My Girlfriend Hates My Yoyos... WTF

I don’t know if im angry >:( very sad :’( or just confused as to why someone doesn’t like yoyos ???

My girlfriend and I have been dating for 3 1/2 years and we have a 4 month old baby boy wesley who is definitly going to yoyo whether his mom likes it or not. but basically she will only let me get a yoyo on either my birthday or christmas. which totally sucks because if something comes out and i really want to get it like a custom paint yoyo its gone by the time i can get one and i have to decide on a different yoyo or something. ugh

does anyone else have this problem minus the baby.

my girlfriend throws every now and than, lol so no. and not to get nosey but how old are you?

19 yes you read it right. 19.

Is she really the BOSS of you? (seewhatididther) Like just tell her, you can buy clothes when you want clothes, I can buy yoyos when I want yoyos.

Theres a shocker [ Not gonna go into details and talk about your life ]
If you really want your baby son to grow up like you just let him see if he likes to yoyo
Give him ayoyo when hes 3 and see what he does with it
If he likes it he’ll play wiht it , if he dosent hes gonna take it off his fingers and chuck it at you.

PS : If your 19 and you only get it on ur birthdays and christmas
Wow , you should get a job , get your own money and buy your own things that you want.
Dont let your [Wife , GF ] get the boss out of you because then shes gonna be a control freak.
And you dont want your wife to grow up getting the habitat of telling you things.

your 19 you should decide what you want :slight_smile:

[shadow=red,left]PSS : You should get married … If you have a baby most likely you should get married…[/shadow]
DONT READ THIS IF YOU DONT WANT TO

While I do agree on your point about letting the child decide for himself about whether or not he likes yo-yo’s, you’re way off base on some other points.

One: It’s rude and ridiculous to judge him because of his age. The “there’s a shocker” comment makes no sense. You don’t know him, so don’t judge him.

Two: He never said one way or another if he had a job or not. You shouldn’t assume.

Three: Your badly mangled statement about his wife/girlfriend becoming a control freak and getting into the “habitat” of telling him things is even more ridiculous. Relationships are give and take, not one person bossing the other.

Four: The getting married because they have a kid thing? Seriously? Don’t get me started. You shouldn’t get married because you have a kid. You get married because you’re in love and want to spend the rest of your life with the other person, not because you think there’s an obligation. There’s no quicker way to make yourself, your spouse and your child miserable than by getting married because you think you have to.

Being 19 has nothing to do with anything. Sure, you’re legally an adult. But, if you have a wife/girlfriend and a child, it isn’t about doing what you want. It’s about doing what’s best for your family. I’d suggest talking to her and trying to explain to her how much you enjoy yo-yoing and how it’s an important part of your life. If your financial situation doesn’t allow you to spend money on extras because you have other priorities, that’s just part of life and you have to deal with it. Communication is key, so make sure you talk to her. Good luck.

2 Likes

I agree until I got to the bold
This applies to stuff that is more important like buying a car or trying to switch jobs. But buying yoyos isn’t something he should have to discuss. If he wants to buy a yoyo let him. It is his own hard work, plus I am sure his gf buys stuff for herself, makeup, clothes, shoes! Why can’t he buy a yoyo.

And coming from someone who has more than the average mans knowledge about psychology, yes, they could turn into one of those “control freaks” if they are arguing over small details.

You pretty much fail at life. Go on live your life under a rock, why would anyone listen to such blatant disrespect towards someone because of their age and family status. Why don’t you go get a life instead of preaching and belittling someone. Yeah, I am belittling you, sure, you deserve it for being such an arrogant pile of human waste. I hate people like you. I hate the fact that someone such as you has had such a nice comfy life that you don’t have any hardships. I don’t particularly care for ignorant people who think they know everything because their mommy still powders their rear. When you wake up and realize what life is all about, then try making a comment on someone else’s life.

Oh and before you come back with a witty retort about how I don’t know what I am talking about, I am 23, I have 4 children and am a disabled combat veteran who is unemployed. What smart remarks do you have to tell me about how I should live my life? I assure you I have lived more in my 23 years than you will in twice as long. If you want to be an idiot, do it somewhere else.

Oh and Mods, I don’t really care if you edit/delete this or whatever, this guy/gal needs their face slapped off for the things they were saying, 'nuff said.

