies to see if they will help. When I was 11, I held a road race up where I live and I got $300-400 just for local people wanting to help out. The race turned out really nicely. So, I donā€™t think age is a problem.

Prizes should not be a problem if we have sponsors.

Wish I could help more, but seeing as I live forever away, the only thing I can do is what I said above. Good luck to those who want to put it on, Iā€™m supporting yaā€™ll.

i know a guy who might be able to gets us the stage thats set up every summer in sandhills outdoor mallā€¦ i just need to talk to him. And another thing is that sandhills is in south carolinaā€¦ so maybe a compromise and call it the contest of the carolinaā€™s ??

1 Like

I like that idea, alecto. If it means we can get a stage, we should take it.

I think the lower the cost the better, unless we can get sponsors easily. Also, I donā€™t know where ed lives but I know the last one was held in Charlotte, so that might be a problem if ed canā€™t go down there to help. Also: NC States 2015 - #28 by Buggot - Yo-Yo Contests, Clubs, and Events - YoYoExpert Forums

If you guys want to talk more about it in person we are having a nc players meetup at Hobbytown in Mooresville (just north of Charlotte - I-77, exit 36) next Sunday from 1-3.

Cool. I live about 30 minutes from there. Also, how can I know where there are meet ups like this in NC? Is there a facebook page?

This sounds cool, is anyone allowed to come?

[quote=ā€œYoyordy,post:35,topic:71937ā€]
This sounds cool, is anyone allowed to come?
[/quote
Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s just like a public meet up so yeah :smiley:
I have been to that Hobbytown once or twice, so maybe Iā€™ll think about coming :slight_smile:

yeah there is a facebook group called nc yoyo players.

absolutely.

Im so down for a meetup, Iā€™ll be there next sunday

are we talking sunday the 22nd

YES.
At Hobbytown in Mooresville. Hope to see some of you!