Musicians Assemble!

Where are all the fellow musicians at? What do you play? Got any video/audio to share?
I’ve been playing drums since I was around 13 years old. I’ve played in a lot of different bands through the years, and lots of different genres of music. Here’s some videos of me playing through recent years:

11 Likes

Very nice, I play guitar, but I do a better job fixing them. Ran a guitar shop for a few years.

4 Likes

Nice playing!! I don’t think I’ve ever recorded myself playing geetar. I’ve got recorded music but its WAAAAY outside my normal spectrum. I hope to one day record my guitar. Till then I’ll settle with all the overbearing synths I use.

4 Likes

I haven’t recorded myself playing in ages! I used to dedicate my time to play guitar but in this last 2 years school and the suckness of life has separated me from my guitar quite a lot. I very much intend to continue grinding to become a better player in the near future now that my life is finding a little stability.

Here’s a small pasage of Memory by Polyphia. Missed a couple of the last notes lol.

5 Likes

Dude, that first playthrough was chill.

I taught myself how to play acoustic guitar about 10 years ago, and noodled around on a 5-string banjo for a little while (clawhammer). I never really got into playing with other people, that just never really clicked for me. But I used to have some pretty sweet solo jams just for me and my closest homies.

I really enjoy exploring alternate tunings on both instruments. I haven’t played either one in a couple of years though because being a father of three has forced me to set aside some of my passions until my babies are a little bit older and a little bit more independent. I’m not blaming them, it’s just kind of how it is right now.

At one point, it seemed like I could sit down and my instruments would just give me music to play. Kind of like with throwing, once you get past a certain skill set, you can kind of just freestyle and things just kind of flow together and work.

I look forward to picking up my instruments again sometime in the near future.

5 Likes

Saxophone through elementary and HS, then ditched “band” for drums in a GarageBand into late HS.

Have two EPs recorded with my HS rock bands. Good times.
16 and 17 year old me got down back in ‘03/‘04…

4 Likes

I play guitar and bass. Used to play all the time at school and in band at church, but haven’t practiced in quite a while. One of my dogs goes crazy when I play, so I kinda stopped practicing when she’s around, and I don’t enjoy locking her up just so I can have fun without her. I recorded myself a few times in high school, always wanted to be a rock star when I grew up. I’ll see if I can figure out how to post the song I made. I wrote and recorded a song that I think turned out pretty good, and I’ve always been proud of the fact that I did all the drums, vocals, etc myself on it. Used a keyboard for drums lol

3 Likes

My precious 2006 Gibson Flinthill Special

10 Likes

Longtime musician here. I’m also a luthier and guitar tech. Have done work for Cheap Trick, and a number of other Chicago area musicians (Cameron McGill, Cory Chisel, Miles Nielsen, etc.) I’ve also done quite a bit of consulting with guitar and ukulele companies. Gibson, Martin, Fender, Gretsch, Eastwood, Waterstone, a bunch of amp and effect companies. 3 years ago I left that industry, miss it some days, and others really glad that I left.

I haven’t been in a band for a very long time, got tired of all the drama involved with a band. Nowadays I play with friends when I have the time, and for my wife and daughter. My electric guitar rig has been stripped way down and I’ve set my pedalboard up as a solo guitar rig, with loopers, octave pedals, etc. Still do quite a bit of repair and restoration work as well.

I play a lot of Jazz and Americana. I’ve played ukulele the longest. Play mostly jazz, classical and hawaiian music on that.

6 Likes

Drums way back in the day (Terrible grunge/hippie bands FTW)
Bit of guitar over the years
Lots of ukulele strumming

Lots of ukuleles hanging on the walls around my desk. Couple guitars and a banjo as well. I’ve been thinking of picking up a Baby Taylor or Little Martin guitar to get my “kids songs around the campfire” game going. But then again, I might just stick with the ukulele for that. Or, for that matter, the 4 string Tenor guitar I have. Actually, I might go dig that out. I haven’t played it for a while. Not as full of a sound as a 6 string, but a nice unique sound. Was used a lot in folk music back in the day. Someone once told me it was a gateway instruments for banjo players back when banjo dixieland jazz type music fall out of favor as blues/rock was gaining steam.

Every so often I think about trying to get a little group together and playing drums again. But all the musicians I know still want to get out and play shows and BE A BAND. I’m past that, personally. I’d just like to find some folks who want to drink a few beers and make music for the fun of making music. (EDIT: I see as often happens, @AaronW has posted a similar thought to what I’m trying to say)

3 Likes

Wow, lot’s of cool music here. I wish I had the talent and/or dedication to be a tenth as musical.

1 Like

Forgot about this. Here’s a music x yoyo crossover. A cheapo electric tenor guitar with a CLYW Chief die cut sticker I made for it.

4 Likes

That’s so cool! I love having a few stickers on my guitars, it’s a fun way to add a personal touch. No yoyo stickers yet though. Hmm…

eyeing the Circle City Yoyos sticker I just got, wondering if it would look good on my Ibanez

1 Like

Very cool to see so many musicians here on the forums! Keep it coming guys! I’ve been enjoying reading your musical stories!

I’ve been playing guitar poorly since 7th grade… 16 years?! Jesus. You’d think I would be better by now. Anyway I was inspired by Amigo the Devil and a Tumblr post with re-imagined lyrics to Jolene (Dolly Parton originally, White Stripes did my favorite rendition though). Here is what I recorded on my phone. I have dabbled in bass and ukulele, but my Banana Hands do better with 6+ strings apparently.

Let me know what you think! My friends are too nice to give me actual feedback, and just tell me it’s great, which I know is not super true.

1 Like

My new banjo is in the shop. Will post a pic of it when it comes back.
Nothing very special, but I like it.

1 Like

I’ve got a Banjo and a Banjo Uke I’ll be restoring once my new shop is finished. The banjo is early 1900’s, and the banjo uke is most likely from 1910-1930. Looking forward to getting them both done.

1 Like

My Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster. Love this guitar but have to sell it before moving back to the US. I’ll buy another one of the same guitar eventually.

Yoyo-related stickers on the back so I wanted to document it :slight_smile:

I’ve played for years, on and off. Guitar and analog electronics in experimental and traditional stuff. In bands before but music is always something I just do because I love it. I’ve also done a bit of recording engineering in a different lifetime.

4 Likes

I never realized that there was a jazzmaster guitar. I somehow thought that was only a line of basses.

3 Likes

This is likely my most valuable guitar. Morning terms of money. It belonged to my late father-in-law, Lou. My wife got it when he passed when she was 13. It didn’t get much love, since no one else in her family played. I took it in when we got together, and my best friends gave it a bit of a paint job and had the original pick-ups rewound as a new dad gift. I am usually on the emotional spectrum of a teaspoon, but it made me she’d a few tears. I sincerely hope one day I can play it for my son as Lou did for my wife.

4 Likes