Magnesium yoyos

Yeah like plastic! I’d probably buy a delrin yoyo instead

1 Like

Good luck to them!

1 Like

I think after what I’ve heard from @yyfben2.deactivated, I’m going to stick to plastic for my low denisty throws, which has really similar denity to Mg anyway.

2 Likes

I believe @yyfben2.deactivated’s comment of “Like plastic” was a half-joking response to @Pous2002’s description on magnesium’s “impact resistance” and being “a good choice against stuff like dinging” and nothing nothing related to density.

Plastic and Magnesium do NOT feel like they have the same density at all. Magnesium feels like you’re holding a chunk of very smooth pottery. Very dense, despite being (apparently) lighter than aluminum.

In fact, this feeling has me almost never touching / playing my Mgska. I just cannot get out of my head the idea that dinging the yoyo will result in it shattering into a million pieces. Not sure if anyone else has this same irrational fear with their magnesiums.

1 Like

No it isn’t. Its marginally more dense than POM.

You aren’t wrong in terms of magnesium’s main failure mode. You are right that like ceramics it would be more prone to brittle failure(shattering). But for this to happen you would need to hit it REALLY hard. My main point is that it is a metal that does not deform easily, especially if you use the right alloying element. What I’d be more concerned about is how it is finished, as scratches to the finish could cause the metal to react in undesirable ways. I’d say if you are looking for something that plays like magnesium a better alternative would be POM or delrin since they also have low density materials but none of the manufacturing shortcomings magnesium has. And just to expand on @yyfben2.deactivated 's comment on plastic, I guess what he meant was that those desirable characteristics like the floaty feel and durability are also found on plastic yoyos but in a more practical way.

I’d also like to point out that while there are more practical ways of making a similar feeling yoyo… that’s not why we would buy magnesiums lol. It’s honestly amazing that companies are pushing to make novel concepts come alive and I hope more come out in the future, they are so sick

2 Likes

Anyone stupid enough to pay big bucks for a Magnesium yo-yo, is a Complete Idiot.

If their brains could be magically converted into a Flashlight, they would not produce enough light to see 6 inches.

I am the Presiding President of the IMSS. (International Magnesium Simpleton Society). To share any correspondence with me, just scratch your words on a rock and drop it off at the local Post Office. In the address corner, just write ‘Cave on Shadow Mountain’, and it will get to me.

I have 2 Death Robots, a Gachiska, a Derivative and a Radix and 4 Duncan MG yo-yos.

PS… I am not a Complete Idiot. I am still missing a few parts.

And I must admit, I ‘do’ have an IQ. I thinks it’s around 100? At least that’s what Yoyofactory said I paid for it😉

7 Likes

Well I have choices. I can either buy a Turning Point Mgska, or thicknesser to significantly cut down the time it takes to make wooden yoyos. Im leaning towards the thicknesser. Lol

3 Likes

Pom/Steel hybrid when? (pls?..I love my Monarch and it would be even nicer with some slick feeling POM.)

2 Likes

You want me to hand make that?

1 Like

There were POM/steel versions of the C3 Pory Crash, fwiw.

2 Likes

In a perfect world id say, “yes please, if you don’t mind” but i know that’s ridiculous to Ask lol :rofl::pray:

1 Like

I can actually make that, I just need some steel rings. Maybe, @yyfben2.deactivated has some.

Needless to say, the price would be sky high.

3 Likes

I’ll have to check around. That sounds amazing.

EDIT…@hsb Not to be found anywhere it seems. Oh well, life goes on.

2 Likes

Using magnesium for yoyos is pretty gimmicky. I personally am not a fan of magnesium yoyos. Magnesium is softer than your standard 6061 and less durable. The material strips and deforms easier than standard 6061. I had a Freehand MG strip pretty easily and I had to install some threaded inserts to repair it. The only real redeeming quality is the material is lighter than 6061. And as mentioned before, raw magnesium is HIGHLY reactive and will oxidize at the drop of a dime. The high price point comes from the material being dangerous to machine (magnesium can combust while being machined) and the price of the material itself. For a fraction of the price of any magnesium yoyo, you can buy something that’s more durable and probably also better performing.

6 Likes

Okay

Most individuals who have taken a hostage have experienced the magnesium used in flashbangs :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It may feel awkward in first throw because it’s floaty than you’ve expected - feels like much more luxourious plastic I think :slight_smile:
I only used alnilam which is bimetal so I don’t know about much of mg, but I’m sure that one throw could be really addictive

4 Likes

Also just noticed this: Slash yo-yo by something – YoYoExpert

3 Likes

There was a POM/Stainless Steel Draupnir a while back. Not sure if it was discontinued :frowning:

2 Likes

Yep it its discontinued from the manufacturer along with the sub brand (Rebellion) that Kengo Kido created, all of his budget line ups are so underrated and the hype died around 2016-2017 thus creating a new one called yyr AE (Alter Ego)

2 Likes