White metal yoyos?

How come I don’t see any white metal yoyos for sale? And I don’t mean “clear” or silver, but white. After all, I see plenty of matte or glossy black yoyos, so why not matte or glossy white?

Also have we arrived at a consensus yet on what to call the “trumpet” horn shape? Would it be considered the fifth canonical yoyo shape in modern yoyos?

The last batch of MMCs had some white ones

You can’t anodize white.

5 Likes

What about powder coating?

That’s the only way other than paint. I think ceramic is technically an option but it isn’t ideal.
Edit: the thing about paint and powder coat is that they impact dimensions (and weight) so you have to mask areas with tight tolerances

Is that middle one supposed to be white? One Drop calls that “clear” and it isn’t really white, but just a brighter shade of silver/raw.

mmc

Oh, my bad. I thought these were white, but they are silver plated. Looks super clean thoughScreenshot_20181109-134433

5 Likes

Yeah, in the right light they do almost look white! Beautiful!

1 Like

Those are so good! I kick myself for not getting one :man_facepalming:t3: Silver tarnishes super fast too.

Mark has been shredding one in the last several videos that he’s shared on his insta

5 Likes

That’s close enough to white for me! :+1:

Looks clean huh?

Yeah, it’s gorgeous. Wish I had one now… :star_struck:

1 Like

And what about my second question? The “horn” shape. I think @codinghorror wanted to call it “U”? Is it common enough to be considered the fifth canonical yoyo shape right now?

If not, what would be the fifth? Is there one (that isn’t just a combination of the other four in some way)?

Unfortunately the Poker Face is sold out…

https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/products/poker-face-yoyo-by-whimsy?variant=12072147255370

But you’re definitely looking at a powder coating to get true “white”. Whimsy did this thing bacl in Feb where they offered ALL their yo-yos in white powder coat for a bit last year, it was suuuuper cool.

I ordered one but my order got mysteriously cancelled :frowning:

Oh, wow, that is really cool. So it can be done!

Though I wonder if they cancelled orders because the powder coating compromised performance too much?

I don’t think so. Powder coat when done properly won’t add any noticeable amount of vibe or performance issues. I have a few powder coated yoyos and they all play great.

Well I wouldn’t go quite that far. It is common for powdercoating to introduce some vibe. Remember the whole run of powder coated Grails that all had to be sold as b-grades?

I submit that they weren’t done properly then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right, but powder coating is a much more risky endeavor than, say, anodizing. There can be cosmetic issues, sure, but I’m not aware of any anodizing gone so wrong that it introduced actual vibe!

1 Like