3 Likes

Cameron, you’re not getting my point. Should he have to discuss buying a yo-yo if he’s buying something relatively inexpensive? No, of course not. I’m sure neither he nor his girlfriend have a problem with the other going out and buying small things that make them happy. But what about a premium yo-yo? One that’s in the $100-$150 range? Then, yes, absolutely he should discuss it. $150 can buy a lot of groceries, diapers, and necessities when you have a family, not to mention cover a large chunk of rent, utilities, car payment, doctors visit or insurance. At that level it definitely becomes a group discussion. Once you have a family, things are no longer just about you, they’re about the well being of the entire family, period.

Yes and so can his gf clothes bill at Nornstroms (can’t speell it and don’t feel like googling it) My mom buys $300 shoes and I am sure she does too. I’m saying if she does shopping like this he shouldnt have to ask.

some complicated issue

but if your GF doesn’t respect what you enjoy doing, she doesn’t respect you, and things will NOT get better with time

keep in mind that it’s better for the kid to have two happy parents who are apart rather than an everyday fighting family

if your GF is serious, she will respect you as well as whatever you enjoy doing

think deep about what’s going next but to me, it’s not a yoyo related issue and it could become way more serious if not taken care of

rather than buying a yoyo, I’d go to couple counselling to sort this issue out, it’s not too late

while my wife doesn’t really like nor dislike me playing yoyo, she accepts it, heck she even supports it if I’d ask her to

and about your kid, let him choose what he likes or not, imposing something on a kid is the best way to make sure he’ll never grow into liking it

a kid is not a smaller version of his/hers parents, it’s a different person

I’m not going to say what you should or shouldn’t do. I don’t think anybody on here can give you any good advice without knowing the whole story. We only know what little bit you have told us. We’re talking about buying toys here. You have a long time girlfriend, and a baby, and you are only 19. What’s the financial situation? That’s an important detail for this conversation.

…and this is why you are awesome d4rqk0n3!!! :smiley:

The statement I think I have the most problem with is (and I understand that its crossed out)
“PSS : You should get married … If you have a baby most likely you should get married…”

I have 2 kids, my ex and I stuck it out for way to long “for the kids”, that was the worst thing we could have done for our boys. Now I’m not saying that you shouldn’t get married, but if its “because you have a child”, that’s just the wrong reason to go through with it. My Ex and I get along as friends for the kids, but being married wasn’t going to make things right for them.

…and hadoq is right, “if your GF doesn’t respect what you enjoy doing, she doesn’t respect you, and things will NOT get better with time”. She may not like YoYo’s but if it makes you happy it should make her happy that you are happy. My GF isn’t one for YoYo’s either but she knows that it chills me out when I’m stressed. She has even bought me some throws. In the end don’t worry, things work out one way or another.

1 Like

Directed at OP. Don’t force your kid into yoyoing. Please. It’ll turn into a “Dad is making me do this, I hate it” kind of thing. If Wesley sees you doing it, introduce him to the sport and let him explore it on his own. DON’T push it on him at all. That is just my point of view though.

And brotha, you really only need one yoyo. I know that it’s really hard to not buy every yoyo that comes out, but you just gotta lay back, relax, and work with what you got.

But is yoyoing really something that you are gonna hold a relationship against? I feel like being with a person who makes me happy would trump yoyoing anyday, and I know that some people are going to say that she should accept yoyoing, but why? She should have a say in his activities, and she isn’t attacking him on a personal level.

If her not liking your yoyoing is the biggest problem, I say suck it up.

well, we’re probably very few to

1. be married
  2. have some experience about marriage, kids etc…

in general, these “little things” tend to become huge with time. pure “love” doesn’t last as a chemical reaction (usually around 3, 4 years tops), then it’s all about “friendship” (or something close to it, only you get to have sex, if you don’t mess out too much)

lifetime commitment must not be taken lightly

and there’s nothing wrong with having kids at 19yo as long as you have what it takes, but ultimately, if you’re a cheezy dad, your kid will pay for it, not you, your kid.

if your relationship with his mom is messy, the kid will pay, not you, your kid. Better a polite/separate relationship than a everyday fighting relationship

as a parent, 1 thing is important, the kid, in order for the kid to do well, he has to be in a stable environment, and this is where the yoyo comes in, if you really like to play, you probably use it also as a way to release your stress and probably even more unconscious reasons, if your GF denies you to do it, you’ll get frustrated, nervous, and the kid will suffer from it.

