Moka Pot - Espresso

To celebrate the new ZGRT Espresso Tamper Roller

11 Likes

Look at that color!!! I have the silver standard Bialetti but I wish I had one of these colorful guys. I decided on a teapot though instead of a second moka pot. Any favorite method of brewing?

5 Likes

I had a moka pot for a while and it was absolutely not for me. The majority of the time it would end up tasting slightly burned. Love them aesthetically though, but it felt like too much effort/maintenance to consistently get good coffee out of it.

2 Likes

I usually use three level teaspoons of Bustelo espresso grind coffee. I also use boutique blends from time to time.

I fill the Moka Pot base to level just below the pressure relief valve. I then use a small hot plate to heat the pot. fIt generally boils in about 5 minutes using medium heat. Once the heated water starts entering the upper chamber. I remove the pot from the heat and allow it to complete the process.

My wife and I usually use half and half cream to taste. I add about a 1/4 spoon of sugar. My wife usually uses cream only.

This particular pot makes about four espresso cups of coffee.

It is a treat. Delicious.

1 Like

I highly recomend the “American Press” coffee maker for single-serve coffee brewing. It’s a combination of French press and espresso techniques, and I’ve been making coffee with one daily for the past several years.

2 Likes

Really into “standard” espresso, with portafilters lol. I drink 2-4 every day and have a really dialed in recipe/process with my coffee, grinder, and puck prep. Its a little 3-5 minute ritual that ends in a gorgeous shot of perfect tasting, viscous, caramelly espresso with pretty awesome consistency.

18.5-18.6g freshly ground coffee in, needle distribution and leveling, spring weighted tamp, 42-43g espresso out for a 1:2.3 ratio in 32-36 seconds.

3 Likes

Sounds delicious.

1 Like

What machine do you have?

1 Like

I have the DeLonghi ECP3630 with a bottomless portafilter and IMS labs basket, Breville Smart Grinder Pro.

1 Like

A topic about coffee :heart_eyes:

This is my 10 years old Bialetti moka, I changed filter and the rubber band at least million times but this little guy travel with me everywhere.
I usually drink Lavazza rossa and it had happened some boutique coffee from Italy but for a daily basis I like Lavazza or caffè Kimbo.

For work I use a little system called Minipresso by Wakako, does a quick espresso shot on the go and it stay easy in the bag when not needed, also very easy to cleab

7 Likes

My girlfriend has an Espresso pot collection with spare/repair parts that far outshines my yo-yo collection. She can not function without her morning cup and often has a mid-day espresso boost. I think it is genetic - born in Calabria, Italy.

And I’m not complaining.

2 Likes

I was introduced to Moka while in Germany over ten years ago. My supervisors wife had one and served a tiny cup of espresso before dinner. I have been hooked every since. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahahaha I am from Sardegna, so not far and I can understand her I need at least 6 coffee a day!

Which portafilter did you get? I have the Delonghi Dedica Arte Manual, have wanted a bottomless portafilter for it but haven’t found one to fit it.

1 Like

Bialetti is so boring. It’s like drinking Guinness in Ireland. Perfectly fine, but they have 99% of the market, it would be nice to have other choices. So I’ve been looking for other designs. Hard to find.

Middle one at the bottom is Guzzini, my mother gave it to me more than 20y ago. Some kind of special edition. The others I bought during various trips to Italy. The electric moka at the top is the only Bialetti that I will admit buying. Great for hotels. Except that it is designed for Europe and 220V. It works on 110V, but that takes about 40min. The Giannina at the bottom right closes a bit diffently. Instead of screwing the top on the bottom, you just twist the handle. It clips on a knob on the bottom, and done. Very simple.

When you make coffee with moka, you’re not supposed to compact the powder. Fill the coffee, level it with the finger, that’s it. Low fire.

Typically, at home Italians have a moka, not an espresso machine. They drink moka at home, and go to the bar to drink espresso (very cheap, less than 1euro).

2 Likes

sending you a DM

1 Like

I too am a Bialetti Moka Pot enjoyer!

Cafe Bustello 7 mornings a week :wink:

2 Likes

I’m distracted by your cast iron. Maybe we need a CI thread next.

What models are they?

2 Likes

Here’s my espresso Robot.

3 Likes

Just a bunch of Lodge stuff, nothing special.

Our 12" and 8" live on the stove top and that sauce/butter pot was a recent Christmas gift.

Cast iron is the best iron flexes in kettlebell

2 Likes