Modern Responsive

Now this might be a stupid question but what is the difference between modern responsive and fixed axle . Also I can’t find very many tutorials for modern responsive tricks does anybody have any tutorials I can watch to get better

2 Likes

A bearing

5 Likes

@DocPop has some modern responsive tutorials. PopCast Yo-Yo Vlog #16: Modern Responsive Yo-Yo Tricks - YouTube

2 Likes

the gap width is just very narrow. the yoyo is o ptimized for 0a stall style play, as indicated in the description. Its why the yoyo is so snappy responsive, even with a dry C-sized bearing. I added a single DifeYo thin shim to mine, and it makes 1A challenging, but doable (gotten through 4 boingy boings, buddhas revenge, and almost made it through skin the gerbil) and didnt sacrifice too much responsiveness. 2 shims made it too unreliable without any grease, but 1a was really fun that way. I like the idea of running the yoyo dry (way less maintanence), so i stuck with 1 shim.

1 Like

Bandalores on Instagram, too:
https://www.instagram.com/bandalores/

8 Likes

modern responsive is a term that was coined to describe modern, purpose designed, bearing responsive yoyos that are optimized to play like classic fixed axles. its a way to differentiate them from the more generic term “responsive” which can be seen as inferior to unresponsive in certain contexts (think budget beginner yoyos that come with a slim bearing and cheap concave bearing in the box).

fixed axle is fixed axle, modern responsive are primarily metal, bearing based yoyos. both are very often designed for the same 0A/limited 1A style play.

6 Likes

love this channel. they’ve also got a youtube.

4 Likes

Yep! I was getting tired of buying “responsive” yo-yos that didn’t consistently snap back, so I started using “modern responsive” and “semi responsive” as ways to differentiate how the yo-yo plays and what it’s goals are for tricks. “Responsive” is obviously a spectrum, so I just wanted a way to differentiate the types of yo-you I would use for stalls and regens, versus the type of responsive yo-yo someone might use for longer string tricks.

6 Likes

Your videos were my intro to “modern responsive” yoyoing, and I’ve found so much joy in how these yoyos play. The relative popularity of Modern Responsive in the last few years has sparked very creative yoyo designs from a lot of people, and I couldn’t be happier with that.

4 Likes

Huge props to Drew and Ed for pushing that style so hard and really establishing the fundamentals so we could come and play in their sandbox. This style has been such a blessing for me personally as it totally renewed my love of this hobby.

19 Likes

I guess I have a weird perspective because I was out of yoyoing the last 20 years so I didn’t experience the growth of the hobby, but as I came back to it I immediately latched onto the responsive and fixed community. In all honesty I have very little desire to play much unresponsive I have a feeling it will always feel odd to me with the bind aspect. Simply tugging a yoyo back is so engrained in how I learned to play. Obviously not putting shade on anyones preference its all yoyoing its all fun but personally I’m probably gonna devote most if not all my time to responsive and fixed play

8 Likes

What a difference a month makes. I’ve added 4 Butterfly AL’s, 3 deep states, an RBC thanks to big love in this thread and finally the yoyo that put me on the modern responsive path the G2 Respawn Doc Pop. I’m super happy and close to done. I would add a Weekender and a Saturday Market Daytripper if the opportunity arose.

22 Likes

Scrolling through the Flying V looked like it was on a chain. I thought things were getting serious.

The gamer is VERY responsive. So i know what you mean. I have mine set up with the half spec c, and im sure yours is the same way. It sucks 1a but you should be able to hit your basic mounts, split bottom, trapeze, double or nothing. Just keep at it, you just gotta clean up your play.

Offering up to $400 for a Walter if anyone knows where I can find one please let me know!!

2 Likes

I have no idea why these are so highly sought after and command such a high price. The price is because of rarity, I’m guessing.

2 Likes

@TommyBwell what yoyo is the top right with the caps? Is that a DeepState?

Deeper State. Everything else on the row is a Deep State.

So with the help of some friends I have greatly expanded my palate for modern responsives. I was sold out on the Deep States but I’m so happy to add others like the Confusion and Moon Shine. I know better than to get brand focused (please disregard my Duncan collection) because nobody makes the best of everything. I’m really enjoying branching out.

2 Likes

Especially weight. I used to think anything over 52g was too heavy. Until the 60g Butterfly came out. That taught me the benefits of additional weight. Now my sweet spot is 55-56g.

2 Likes