Most underrated and overrated yoyos.

Here’s what I think:

I see CLYW like I see Japanese bi-metals. Limited, expensive, but really good. Most of the time the price you pay for high end yoyos is the branding. You shell out a load of money for something like a Draupnir or a Chief and you get a really good yoyo and being known as the guy who owns something like that. It’s the same in all hobbies.

On the topic of 7075 here. I really wish more yoyos were made with 7075. The problem that I see if that most people don’t really see a reason to use it. Most of the time if it is used it will be for a limited run because it’s a pain to machine. I absolutely adore 7075 because of the fact that it allows you to get suprisingly small dings without worry and the shine it gives. The downside however is that it’s more expensive to buy, machine and nobody really wants them.

On to the topic of the thread:

Overrated yoyo: Yeti. It’s a plastic yoyo made by CLYW. Refer to the above.

Underrated yoyo: Severe 2010. It wasn’t even produced for a year and coincidentally was 7075. Wish they made more because it means I can’t ever find the exact one I want.

I’m not saying that it’s entirely correct, but I believe that Mysterious is basing his/her opinion mainly on the price of the yoyo at hand. Price always seems to come up.

You see, when the topic of Dv888 vs whatever-yoyo-I-forgot, we were comparing the material, saying how they were the same but the yoyos play completely different, because of the shape, manufacturer, what-not, solely due to the fact that Mysterious is saying how all 7075 yoyos trump 6061s.

However, after the post was posted, the Mysterious decides to bring up how the comparison is unfair due to the price, not the material, shape, etc.

Forgive me for voicing my honest opinion. I am free to handle any hate that you guys shoot at me.

I really dig 7075 yoyos. I usually only purchase those and plastic.

1 Like

Want I understand from your post is that I take price in to performance?

Yes you are right. I’ve been forgetting that point that 20% reason I love my cyborg is because its only 65$.

And if wooly marmot is 70$ shipped I would might still like it. By for 100$ shipped too much cost for performance.

You know that value for money point.

Cost and performance.

I have to say that I agree with almost everyone about their selections for underrated throws and disagree with everyone about their selections for overrated throws. Of course I have yoyos that I have enjoyed more than other yoyos, but I have never thrown one and thought that it was overrated. I honestly love them all.

I’d have to agree. The ones that I’ve tried that people say are overrated have pretty much lived up to their hype, in my opinion.

Overated: the Henrys lizard yoyo is extremely overated and doesnt have a long spin time at all

Underated:Yomega MavericK is a great yoyo except for its responsiveness but you can mod that

I feel like the YYF Onestar is underrated, mostly because it’s around the same price as the Replay Pro. I use mine more than my replay, something about the wing shape of it I enjoy.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say anything good about the Lizard yoyo. In fact, most people just make fun of it, so i wouldn’t call that overrated by any means. I’d say that It’s an awful yoyo and everyone kinda knows it.

Does anybody really buy Henry’s yoyos?.. I mean, are they for real? Do they really stack up against other brands like YYF etc?

Definitely not. They’re at the same level as Spintastics.

I bought quite a few in the mid-late 90’s. They were pretty good for the time.

The one drop Yelets is pretty underrated. It’s good but it doesn’t receive much love.

In terms of an overrated throw, I haven’t played anything that’s overrated but anything over $250 just isn’t worth it.

What about the yyf dogma or proton? Haven’t played them but they look sweet. There’s zero talk about them.

Overrated: replay pro. I know they’re only 16 bucks but I didn’t really care for it at all. Even at 16 bucks, I felt that it wasn’t worth buying. But then again, that Aurora is looking mighty fine…

Underrated: pre 14’ benchmark v. Have one with a Sakura se and it’s great. Super smooth, chill but can be pushed. One of my favorite throws.

Most overrated; The Yeti.

Most underrated; the Yeti.

Interestingly the people that buy the Yeti based purely on hype seem to expect more and are consequently unimpressed.

But the people that buy it more from a ‘$50’ yoyo mentality are often happily amazed at just how much fun and function they got for their investment.

3 Likes

Underrated: Cypher
Overrated: Shutter, Bonfire

There was a point in time that the Viper was amazing. I feel like it greatly contributed to, if not started 4a.

NEEEECRRROOOOOOOOOO!

I’m throwing a new one into the mix.

So for a long time I put off buying a Onedrop Format:C after hearing mixed (and one or two unfavourable) opinions of them.

Recently however, I picked up an Ayame Edition one from YYE:

… and not only is it GORGEOUS in real life, but oh my word, what a yoyo!

I really don’t understand why a yoyo that performs so well was received with such mixed views. It’s fast, it’s stable, it’s everything you could want in a ‘competition’ yoyo. I have heard people giving it the “robotic performance” criticism (you’ll know it if you’ve played a original CZM8), but I don’t find it flavourless at all… especially compared to many other ‘robotic’ yoyos that I own.

I mean obviously everyone has likes and dislikes and there’s no accounting for personal taste. I just dont personally understand how anyone that bought a Format:C looking for a competition beast could possibly be dissapointed.

In fact I like it so much that I’ve decided that when I do finally get round to competing at Nats this year (here’s to hoping), this is the yoyo that I’m going to use. VERY tempted to buy 2 more Ayame Editions just to have a sensational looking matching competition set. :smiley:

Edit: The Ayame’s are sold out! Nooooo! :-X

Just got 3 b-grade (ano flaw) vosun petrichor 7075’s and they are soooo good. Such a good yoyo! Fast, stable, smooth, feels high quality. Don’t know if it’s been out long but I wouldn’t definitely say its underrated. I’m impressed.
Don’t love the look of the production model, mine don’t have the engravings which I think looks a lot better.

Reading through the earlier pages of the thread I found it really funny how almost every time someone brought up a throw as over or underrated someone would come in and disagree. Really shows how taste changes everything in how everyone feels in a yoyo.