MB's Powder Thread! Come & see the power of powder!

They are amazing

Can we get some sneak peeks of mine Mr Bob? I’m getting anxious. :o

Oh. And did you get a pic of the Levi before stripping it?

All I can say is this: Bob’s work is even better in person. He takes better pics than I do, so I won’t be posting more pics, but I got my throw back today, and it is amazing.

There is a little more vibe than I remember, but it may just be I don’t remember. It may also be tune-able. None the less, I am not one of those crazy vibe-free required kind of guys, so the slight vibe doesn’t bother me in the least. It certainly doesn’t effect the play.

It is pretty much amazing. Absolutely gorgeous.

My only complaint is my own fault to an extent. I don’t think the magenta is as magenta-y as I’d like. It is a little more towards the pink side. To be totally fair to bob, I picked it out at the powder supplier’s web site, so this is totally on me. Despite the fact that I’d like a little more magenta in the color, it is stunning. I only care about the color because I am trying to match my company’s logo colors. Other than the imperfect match, it is really great.

The blue/black section is perfect. Smooth as glass. Exactly the right colors.

I will be doing more work with Bob to be sure.

Yea. I have a great Nikon camera but its only as good as its user. I’ve dabbled around on some photography forums just enough to input all the optimal settings but that’s about it. I’d really like to get into macro pics and the lenses aren’t too expensive but need to get better grasp on point and shoot before take that step. I have coral reef tanks and super close up pics are amazing when done by someone that knows what they are doing.

I’m sure Mr Bob’s work is even more beautiful than is great pics reveal. I have a Levi peak that he stripped and a TiWalker being done. Both are being done with the same colors but different schemes. Had to think about the Levi being stripped for a bit but since it was beat up rather good I decided to have it done in the mountain colourway.

The M1 was mine lol, the chips are from me being a bit careless while removing the response.

I also was a bit disappointed in the Magenta. Both in the shimmer and color. From time to time the colors “shown” don’t always come out in real life. I use to think, when I first started, it was something I was doing incorrect but as I learned more and more I realized that they do vary from time to time. A green, gold and two types of orange I have also are not quite what I had expected. Lighting is a big deal with how things look I do know that.

As far as the vibe goes this is how I usually gauge everything I do. First a quick disclaimer-ish word. I am not much of a yoyoer myself. I can throw a little bit and have enough skill to know what’s up. Mitchell, my son, is the man of the house in the yoyo game. With that said the way I usually “test” after a powder coat goes like this. Get a good hard throw and let it sleep. With a finger I will stop any vibe if present and take note of what happens after that. If the vibe starts back up then it’s usually from the powder coat. Most of the time I can even tell what side it may be from how it’s spinning. If it spins from there on out with no vibe than it’s usually safe to say I just suck and can’t get a decent throw from the start. Many times a little tuning can help the situation.

Some things I have learned along the way. YYR’s in general are very finicky with the powder. It’s safe to say they are a fairly highly tuned throw. Some throws like a CLYW Chief for instance will eat up just about anything you throw at them. I believe the weight rings play a major role with this. The Peaks are another tough hombre, a little more compact in nature they take abuse nicely.

A pic of a Midlifeyoyoman’s TiWalker he sent to have powder coated.
TiWalker that needs to be lettered yet.

Midlifeyoyoman’s Peak project. An original Levi painted Peak that had seen better days.

1 Like

Looking good Mr Bob. How’s the fade goin on the peak? Testing your skills or what? The half and half looks good but hard to see the detail of the seemless fade.

Very sad to see trevlors peak stripped away. Even though it’s beat up they were $125 each to get those paint jobs and the damage just gave it personality. 1 less painted peak on the market unfortunately.

Those two beautiful yoyos were just ruined.

2 Likes

Hit the thank you by accident.

Curious if anyone knows what they may be talking about?

The Ti now has a powder coat on it. The actual fact of the matter is the surface will be protected for the duration of the powder coating. If someone should get tired of it a simple strip will bring it right back none the worse for wear.

Who knew what was under that coat of paint? Only me and the guy who painted it. No wonder it was painted!!

The fade is chilling out in my shop. That pic is only of the peak prior to cure.

As far as I’m concerned those are your throws and you can do whatever/whenever you like to them. People are so stuck in their ways with how things “should” look its laughable.

Kudos my friend.

The black with pink peak was just a fairly recognizable peak painted by the same person who did the OG peaks so it had some uniqueness to it as well as who it was originally painted for. Although it’s passed through a goo amount of hands and gained a significant amount of damage it still was very recognizable due to it’s remaining paint. I understand that the current owner wanted it refinished and that it’s their choice. It’s just sad to see something lose it’s features that made it so well known. I appreciate that you think it’s laughable though.

3 Likes

Ignorance is bliss at times Mr Bob!!! I assume both throws are in better condition now than before reaching you.

Yea I have all the faith in your fading skills or wouldn’t have asked for such details but was just curious if they tested your skills after our convos about each powders properties.

Don’t mind those who don’t understand what prep work is involved prior to your work. Yeah, sure I had Levi’s “paint” stripped but that paint didnt help protect the throw in any way and to top it off the thread/paint alignment was awful. Piece of First run Levi history just became First run Mr Bob history with an even better “colourway” is how I see it.

Mucho props for your skills from a fellow artist that can’t touch your talent on yoyos.

I had to think long and hard about stripping the paint but it was truly not a piece of art anymore as the abuse and misalignment were just too much for me to appreciate as a part of history. If it were an OG that would be different but this was just a random peak that passed through Levi’s hands. In person it was actually quite ugly to be blunt.

I just have to add this even though its not relivant to the history behind the Levi painted peaks. It is relivant to my first acquired peak. I only bought this because of “when” it was made since that is my wedding year and the colourway is my wedding colors. I’m a fan of art and collectibles but when such items are in a condition that their value is deminished to a certain extent then they aren’t “truly” collectibles any longer to the “casual” collector. Sure, it still had history but that isn’t lost but only changed.

Bob, Do you recommend MFD Buff?

I had to google that. I’ve never used it so I usually don’t recommend anything I haven’t tried myself.

Guys, its a yoyo, get over it. It’s not like it was worth much anyways, it was beat to crap.

I’m with bob and MLYYM on this one. It’s not like he painted over a DaVinci while watching bob ross on pbs. He stripped and refinished a damaged yoyo.

I think Bob’s powder work looks better than the painted peaks that I have seen anyway. I don’t know why these painted peaks get such amazing reverence, to me they just don’t look that great.

2 Likes