My wife and I had "the talk" last night

So it was bound to happen. I received a yoyo last night. Got home and there was the box. Opened it and examined it. Put it in my box of new yoyos (I’m only playing 2 fixed axle yoyos this year, so all yoyos I get go into a box to be played with at the end of the year).

So while we’re getting our daughter ready for bed she asks “what did you get in the mail today?” I told her a yoyo that I traded for. Then, for the very first time she asks “Which one?” So I tell her it’s a CLYW Yeti. “What is CLYW?” Tell her. Then comes the question… “How many yoyos do you have?” :fearful:

Ummmm…

My reply was “Do you really want to know?” She rolled her eyes and said “Oh brother.” :rofl:

How often does everyone else have this “talk” with their SO?

21 Likes

I hate to say it, but the truth is after twenty fours years of marriage, we still haven’t had the talk. I mean, my wife has asked if I knew how many were in my collection but out of curiosity, no judgement.

Have you considered a gift for her, or an outing, each time you get a new yoyo? She might become very supportive over time. :wink:

14 Likes

Mine knows better. Besides I don’t ask her about her stuff. Plus I’ve only got around forty throws so it’s not really that bad. But good luck to you buddy!

6 Likes

She’s not unsupportive even in the least, and I’m not irresponsible with buying. I have a “yoyos for yoyos” policy. I either sell yoyos to buy them, or trade them. I think only once in the past 10 years did I reach into my wallet to buy a yoyo. She just finds my yoyo hobby humorous, not in a bad way, and doesn’t fully understand why you’d have more than a few. It was just funny to me how it all happened, and thought it would make for a funny topic :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

There is no hiding the inordinate amount of YoYos I own!

6 Likes

“Only”

No normal person would say 40 yoyos isn’t a lot :joy:

But we’re not normal tho so :man_shrugging:

22 Likes

A well rounded fun bunch of forty for sure, based from what we see in the "what have you thrown today thread.

@AaronW I think the eye-roll might be a direct consequence of your response " do you really want to know." A better response might be, “one less then I’ll have tomorrow” or “the total number of yoyos I have pales in the presence of your beauty.” You know, step up your game man! :muscle:

14 Likes

The will power…

11 Likes

Right?! Lol

5 Likes

Yeah, my wife is the same way on both yoyos and why I need more than one canoe.

11 Likes

i explain it as a cheap mid life crisis. i mean how much would a new sports car cost.

15 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t tell her that there are 3 packages incoming :joy:

11 Likes

have them delivered to a work address, then straight to the garden shed…avoid conversation and eye rolling.

6 Likes

A lot of guys can turn it around on their SO by asking, “How many pairs of shoes do you own?” Besides, collecting isn’t about utility or having “enough”. Most women understand this once you put it in terms they can relate to.

6 Likes

Tried that, wife loves Lularoe (clothing).

Her response “you start wearing your yo-yos in public…”

I didnt hear the rest.

10 Likes

Like AaronW, I sell Yoyos to buy different ones. I constantly rotate my collection which is down to about 70 from about 150. My wife is incredibly difficult with everything, and although she has expensive tastes and hobbies herself she shows no sympathy or mercy. She buys (I buy) her about $1000 in Disney princess dolls yearly and another $500 on “limited edition” pins and popcorn buckets, none of which will ever be worth even what was paid for it. She’s never going to sell these, not even the ones she doesn’t like. I’ve spent about $700 in the past 2 months on Yoyos, but I’ve sold $1500 and still kept the best pieces. I’ve had to prove to her numerous times that I know the value of these things. I’ll show her an auction for something I pay $25 for then a week later I show her I sold the same item for $125 it took probably 30 winning transactions like that to keep her quiet.

But I still use PayPal to stay off her radar and I hide the boxes.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t hear the rest either. I’m guessing she’s not familiar with the concept of logical fallacy? :wink:

2 Likes

Are you kidding me?! She would make a great lawyer…

2 Likes

Her drawing equivalency between a skill toy and a fashion garment does not stand up to logical scrutiny. Good lawyers don’t make arguments like that because most judges will toss them out summarily.

3 Likes

Oh lord, what ever you do, do not google Disney Lularoe around her.

2 Likes