Micro-Arc Oxidation Ceramic Coating (aka Moonrock) yoyos

I’m thinking of getting the Deviant+. The TItanium Grey, brandon blue, and magnesium white are all sick colors. Magnesium is 10$ more, plus it cuts string. Should I get Magnesium or should stick to a regular color without that magnesium finish? Anyone with Magnesium and regular Deviant+ give me a review please?

1 Like

Afaik the “Magnesium white” colourway on Offset’s throws is the same finish as Moonrock and I and quite a few others have had issues with this finish (which for some people was worse than just string cutting): Moon Rock Bearing Post Issue?

Brandon’s been very good at making the string cutting issue clear, unlike some other brands unfortunately, and masking the hub should help a lot with string cutting.

That said, I would still just avoid the colourway and choose one of the other options personally. Better safe than sorry.

Also, I’m sure you know but just so it’s clear, the white colourway isn’t actually a magnesium yo-yo. That’s just the colourway name.

3 Likes

If you really like that Magnesium colorway on that Deviant+ I’d say go for it. I do have a Deviant+ in said colorway and I can’t confirm that it cuts strings. Compared to my Outlier+ in the Titanium colorway I only had a bit more fray during my first two throwing sessions. After that I couldn’t see or feel any difference between those two throws when it comes to string fray or cutting.
If you want to get a Deviant+ through bst let me know. I have a mint one for sale which has been played a little and has a smoothed out catch zone.

1 Like

yeah i know it’s not actually magnesium