My wife and I had "the talk" last night

If the wife objects to you spending $50 to $100 on a yoyo, tell her that you are going to get into photography and bird watching, then take her shopping for a Canon 400mm prime which some consider a minimum for birding.

5 Likes

Yeah I guess I’m one of the lucky ones too in that my wife doesn’t really hassle me about my hobbies. Not that she has anything similar—she’s super frugal and all her hobbies are super low cost—but by and large she doesn’t mind my yoyo collecting hobby and actually really enjoys watching me play and looking at cool anos.

This is me, as well. These days I don’t really even drink soda or eat junk food (coffee and tea ftw). I drink socially and go out with friends & coworkers a couple of times a month but I don’t go out to concerts etc like I used to in my 20s. And I completely stopped vaping. So that money goes into a discretionary fund I get to spend guilt-free.

My wife’s always known that I’ve been a bit of a collector of sorts. Magic the Gathering, Funko Pops, headphones for a short while, fidget spinners for awhile… the list goes on. I guess she knew what she was getting into. And as far as collectibles go, yoyos are easy to store and put out of the way. So she’s totally fine with it.

As long as we’re paying our bills and meeting our savings goals, she’s a-okay with my collection and collecting habit :grin:. Buying her some high-end dark chocolate whenever I go into the office in midtown also helps :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

3 Likes

Sounds like you have a great wife. And yes, I also don’t smoke, drink socially, etc… It is lot easier to do something like collect yoyo’s when you don’t burn through money drinking or smoking.

1 Like

I do this as well. Much like Ed said, my wife knew what she was getting into. I’ve never been into “cheap” hobbies. Should see
My guitar/uke/amp/effects setup :joy:

5 Likes

In all fairness my wife could care less about my throws. My knifes on the other hand are a completely different matter.

5 Likes

Women are right 99 times on 100. We buy too many stupid stuff
BTW I don’t have a wife. That’s why I can collect everything I want.

21 Likes

At first glance you think this is true, but then you look again and…

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/06/22/1528369/0/en/Global-Cosmetic-Products-Market-Will-Reach-USD-863-Billion-by-2024-Zion-Market-Research.html

I’d rather buy a $100 yoyo and have it last me a lifetime rather than $100 for face paint that lasts a week.

4 Likes

Maybe you are right too

2 Likes

It’s the 1/100 :wink:

2 Likes

I have “the talk” every single time I make a purchase, no surprises that way for either of us this way. I prefer transparency in my relationship, even if it might involve conflict. Fortunately she’s much easier on me than I am on myself regarding purchases. Also, display cabinets adorn our walls throughout the house, so if she wants to know the precise number I own, she’s free to count. I don’t want or need to know, as I consider this a two-part hobby, throws AND collecting, and I guilt myself enough as is (but not so much as to keep me from buying yet one more, hehe). I realize not everyone is as fortunate as I am to have a supportive wife, however, I’d like to think one of the reasons she is so supportive is because she knows I don’t hide things from her, warts and all. Ah who the hell am I kidding, she’s an effin’ saint when it comes to my throws.

Well thing is I don’t have a wife yet, but I have exactly the same problem with my mom. Nuff said.

4 Likes

Or a $100 bottle of wine that lasts an evening.

4 Likes

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but… you kinda do? It’s a looong story. (People tend to end up in relationships with people remarkably similar to their parents in personality and temperament. Not everyone, but… a lot.)

4 Likes

Sorry for the grammar spasm, but:

2 Likes

Nope you’ve got it wrong. She cares. Just not that much.

5 Likes

Oh… :thinking:

1 Like

Just got my NQP Sugar Glider in. B-grade for ano being slightly grody. Showed it to the wifey (she likes seeing my new throws when they come in; I try to keep her entertained) and she gave me the “imperfections/dings give it character” talk.

Slightly different talk than what OP had in mind but felt appropriate to put here.

4 Likes

The yoyos I leave on my shelf have TONS of “character” :wink:

:yo-yo:

3 Likes

I’m happy when my wife is happy.
She’s happy when I’m happy.
I’m happy when she get’s nice things.
She’s happy when I get nice things.
We’re really, really happy! :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Sounds like many of you are great at selecting yoyos but maybe you should have been more careful when…………never mind, I just don’t have the heart to complete that thought. :exploding_head: (just kidding btw lol)

6 Likes