Coffee Thread!

Where are my coffee aficionados at? What are we drinking, what’s your favorite bag of grounds, k cup, order at Starbucks, anything. Anyone actually start from scratch every morning with beans? Cmon boomers I know you all hate those Keurigs and k cups. Post your coffee shenanigans here!

6 Likes

I like coffee but know nothing about coffee

5 Likes

I heavily prefer drinking light roasts and I’m sick and tired of all the constant light roast slander I hear from most people irl and even online.

It has just as much flavor as dark roasts, just simply different flavor. And with your grind size, water ratio, temperature, brew time, etc. you can get either to be as strong or weak as you like. It really feels like so many people associate light roasts for some reason with being less flavorful or like “worse” than dark roasts. Even worse is how many people I know who light roast slander while only taking their coffee with any combo of milk/sugar/syrups/etc. :sob: I just like it black always.

I don’t really have much else to say about coffee. I drink a ton but it’s more a force of habit (and crippling caffeine addiction).

4 Likes

That’s okay too, what’s your favorite kind though? Light roast, medium or do you like your coffee as black as the night sky lol

2 Likes

folgers-classic-roast-instant-jar + coffee_mate_french_vanilla_0.375_0000350701_png

I’ll take some flak for this one :smiley:

I gave up on boutique coffee and just ended up going the cheap route.

5 Likes

I’m a light to medium roast guy myself! I agree you can always make it to your preference of strength. Dark roasts are just too much and they overpower anything you might wanna add to the coffee

2 Likes

Ain’t nothing wrong with a good ole classic cup of coffee! My pic is mostly my fancier stuff but I use a regular light roast blend most of the time!

Well im about to earn some hate but I’m an instant coffee person. My wife drinks Starbucks and we have k cups but I default to instant often. I do have. Grinder, French press, percolator and all that jazz I’ll get coffee beans occasionally and make a nice cup of whatever but it’s not important to me and very time consuming.

2 Likes

Ahh good another instant coffee fiend.

1 Like

If I’m going to the office which is rare I’ll just make a quick k cup or something, if I’m at home and have time I’ll usually go full on barista with creamer and syrup etc lmao our one cabinet in the kitchen is like the inside of a Starbucks

1 Like

I’m gonna disagree with this take. I make my coffee very strong, I just prefer a more acidic and floral/fruity flavor and scent to it. It’d probably be just as overpowering to you.

My parents only drink dark roasts for some reason and their coffee tastes like mildly flavored water to me lol.

I’m really not a snob or anything when it comes to coffee. Good coffee is expensive, and I drink 5-6 cups of coffee a day, so right now I’m just sipping some whatever Maxwell House pre ground light roast from a drip maker.

6 Likes

Ohhh okay I gotcha now I was confused! Still though you’re right you can take a light blend and make it however you want

4 Likes

Dark roast is my preference, but medium is good too and I do appreciate some light roasts as well. I love a good cup of espresso over ice (generally 2 shots). I did a lot of home roasting in my college dorm room a few years back and have actually been in the process of getting ready to do some of that where I live now. I love learning about coffee. Good topic.

2 Likes

Hell yeah! I agree with you about light roasts. Medium is as dark as I will get my beans, any darker and I feel like it loses the flavors I like. I usually just grind them very fine and make a double shot of espresso with some oat milk. Sometimes I make pour-overs. My love of coffee leaves me with a constant caffeine addiction but I give up at this point.

1 Like

See I agree with this, after a certain point it just becomes too bitter and overpowering for my tastes. To each their own though, my dad likes his coffee so dark and thick I’m pretty sure it’s just Mobile 1 Oil at that point

Agree. There is actually (generally) more caffeine in light roast than dark roast, which many don’t seem to understand. Once I started drinking more light roasts I can’t drink dark roast anymore, there isn’t any flavor in them, at least brewed as coffee. There are some dark/espresso roasts that I like as espresso.

I have a Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder, that is sadly on it’s last leg. Will be getting a Baratza next. A De’Longhi Dedica Deluxe manual espresso machine and a ceramic pour over coffee dripper and goose neck kettle. Just a cheap scale from amazon to take measurements.

My favorite everyday coffee is the Colectivo Indigo blend. I buy it in 5lb bags. But I love many roasters. We’ve got a great one nearby, Rockford Roasting Company, that I love as well.

I love coffee :grin:

3 Likes

Coffee was a big hobby of mine for a long time. These days it occupies much less of my time, but I still have a boatload of brewing gear and make an effort to source quality beans.

There are some fantastic roasters around Boston (George Howell, Gracenote, Broadsheet) and New England (Tandem, Bolt, etc.). I generally prefer African coffees - lighter in roast, fairly acidic, and very fruity. Most days I brew with a Chemex or a Kalita Wave. I have a Baratza grinder and Fellow kettle.

Lately I’m much more invested in what I’m drinking my coffee out of! I’m a ceramicist and mug collector, and I enjoy that part of my morning ritual as much as I enjoy the coffee itself. I must have 60+ mugs from potters I admire.

8 Likes

Klatch is my semi-local good roaster so that’s what I get, but I recently drank some Folgers at a friend’s house and it was fine. I prefer the flavor of lighter roasts grown in the Americas as of now because they’re less fruity and more “coffee-like.”

1 Like

I love a good cup of coffee! :smiley:

I’ve had the same morning coffee routine every day for the past 10 years!

Whole bean, medium roast, medium/course grind in a burr grinder, slow pour over using a gooseneck kettle, brewed in a Chemex. Makes a great cup of coffee! :coffee:

4 Likes