Magnesium Yoyo

Hey guys I am thinking about getting a magnesium Yoyo. This will be my first yoyo made out of magnesium. Before I get it I wanted to know some opinion about this material. Does anyone know what particular characteristics does it have compered with other materials like aluminum or titanium. How well it last in time ?
Thanks

4 Likes

No one has any experience with magnesium yoyos ? :frowning:

2 Likes

no, they rare yoyos.

5 Likes

If you are really looking for an exotic experience you should try and get your hands on a sodium or potassium yo-yo. That’ll really spark.

3 Likes

You either buy a Duncan MG. Or a death robot MG. Or you get a Magnum.

7 Likes

I want a Magnum so hard.

1 Like

Water would just make them explode with excitement right?

2 Likes

YoYo Friends is going to be dropping one on May 30th.

6 Likes

yeah the key is to not breath on it too much lol!

I work as a chemist and sometimes I ■■■■ around and have fun with alkaline earth metals… nothing like throwing a 5 gram chunk of pure potassium into the creek behind your house and watching it explode

2 Likes

Look who’s back! You must have some kind of Magnesium radar.

4 Likes

Nothing all that special with magnesium yo-yos. Imo, for the price range, I’d much rather pick up a titanium yo-yo, which is much more durable and does not have the issue of heavy oxidation over time if the surface isn’t treated. Threading also strips easier because of the softness of the material.

The material is mostly a gimmick. There’s arguments for its usage since it’s lighter than aluminum but supposedly equally as strong as your standard 6061 Al, but realistically, can anyone really make a better playing yo-yo with this material than anything widely available on the market as is?

9 Likes

In the same way people make ti organics with ridiculously thin walls just for the sake of having a unique yoyo experience, magnesium is a bit of the same. You can make yoyos with incredibly thick walls and rims that you’d expect to play like a dense brick, but it still plays very light. You could definitely call that a gimmick, but it’s a gimmick plenty of people like enough to enjoy the material. There’s more arguments for the practical utility of ti though, but for both ti and mg a lot of it boils down to “you can design yoyos that feel different with different materials.”

That’s the benefit of magnesium. Being practical or not isn’t the point so much as is the fact that it just feels different to play. It’s not better or worse, just different. It seems like a lot of companies are interested in cashing in on the novelty and interest in mg now. Yoyofriends has a new mg model coming out soon, Duncan is working on a new mg release, and Turning Point has been consistently prototyping new mg models.

If magnesium seems interesting and you can afford it, pick one up. It’ll be very unique from anything else you own.

10 Likes

I can afford one. My concern is with the durability in time especially oxidation of the yoyo. I want to get a anodised one. Does anyone have any insight on this subject?

1 Like

I know that there is a Generalyo Magnum that Ernie had powder coated. I am unsure of answering the anodizing aspect but I’ll tag him as he would likely have a lot of knowledge.

@the_general

2 Likes

As long as there’s some kind of surface treatment it’ll protect against oxidation. The issue with powder coating however is every single part of the material needs to be covered, with powder coating you can’t really cover the bearing seat. The Freehand MG was fine since it used spacers, but otherwise powder coating isn’t the best option. Not sure about how anodizing works with MG, but nickel plating was done on the Magnum and seemed to work fine.

6 Likes

If you get any of the current TP magnesium lineup you probably won’t be disappointed and at this point they have a shape and size for all preferences. Magnum is really good for how old it is now but will be wayyy too hard to find and expensive.

I find overall MG plays a little floatier than Titanium. Definitely has a very different play experience. Worth trying out.

6 Likes

Cannot anodize mag. Ano uses electricity. Too dangerous

4 Likes

The Generalyo Magnum is not powder coated but nickel plated.
As for the considerations on magnesium as a metal for yoyos, I have always had my idea, I have experienced it several times and I continue to support it, it is a metal that is absolutely not suitable for yoyoproduction for the following reasons:

• specific weight too low, this implies that it must be either a bimetal (with the various problems of assembly fragility) or monometal that has very large thicknesses such as to compromise its free weight distribution (for being a standard size and weight yoyo).
  • hardness that relative to its specific weight is slightly greater than that of aluminum but in absolute terms is less and therefore, with the same impact, it is more damaged and its thread is also more subject to irreparable breakage
  • it suffers a lot from corrosion problems if in contact with humidity
  • it is not a rare material (the bodies of semi and professional chainsaws are all in magnesium, since the end of the 1950s) and its problems during the processing phase, which exist, are still very manageable, this video demonstrates how a hobbyist , with hobby machinery can safely and safely work it
    Turning A Magnesium Ring V1.1 - YouTube
    therefore, the prices of magnesium yoyos have always been, in fact, completely unjustified if not only by the “novelty effect” … but in the end the facts are right and if for over 10 - 12 years this type of yoyo, despite various attempts (spiced up with a certain hype at times) have never caught on enough to remain “rare” the reason why there will have to be.
6 Likes

sorry Ernie but your Magnum is nickel plated … and also the galvanic cover to nickel, zinc, copper, etc. use electricity … so this is certainly not the problem.

Yeah, agreed that it was nickel plated.

I was mentioning that there was a one off that was powder coated.

4 Likes