Any guitar players

Every year i pick up my strat and try to learn guitar for a few months before eventually calling it quits, ive been doing this for like 10 years so naturally ive learned to play some things in 10 years of bad practice, any guitar players around here?

3 Likes

I know the slightest bit. I can get by with my chords haha.

1 Like

The drummer of my band and I have been in the same band since 1978. We haven’t played any shows since February this year thanks to Covid.

1 Like

Player and builder.

7 Likes

Been playing longer than yoyoing oddly enough. Same principles apply though. Theory and practice.

1 Like

i wish i could play guitar better, i feel like its much harder to teach yourself guitar then yoyo, after 10 years i still never know where to start or what direction to move in

I’ve been playing consistently for about 22 years now, but started almost 30 years ago. I worked in the musical instrument industry for over a decade. Have played in some bands, build guitars, repair them. I’ve also worked as a guitar tech for a number of bands.

3 Likes

Been playing the better part of my life I can remember. Before that it’s a blob of randomly activated memories that smash together.

1 Like

I know how to play guitar. I know some complicated pieces. I can pick up some songs quickly. But you start rattling off chords then you’ve lost me lol. Never learned the names.

2 Likes

Awe man to be a guitar tech. That sounds so cool! But also like being an NFL kicker. Like you’re in the background, rarely seen, but then the entire game can come down to you and when you choke, that’s entirely on you.

1 Like

Just remember the alphabet from A to G and you’ve got it.

1 Like

I tried to master the instrument, on and off, over the course of nearly three decades, and never really succeeded. I’ve built and modded numerous electric guitars and amassed a collection that I want to whittle down now that I am no longer driving in that lane (I’ve sort of switched to a very different instrument…the oboe).

Nevertheless, I absolutely adore electric guitars and will ask to be buried with my beloved Custom Shop CR7 Les Paul Gold Top.

3 Likes

Any pictures?

yeah I have a few beautiful guitars i have purchased, my girls dad is really into collecting rare and beautiful guitars and amps, so over the years hes given me a good deal on some stuff… needless to say i couldn’t even produce a solo if i wanted to, which annoys me and is why i wish i had some instruction to get me on the right track

1 Like

I think I posted this photo once before:

5 Likes

I was a good tech, can restring and take care of problems pretty fast. So never had any problems come up :slight_smile:

The funnest part was the shows you’d get to see. The funnest show was when the group I worked with opened for Cheap Trick. I know most of those guys anyway, but getting to walk the stage before the show and handle some of Rick’s guitars while Rick was there was pretty cool. I actually held the cleanest ‘59 Les Paul I’ve ever played at that show. Rick had just gotten it, looked like a brand new guitar.

1 Like

‘54 and ‘57 are my favorite Les Paul’s. Love gold tops, plan on building a ‘54 eventually.

Rick also had/has(?) the most impressive collection of original run Gibson Explorers.

1 Like

And Flying V’s. Along with one of 3 original Guild Merle Travis Models. I believe only 2 are known to exist now though.

I had one of Rick’s amps that was used at the famous Budakon show. A modified Marshall head, can’t remember the model now. I helped his son sell it. But that thing was LOUD! Sounded like that album, classic Cheap Trick.

I once played Guitar Hero.

On easy mode.

So yeah, I’m pretty much a pro!

4 Likes