NBA fans - anyone?

I’m a pretty big fan of the NBA at the moment. Went to my first game the other day. Should have happened sooner given that I’ve been a Bulls fan since the '90s. Man, it was pretty unreal being in the 6th row at Footprint and watching CP3 sink easy buckets and pull off ripthroughs on hapless newer players (in the penalty) in the 4th.

I live in Phoenix now, and the Suns are on an absolute tear this year. Big deal since we haven’t had a good team since the Nash era. Paul, Ayton, Booker, Crowder, and Bridges is one of my favorite starting lineups of all time. Our bench is also just awesome this year. We have obnoxiously good big men, great shooters, and facilitators who can’t quite fill in for CP3 but do the job just fine. I think we are taking the West easy, and I can’t wait for the inevitable (fingers crossed, salt over shoulder, all that) Suns/Bulls Finals matchup. The Warriors are the only team who stand in our way currently (the Grizzlies are looking great, but I don’t think they’ll be a problem) - and I think CP and Monty will be able to outcoach Kerr in our eventual playoffs matchup.

I’m pretty happy with the changes made to fouls this year, but I do wish we could get a change made to the take foul and have refs vetted/maintained differently. Watching players like Harden and LeBron whining about the relative lack of calls was great at first, but I’ve seen seemingly increasing numbers of questionable calls the further we get into this season.

Anyone else got some thoughts about the NBA you’d like to voice here?

1 Like

Lifetime basketball fan, currently living in Seattle, really sad that we don’t have a team anymore. I used to drive to Portland just to watch a live game

1 Like

Yeah, WA is my old home state. The Payton/Kemp/Shrempf Sonics were pretty fun to watch. I’m bummed you don’t have a team too.

Ah meh’ boring NBA with 1 on 1 constantly matching up…come on giving better players(nba) more steps before traveling? It should be fewer steps NOT more!!? They are also given continuation fouls…WHAT? That’s just another way offensive players get all the calls! Not the defense?! Why? Players should be rewarded for good defense!
Oooohhhh but that’s not what it’s all about,right! Not basketball but MONEY!! Like everything else! Just NOT flair to good players,

2 Likes

I’m with you on the foul situation and traveling, but I disagree with the assessment that it’s “constant” 1v1s. There are some really great offenses that share the ball well playing this year. The Suns, Spurs, Mavericks, Bulls, and Jazz are all good examples, and there are definitely others. I do see some handoffs to individual scorers who can create their own shot in the clutch, but when hasn’t that been the case?

I would like to see a change made to travels and continuation fouls, but there are still a lot of great defensive players who get the job done all the same.

1 Like

Your Suns are looking incredible. After their run last year it seems like they’ve really figured things out. I feel like they have the versatility to handle any matchup. Would not be surprised if they take it all this year now that they have some experience deep in the playoffs!

I grew up as a Lakers fan, so this season has been a bit of a painful one. It’s hard to feel excited about the direction the team is going in at the moment. I preferred watching when the team was younger rather than now where they are almost exclusively vets.

1 Like

NBA and golf are the only sports I can watch on TV. Everything else is boring or feels contrived in some way.

WaAaAarriors :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s felt vindicating to see them launch into the season this way. I’m real happy that we were able to shore up our main weaknesses in the off-season. High-effort bruisers like Biyombo and McGee are exactly what the doctor ordered.

I feel for you being a Lakers fan - I cannot fathom what your FO was thinking when they traded for Westbrook. Reaves and Monk seem really solid, though, and LeBron and Melo are always fun to watch. I like Howard a lot as well. AD always seeming to be on the brink of injury/illness and Westbrook making head-scratching plays with astounding regularity must be frustrating. You probably have more insight into the situation than I do, but that’s what I’ve picked up on so far this season.

2 Likes

Big basketball fan. Was working toward playing professionally. Played with a number of NBA players, and after that, and hearing their stories about playing in the NBA I decided it wasn’t for me.

Bulls fan. Grew up during the Jordan years. To this day I’ll rewatch those playoff and championship teams. Happy about our team right now, but also not a big fan as to how the NBA is these days.

3 Likes

I don’t blame you, it has been an odd experience getting back into it. The '90s Bulls era is my frame of reference for how basketball “should” be as well.

I love watching Ayo and DeRozan this year, you have a great squad.

1 Like

Javale has quietly put together some great seasons lately as a second string big. After his contributions to the Lakers championship, I’m glad to see him still doing well on a different team

Reaves and Monk have been some bright points this season. I’ve been disappointed in AD and Russ overall as the big stars on the team (although ADs had some injury concerns). I’m hoping they put it together eventually, but I’ve enjoyed seeing some of the younger talent in the league breaking out in the meantime too

1 Like