My RBC won’t respond

Good day to all and thanks for listening. So I, like many of you, have bought and loved the RBC. I loved it so much that I bought a second. Both of these have done this to me. I’ve cleaned the bearing and run it dry, some may say to lube it a bit. I’ve actually replaced it with a new bearing with factory lube in it with the same result. Also, I can’t even wind the yo-yo. If I use extreme care and every trick in the book I can get the string wound, but then I can hold the yo-yo and pull the string and every bit of it will come right out and the pads do nothing to stop it. Again, two have done this to me. Maybe the pads are worn you say…the second RBC has no more than 2 hours of play on it. Both played excellent as an RBC does, then they literally just got sporadic then stopped responding all together. I can’t remember what I did to get the first one playing again, but it is now doing the same thing a second time. The pads are clean and very grippy, not worn at all. Both are gold, both purchased at YYE. Don’t know if that matters at all. They’re properly assembled and clean. I’ve not gotten oil or solvent near the pads and I even cleaned them with alcohol for good measure but it’s like the pads will not grab the string. I have replacements but come on. I doubt my first RBC even has 10 hours of play on it. And only 2ish on the second. They weren’t like this, then they were and I’m at a loss. Anyone else experience anything like this?

2 Likes

What string are you using? Do you have any pictures?

1 Like

I’ll get a video up shortly. I was using Zipline Executive lite strings with excellent play. I then tried the thicker Signature Plus Ziplines followed by the thicker still Prestige black. That’s what will be on it in the video. Just need a minute

axle length may be a factor if the axle are a couple millimeters off it can space it without being very visible or noticeable

1 Like

I haven’t tried Signature Plus, but I like Prestige for unresponsive specifically because I find that it is extremely resistant to snags and unwanted binds in tricky string layer situations. It could be that these nylon blends are too slick for consistent responsive play.

1 Like

This is certainly a good possibility. Both played perfectly for a while and both have been assembled and reassembled and still played fine. Both seem to have just picked it up out of the blue. I’ve got them both as tight as I feel comfortable getting them, and I’m sure that’s tighter than most people will feel comfortable with. I only bought them both 4 and 2 months ago. Is it also possible that during their time on the shelf, the stock pads changed somehow? I do have replacements but I’d hate to waste the ones on it if that’s not the problem. It really does feel like the pads aren’t catching the string though.

You also bring up a very good point. But for the largest part of the 10ish hours I have on my first one I was using the Executive Class. I’ll try some 100%poly on it.

1 Like

Kitty XXL threw ok for about 4 throws then also went unresponsive. I cleaned both of these bearings in alcohol. I’m wondering if maybe that caused a thinning of the factory lube that then leached out and soaked the pad which then infects the string. I guess I’ll change the pads on one and see what happens.

I was also going to suggest might be the string but i never hit reply. happy others had the same thought

What do you mean factory lube?

my rbc is one of my most played responsive yoyos and i’ve never experienced this issue. let us know what you find it to be. could be the pads got saturated in something maybe upload a video of the issue

1 Like

You can see…there’s no way that string isn’t engaging the pads.

It does sound like something could be contaminating the pads/string.

1 Like

If the bearings were cleaned with Alcohol, Theoretically you have made the bearings unresponsive.

Mr. Glen always says/suggests a small drop of lube.

Is the “New Bearing” the correct size? MR85’s come in different widths.

Try a small drop of lube on the bearing before replacing pads. This is an easier test at lower cost than pads.

4 Likes

I had the same issue a couple months ago. Tried changing the string, cleaning the pads, and neither seemed to work. Ended up putting a little silicon grease on the bearing seat and it did the trick! Good as new again and hasn’t relapsed yet.

2 Likes

seems others have had this issue in the past.

seems cleaning pads and lube in the bearing (make sure to deshield them) did the trick for this person.

or if you just can’t get them fixed i know many folks that would buy your rbc if you posted them in the BST lol.

Man I could not for the life of me get that tiny bearing deshielded nicely. When I did deshield one to make it fixed, I had to destroy the shield to get in there.

1 Like

Can’t share my video. JPEG and I don’t know how to change it. Also, I put a brand new factory lubed bearing in and nothing changed.

I have one that I got one shield off of and I just left it off after going cross-eyed trying to get it back on.

1 Like

Is that the bearing your currently using in the RBC in question?

1 Like