New Mg YoYo from YoYoFriends - The CLOUDSTRIKE!

From yoyofriends: In April 2021, after the release of the Vulture, we set out to produce and master our first magnesium yoyo - The Cloudstrike!

CloudStrike-01 CloudStrike-02

Mg has a density in between polycarbonate and aluminum, so not very dense at all. Thus enables us to make the yoyo that looks like a tank but plays decently fast and floaty. Magnesium also has high tensile strength, shock resistance and abrasion resistance. We were able to keep the wall thin while fine tuning the weight distribution to increase the speed of the yoyo.

Cloudstrike-Extra

We named this yoyo Cloudstrike because the yoyo feels like a cloud due to its size and somewhat floaty nature, but once pushed the power and performance unleashes, striking down any tricks with ease!

Release postponed

11 Likes

So, would anyone care to describe the surface texture feel of an MG yoyo. The one’s I’ve seen all look to have rough, porous, raw finishes. Like a light sandblast. Can they be polished or no?

1 Like

I was going to respond, but I don’t think i’ve ever really felt the finish, I only touch them with gloves so I don’t make any marks lol

4 Likes

Is this raw magnesium? Is there concern to the degradation of the material over time?

2 Likes

I believe all mg throw have to be coated

The one I touched reminded me of a chalkboard

The white finished Mag yo-yos have a fine velvet like texture. It’s primary function is not appearance based but more a protective barrier to keep the Magnesium from oxidizing.

Even though the texture gives a sense of thickness, the coating is thin. I certainly would not try polishing it.

You can put something like Monkeybuff wax on it.

The wax would help soil and oils from imbedding into the surface of the finish.

10 Likes

I believe the finish is simply a layer of magnesium oxide, MgO, which is oxidised magnesium to keep the magnesium beneath from reacting. A bit like the clear anodising on aluminium yoyos.

4 Likes

Hi! I have 2 raw magnesium cloudstirke and they are fine. I think it’s treated even at its raw form. The finish will further prevent it from oxidize.
We have an entire story of the cloudstrike here.

8 Likes

That white is striking. It doesn’t look real. It looks like cgi.

3 Likes

We will be postponing the Cloudstrike release, sorry for the invonvenience!

4 Likes

It looks almost exactly like that IRL, too.
I don’t know if it’s from time or use, mine is just a shade darker, but still incredibly striking in person. One of the most elegant finishes I’ve seen on a yoyo.

1 Like

YoYoFriends found something in this run they wanted to fix before releasing, Mg is tricky and they just want to get it right for the first release. No ETA, but we will make an announcement again and release when we get the new shipment.

7 Likes

Tonight the Cloudstrike is finally releasing! Available starting at 8PM ET!

6 Likes

Someday I will own a white magnesium yo-yo. They look so clean and unlike other stuff on the market. What kind of finish is that? Is it powder coating?

I think it’s simply anodised magnesium, maybe with a clear coat over it to further reduce the risk of corrosion.

1 Like