Musicians Unite!

Just wondering if anybody else plays music? I play keyboards in a local pop cover band, and also record my own stuff using my small collection of synthesizers.

I also jam a little ukulele for fun.

I noticed that my yo-yo fits perfectly into the USB bay cutout in my lower keyboard so now I display it every show and throw when we go on break!

10 Likes

I jam some ukulele too! As well as a number of other instruments (I tool music classes all through my school years)
Also a little production(although it’s been awhile).I can rock on some turntables.

4 Likes

What synths you got friend? I play music more than I throw at this point. Always learning and getting better. Love drums, decent at guitar, been learning ableton for 3 years and started vox lessons last year! Music is everything!

3 Likes

What’s up fellow music kings, drummer here! Have been playing since I was 3 years old and just graduated with a BA in Music (jazz studies was my major) from University of California, Irvine last year. In addition to jazz drumming I also do lots of music production (mostly hip hop) and audio engineering. Looking forward to some good discussions in this thread!

If anyone is interested, here’s a video of my drum cover of MJ’s PYT, on my YouTube:

9 Likes

The title said “musicians”

jk - drummers rule ( followed closely behind by bass players)

7 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Guitar and banjo.

2 Likes

Sometimes I slap myself on the cheek and make weird shapes with my mouth to see what noises it makes.

So yeah, I guess you can say I’m a musician.

4 Likes

I thought you played the violin?

2 Likes

… a little bit of Guitar as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very nice guitars!!!

1 Like

I’ve played the violin for a lot of my life.

But you should hear my face slapppin’

3 Likes

I’ve played bass (upright and electric) since high school. Picked up ukulele because of portability. Was a music major in college and focused on jazz and composition. Recorded a couple of little albums a while back (so I have some stuff on Spotify iTunes etc.) Still playing with a fun little cover band.

10 Likes

So awesome!

Guitar, Ukulele, Mandolin, Banjo, Bass & Piano player. In that order.

Played ukulele the longest, then guitar.

I also do luthier work, have worked with a number of bands, and have many friends in the music industry.

Started out in the punk world, playing in punk bands in high school, but not primarily focus on Jazz/Americana/Folk and traditional Hawaiian music.

5 Likes

In my “studio” I’ve got a Dreadbox Nyx for doing pads and rhythmic stuff, a Roland System-1m and Behringer Neutron which switch off as lead/bass/rythm/pads depending on what I’m doing, and an Arturia DrumBrute for drum sounds. The System-1m and Neutron are fed through the two discrete reverb processors of a Ventris Dual Reverb pedal which is almost a digital synth in it’s own right!
Those synths are controlled via a sort of double-keytar which I built myself and which incorporates two Arturia Keystep controllers.

For the cover band I use a Casio PX-5S for most sounds and an ASM HydraSynth to supplement the synth sounds of the Casio. The Casio is a really versatile workhorse with an action I really like, and the HydraSynth is a monster as far as on-the-fly tweakability and expressiveness.

For editing my recordings I use FL Studio for it’s sample library and Ardour 6 for it’s interface and the fact that it’s a native Linux program. And it’s free which is always a plus!

Ivan

4 Likes

Ivan! You mad lad! You built your own double keytar?? I’ve got a couple midi controllers :joy:

I’m aware of the Neutron but nothing else tbh.

I also am decent with FL but I have had an Ableton mentor for a few years now.

All this gear and you’re playing pop covers? No originals? You come off as having a deep tech understanding and I love that! would love to hear your self expression

2 Likes

Beautiful music space you have for yourself sir!

2 Likes

I’ve got a few originals, mostly synthy stuff that I doodled out but I actually just submitted five songs for copyright approval so as soon as I hear back on that stuff I’m looking forward to uploading some actual structured music to my SoundCloud!

Here’s a video recorded while all the bands were shut down this last year, a guitarist buddy from another band challenged me to a guitar-vs-synth duel so this was my opening shot. (Sadly, he never responded with a video.)

Here’s one of the few originals that I recorded that has actual words and structure to it. Most of my stuff is upbeat so this one is kind of an anomaly for me.

The double keytar is basically two MIDI controllers screwed to a board with some slightly trick wiring underneath so it’s nothing really special as far as design goes. I can’t say I’ve got a deep understanding of technology, but I experiment a lot and love to build and modify my gear so I’m learning slowly! I’ve got a few of the things I built sort of documented on this page: Projects – cra Z ivn.com

So how about yourself? Do you have any originals out in the wild yet? If so, post up a link! I really enjoyed @SR1’s drumming video and would love to see what else the yo-yo community has for music creation! Maybe at some point we could all do an online collab for a song and @Theycallmecotton could use it in one of his vids!

Ivan

5 Likes

I grew up singing and majored in music in college. Dated a grad student accompanist as a sophomore and later married her. It’s been a musical household. Inspired by my older brother, I picked up electric guitar the last couple of years for some fun. Still a newbie, but having a blast.

5 Likes