Mod44 - freshly dirty

My question is two fold.

1. anyone have any first hand feedback I know there is a lot floating around - does this play like a plastic throw? I have watched reviews I would like to get more feedback.

2. for those who bought that don’t have a 3D printer, do you have any leads on who is making different rim shapes for these?

7 Likes

Played a couple at yoyo club. It plays like a hybrid, but opposite of bimetal- very center weighted. I had anticipated lots of vibe from the attachments, but they fit snug and produced very little (if any). Kinda floaty.
Exceptional quality👍
IMHO

2 Likes

I am hesitant to get one of those. I just think with the use or by constantly changing the rims, somehow the gaskets will lose their properties and that will make the yo-yo to vibe.

1 Like

They were selling replacement o-rings. I expect it wouldn’t be difficult to find them elsewhere, either

3 Likes

Don’t be worried about that. O-rings are cheap and very easy to get ahold of. You should be able to buy a new one at your local hardware store if you were to damage them.

Secondly, o-rings are quite durable. They do start to dry rot and crack after a long time, and depending on temperature changes/conditions it’s in. But o-rings take many years to breakdown and become bad.

6 Likes

Thanks for this information. That makes sense.

2 Likes

I think its an okay yoyo. I like the customization aspect but thats about it. Mine has a decent amount of vibe with each ring set up but they all have a good amount of “fun” to them which is cool. If you have a 3d printer id say its worth it.

3 Likes

Also worth it if you want to support a cool company that thinks outside of the box.

I’ve heard a lot of good feedback on FB and YouTube.

2 Likes

That is exactly my fear I don’t have access to a 3D printer so I am afraid that the support coming after the initial drop comes by the way of you making your own stuff… which I don’t have :confused:

1 Like

For sure, I love freshly dirty yoyo’s the use of the D bearing has always been a cool aspect for me personally. This one just… idk…

I think they are gonna do some of their own rims down the road, just saying you’ll get more bang for your buck if you got a printer of your own.

1 Like

You can use non petroleum based lubricant on orings if you feel inclined. It’ll help prevent wear and help things seat better

4 Likes

Welp, those went fast

That’s correct. They have stated they’ll be putting out rings of various shapes and size and that this is only the beginning. They have been playing with slimline stuff and smaller rims as well. There’s been talk about some suited for responsive play and they have even prototyped metal rings but there’s nothing official for those as of yet.

There’s also a D size variant coming later on as well.

As a community, we’ll need to designate a space / threads for specific designs and developments for extra rims so they are easily accessible. There’s many of us that have 3d printers and I’m sure once they get into more hands files will start popping up. I was planning on offering prints once my printer is back up (blown controller board) so there will be at least one resource hopefully. haha!

@hobbygod You might have to re-seat the shells a couple of times and make sure the o-ring isn’t twisted or pinched. Mine is as smooth as a full metal YoYo, it’s actually shocking how smooth it is! If you put a little lube or dish-soap (or soapy water) onto the o-ring and the delrin shell, it should slide into place a little easier. I’ve taken the o-rings off and re-seated them and that has also helped smooth it out.

4 Likes

There are lots of affordable print to order companies that you could have 3D prints ordered from if you wanna try custom rims. And since some services use high end commercial printers (and even metal casting in some cases) a lot of them have some unique material options. You might even be able to tinker with some metal ideas. Shapeways, sculpteo and 3dhubs are some examples across the price spectrum.

1 Like

Have you ever heard of anyone 3D printing / lathing wood? I’ve see some mountain bikes that were 3D printed titanium, or so that’s what they called it, I’m not educated enough on the full process.

1 Like

I have printed wood filament and turned it on the lathe before and it worked surprisingly well. It’s easily sandable and will even take a finish. You “can” turn other materials that have been printed too but you have to take infill into an account because as soon as you hit that, it becomes extremely hard to cut and control due to all of the voids. But it is possible.

2 Likes

I think* 3D hubs offers a woodfill or easywood filament (they’re basically like- 30% sawdust afaik). You can treat it like wood, it kinda feels and looks like wood, but you lose any sort of grain. It’s very easy to get a variety of woods laser cut to order, but I think 3D printing options are limited to these kind of artificial filament mixes. They look cool though!
(Not my pic)

2 Likes

I never “Wood” have guessed this was a thing! Very cool!

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like