Metal Rimmed plastics

Hybrid is the technical name - but it got confused with ‘hybrid’ response - but since hybrid response isn’t being used anymore at all - we would call it a hybrid plastic/metal construction really…

Andre said this.

I just calls’em yoyos.

2 Likes

Avoid the confusion and just stick with bi-metals no matter how incorrect it is.

You can try:

Composite (3 syllables) yoyos
Duo-material (5 syllables) yoyos
Duo-weighted (3 syllables) yoyos
Metal-weight (3 syllables) plastics

Compared to the previous options:
Bi-metal (3 syllables and incorrect) yoyos
Plastic/metal (4 syllables) yoyos
Hybrid (2 syllables but confusing) yoyos
Plastic/metal hybrid (6 syllables) yoyos

Or you can just call them “metal-rimmed plastics”, as the title suggests.

I think we have to go with the plastic/metal hybrid for a general term. That covers stuff like the XCon Pro and Phenomizm that use weight rings in the middle, not the rims.

For the rest, metal-rimmed plastics can work. We can’t stick to a specific metal as different metals are used, mostly brass, steel and aluminum.

Dark magic 2 and other throws just like it plastic in the middle and metal rims(not like xcon pro)are called HYBRIDS.

Just call them bimetal or hybrids, people know what you’re referring too.

It’s not something that has to be one way…

My wife calls’em “That one.”

As in “Soooo, how much did THAT ONE cost?” :wink:

Ok, then how about “metal-ringed/weighted plastic”?

Or perhaps “composite yoyos”?

[quote=“dynikus,post:20,topic:47031”]
Like many words in English, “trick” has multiple meanings including:

“a clever action that somebody/something performs as a way of entertaining people”

As to the original topic I quite like the term “composite yoyos”.

A bitty bit offtopic.

Why are we discussing this? we all know that if someone says Hybrid or bimetal they are talking about a plastic with metal weight rings. Who cares and just let it be. :wink:

3 Likes

The point is, some people persist that 1) we don’t know whether one is referring to the response or the construction when you say “hybrid”, and 2) “bi-metal” misleading. You can’t just say “we gets it” and simply write something like this off.

So right now we have two alternatives here, one is easily confused and the other “doesn’t make sense”. Well, if we’ve already settled that the name doesn’t have to make perfect sense, then why don’t we simply call them “metal-rimmed plastics”? It is much more descriptive that either of those two, and the only stretch here is that we need to extend the definition to include mid-weight throws, which, when you think about it, does make sense if you treat it as a variation of the true metal-rim yoyos. After all, from the perspective of yoyo tech development, the mid-weight design basically evolved from the true metal-rim YYJ throws.

Though I still regards “composite yoyos” personally as the superior choice, I think this is a good compromise.

Actually, that’s a symptom of the larger problem.

We’re failing to effectively communicate and using incorrect language to improperly describe things.

Then again, I make part of my living through technical writing. I have to ensure that my choice of words is clear and accurate and that the issue at hand is being completely described properly.

Too many of us are getting lazy about the language, especially Americans when it comes to English. It’s not going to needlessly bulk up our postings to communicate with great clarity.

To me, bi-metal means “two metals used in the construction of the finished product”.
Hybrid can be an acceptable term for any yoyo using metal and any kind of plastic(including celcon, delrin and other materials) in their construction.
Hybrid response is a term used to describe the response system, typically in a plastic yoyo.
Metal-rimmed is an acceptable term to more accurately describe a “hybrid” yoyo, which would indicate that the outer portion is made of metal or at least has metal on it(such as a Speeder 2).

However, I’m now taking the conversation strictly to a level of how too many of us are not effectively using language to convey our thoughts or to describe things. That is really a different conversation.

You also don’t want me to “go there” in regards to my daily life. I’m lied to constantly, given wrong information IF I get any information, and then I’m held accountable for it. But that is yet another conversation not needed here.

Indeed, misleading or undescriptive nomenclature only leads to further chaos in what is already a messy language. especially dangerous in workplace. One may argue that this is supposed to be a casual yoyoing discussion board, there is no risk in ineffective communication as long as the point gets across. The problem though, is that the point often don’t get across. If we want yoyoing to be taken seriously, we should start with cleaning up the nomenclature and replacing them with clear terminology.

Now, the problems with “bi-metal” or “hybrid” is that the former is highly misleading and the latter undescriptive and unspecific. “Bi-metal” is entirely out of the question, then; you propose that we adopt “hybrid” and simply add an extra word to make it “hybrid construction” or “hybrid response” to avoid, correct? The rationale being that the addition of one word won’t kill anybody (except for perhaps dyslexic people) or necessarily bulk up the conversation significantly. I can’t disagree with that; however, effective communication is not only , but efficiency as well. If we can find a concise, descriptive term that won’t be confused with others, it would be best.

Hmm…

Composite yoyos?

The word simply refers to any combination of two or more types of materials from these three categories: metal, polymer, and ceramics. This is a concise, descriptive name that refers to just the right set of yoyos. It excludes bi-metals since metals are of the same family of materials.

But let’s think of as many alternatives as possible first, shall we?

Next we have “metal weighted plastic”. Now, this not only includes metal-rimmed and mid-weight yoyos, it also includes those with internal weight rings such as the Legacy and Protostar.

Why not Demi-metal? Demi is French for half. I know gpthat they are not always half metal but you get the point

Good idea, but instead of “demi-metal”, how about “semi-plastic”?

I mean, we have “full-metal” and “all-plastic”; “semi-plastic” fits in there very nicely. It’s not a mouthful like “plastic-metal hybrid”, or pretentious like “composite yoyos”, and has an even nicer ring to it than “metal-weighted plastics”.

This thread reminded me, I have to go buy some metal-plastic thingies.

THEY ARE CALLED HYBRIDS ACCORDING TO ANDRE. END of discussion.

1 Like