Now don’t use it as an excuse, it’s all about compromises for BOTH sides, if she doesn’t want to compromise, go away and don’t look back because she will make you miserable and your kid along with you.

But you also have to compromise, I know when my wife wants to watch TV or so (I don’t watch TV, ever) I go outside on the parking lot to practice, or in another room so I don’t bother her.

all in all, talk with her

and please, please, you can give a yoyo to your son, but if he doesn’t like it, leave him alone, he will not be good at anything if he doesn’t enjoy it.

Q: I agree with purely negative comments, but this issue goes way beyond someone disliking a yoyo and while it seems like nothing now, it’s the typical situation that, with years, can cause real and big problems if not dealt with properly and as soon as possible.

again, relationship counselling should do the trick, you guys need to talk about this issue and everything related, get all the help you can because at 19yo, most kids lack experience and do silly mistakes, get some help and don’t be ashamed of taking decisions to improve your life.
Kid comes first

Has this thread gone farther than it should have yet? I think so. People are getting way to judgemental and/or emotional. The dude us just pissed because his girlfriend doesn’t want him buying yoyo’s all the time. We don’t know their whole story. She may, or may not be right about his yoyo spending. Who knows? Not that big of a deal.

One rule anyone in a relationship should never forget: A happy wife (girlfriend) makes a happy life. It’s all about communication, balance, compromise, respect, etc…

Your situation isn’t that hard to figure out. You have a child with this woman so you have to consider her thoughts and feelings because she and the child are a part of your life and all that it entails. She doesn’t seem to want to prohibit you from yo-yoing or even from getting new yo-yos from time to time on birthdays and Christmas. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. It sounds to me, and of course this is just my opinion, like you need to grow up a bit and get your head in the game. It’s not just you anymore. It’s you, the child and the child’s mother. They need to be provided for in countless ways so getting more yo-yos is a pretty frivolous thing when that money is more than likely needed elsewhere. You’ve got yo-yos now and you’re allowed to get a new one at least twice a year. Count your blessings and get your priorities straight, you’ve got it pretty good.

Also, don’t force your child into yo-yoing. If you do it around your child regularly and they show interest, then go for it. As much as I’d like my kids to yo-yo, and I yo-yo in front of them all the time, one is totally disinterested and the other was only interested enough to learn 1 or 2 tricks. Let the child pick their own interests.

I think if you ignore the kids who are giving rather unexperienced advice you are looking at a fairly reasonable response to the question at hand.

You should really consider, unless you already have, sitting down and having a discussion with her to see what her reasoning is behind the limitation. Due to the fact that she is ok with you purchasing the yo-yo’s it seems to me she is ok with you yo-yoing, it’s the purchasing she doesn’t seem a fan of. Whether or not there is a monetary reason behind that can be discovered in the talk. If that is all she has a problem with then you could, most likely, reach a reasonable compromise with a little discussion.

This is the only point I feel hasn’t really been made in the conversation.

I think this is getting off topic… he’s only saying he cannot get yoyos whenever… he did NOT say he was fighting or having arguements… so try not to imply that; we don’t know the story…

To answer the original question, I kinda don’t have that problem… my parents spend more on me cause i’m the baby of the family, so I occasionally get yoyos. Like 1-2 every 1-3 months.

To start off. a lot of people are being way to judgemental and completely disrespectful. some people are getting it right some people are way off. Im not some nocker that is going to force his son to do any thing im not an ass like my dad was. My girlfriend and i are in love and have been planning on getting married even before we even knew about our son and the only reason why we arn’t married right now is because she didnt want to be in a wedding dress will she is the size of a beach ball. she just doesn’t like yoyo’s. she doesnt understand how someone could spend over 20 dollars on a yoyo… ever. I said the same about her shoes and she understood a little bit.

and i would have rather had my parents be together and arguing the apart and arguing and making my life more complicated. divorce is the worst that has ever been made. sickness and health, better or worse. death due us part. how does that make it okay to separate just because of a snag in the relationship