Magnesium Yoyo

The new Cloudstrike from yoyofriends is anodized. They didn’t understate how much of a challenge the anodization process was though. Interesting little write up on it if anybody is curious

6 Likes

sorry I didn’t know …

2 Likes

No worries, I worded my original post unclearly.

Side note, if anyone has a Magnum for trade, hit me up.

2 Likes

note the thicknesses in fact …
the problem of temperature growth in the anodic oxidation process is also significant on aluminum and in fact the appearance is controlled … the magnesium however, as visible from this very interesting link, suffers from acquiring the pigment and its oxide is not at all hard like that of aluminum (where it becomes an authentic protective layer) … you can see it very well from the fading caused by frictions … in the end the only color they managed to get is very similar to that of the natural material in fact and I don’t know how much it can remain in that uniform way due to the oxidation of ambient humidity.

2 Likes

Haha magnesium being very combustible is right! I remember I was fixing up an MG once and while turning it on the lathe the shavings suddenly ignited!

4 Likes

it also happened to me when I tried to make the yoyo in titanium with my lathe, in the finishing passes, passed by half a tenth of a millimeter, a thin skein-shaped chip was created that with the heat of friction caught fire

1 Like

The anodize type 2 can result in fusing if the material touches the side of the tank when submerged. Not nickel

1 Like

eh, then the problem is not the electricity itself (and in fact Yoyofriends has anodized it) but an incorrect execution of the procedure.
Thanks anyway for the clarification.