Magic Yoyo

Wildkitty you should try a n12. It has a pretty nice blast and is 6061.

my t5 has taken some extreme abuse and still plays as good as day 1.

1 Like

I think, in this debate, it’s important to consider that Chinese yoyo companies don’t often sponsor or support contests or players within the US. By buying their yoyos, you aren’t helping the niche manufacturers that currently support awesome contests like PNWR and Cal States, or help players from across the country show up. I’m not saying that this won’t change in the future, but it’s worth considering.

I also don’t think that flooding the US market with cheap yoyos from Chinese companies is a good way to grow the scene. There are plenty of low-cost options from US-based companies (Duncan, Yoyojam, Yoyofactory) which appeal to the entry-level section of the market.

That said, there are definitely exceptions to the rule. KingYoStar had a great presence at PNWR this year, they’re sponsoring a few great players from the US, and their yoyos are sweet. If you’re trying to be a smart consumer, think about where your money is going, instead of just how much you’re spending.

I’ve seen pictures of Asian contests where barely any to no North American companies are sponsors… Where do you draw the line? Should every company support every contest in every country?? P.S. that’s cool of KingYoStar. I think we should keep our eyes on who sponsors Worlds this year and more specifically the years to come.

TBH, would you want to see MYY at our local contests? We can barely get them in a couple shops… what would the reaction be at a contest? Not really giving them much hospitality. Also, something that interests me… is how on other U.S. based shops, MYY is marked up, yet still sells out… There are profits for our stores to make off these. I mean, do you guys shop at Walmart? That’s pretty much a Chinese Department Store but in English.

Which brings me to my next quesiton. If MYY prices were on par with c3’s… (let’s say ~$60-$180)… would you have less a problem with them?? Let’s also take into account that they’d probably have a more shnazzy ano if they cost that much.

I’m really confused on this subject now.

1 Like

I feel like the people that are going to those Asian contests should probably be buying yoyos from the Asian sponsors of those contests, you know? I think it’s important for people to buy yoyos from companies that sponsor players they like, contests they go to, etc.

If MagicYoyo had booths/players at local contests, and sponsored local players, I think that would be sweet! I definitely think it’s a bit of a catch-22 for them- they can’t get fans in the US without getting into US shops, but they can’t get into US shops without fans in the US. I think the important part for these companies, as far as breaking into the US market is concerned, is design innovation. The “bootleg” stigma, for the most part, is the thing that’s keeping them out of our market.

Again, it depends on how involved they are in US yoyoing. C3 sponsored Worlds this year; MYY didn’t.

Granted, Worlds is supposed to be an “international” contest, but in practice, it’s basically a US contest where international players are welcomed. Thankfully, this is changing next year, with the Prague contest and all.

I’m also confused with how Magic YoYo got labeled a “Bootleg” company. All their designs are original.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens for sure… I wouldn’t consider MYY to be bootleg though. Sure the T5 has a similar shape of another yoyo, but completely different specs and plays completely differently. Also, yes, they borrow the hubstack thing. Tons of companies have though, and to be honest YYF wasn’t the first… but it’s neither here nor there, I hope MYY doesn’t produce anymore hubstack yoyo’s period :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, like I said, it’ll be interesting to see what happens. I’ll still be buying metals from Asia, Europe, and North America. I have them sorted in my case by what continent they came from then by the company. Pretty cool. Can’t wait to get my Buttermouse Rush ;D

Well I got a n5 and t9. The n5 had a great bearing sleeping really long. The t9 was loud becuase of the z-stacks. I took them off and it played great. Both had same bearing and were pro! My frined who got the n9, had a terrible bearing and a completely broken z-stacks with worn out reponsive pads. It seemed like he got a used one from a cheap retailer. I think the better seller you get the better ir will be.

P.S(First Scratch on n5 EGGGGGGGRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!)

After reading what skyhighyo had to say about the n12 I picked one up last night… for $14 haha. How does it even ship from China for this cheap?

Nice! What color did you get?? Dark Blue looks so nice :slight_smile:

I have -no idea- how they work the shipping. I think International Shipping is handled very different in Asia, it has to. They probably make contracts and make payments to USPS to handle all of their EMS shipments. I have no idea though. It doesn’t make any sense for shipping from China to be free, but if I were to ship a package locally it could cost upwards of $10 for even a simple package.

P.S. The n12 will probably be screwed together pretty tight. You’re going to need a solid grip to unscrew it. Also, the bearing is pretty snug, kind of like a YYF, so make sure you have a bearing tool removal handy. I do not have a bearing removal tool, but I find that using a 7/32" hex key or allen wrench and gently wiggling works very well.

Not sure if my bearing required cleaning out of the box, but I always clean my bearings straight up.

this.

I am pretty new to “modern” yoyo play (I threw for a few years in the 90s) and after hearing decent things in this thread I ordered a few myy last night

I got an n12, n6, and n8 for just under $50 shipped from a US based seller, they should be here this week.

I figured it was a good way to experience some different yo yo sizes/styles without bringing on wife aggro by breaking the bank account

Good job man, you saved yourself an ear full from the wifey :slight_smile:

You made some fantastic choices. Those throws will forever serve you well. N12 is hands down amazing and the best of the N-Series. N6 has always been popular, I’m sure it will surprise you when you receive it… as most people get the feeling it’s much wider than it really is ;] And I heard the N8 is a great pocket throw!! Definitely a nice variety of shapes/sizes for ya!

It’s fair to say that their Hubstacks are a stolen idea. Other than that, nothing really bootleg to be seen here.

Nobody really wants stacked MYY’s anyway. I mean, I think the N9 is the best Hubstacked yoyo out right now. Sure they are loud as heck for a couple sec, but on the contrary they go pretty silent compared to YYF’s constantly noisy hubstacks. but if hubstacks were dropped from MYY’s line-up, I would not be sad in the slightest.

Yes, and also using concave bearings on a yoyo without crediting Dif-e-yo.

Still, I think when most of the under-educated people say “Hey, aren’t they a bootleg company?” they are talking about the design of the yoyo itself. As far as I can tell, none of those are bootlegs.

I’m just curious if they have a longer history than what I’m aware of and indeed once upon a time had blatant bootlegs at the yoyo design level.

It’s possible that they have made a direct bootleg in the past. I think people have an issue because the T8 looks similar to a G5 without stacks, and the T5 looks like a scaled down Sleipnir, IMO though they were probably just inspired by the Sleipnir.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think I’ve seen yoyo’s outside the US being sold (by companies other than MYY) with Concave bearings. I mean, concave or grooved bearings have been around, it’s just the application of concave bearings inside a yoyo that is patented. I looked it up cuz I was wondering about Pulley’s and if there had been super small ones (C-Bearing Sized), that were essentially just a bearing with a concave outer race. I was like “How could you patent a concave bearing, when they’ve been around for Pulley systems for so long”. Then I found out it was for the application of yoyo’s.

It makes me wonder, what if “Response grooves” or “silicone response”, or basically the modern response system we use today, was patented, and only 1 company could do it. Hmm… That would suck.

How …clever of you.

The lack of critical thinking in this thread is literally breathtaking.

The reasoning here; again, is that yo-yo’s are overpriced by a cabal of rich, greedy yoyo manufacturers that are all conspiring to keep yoyo prices sky-high and deny US. twelve year-olds the right to buy cheap yo-yo’s from China. Meanwhile, back at the Chinese ranch, Chinese entrepreneurs and highly trained chinese machinists and engineers are working tirelessly in support of the betterment of the yoyo community. They only want to create yo-yo’s for 12 year old American kids that they can sell for $14 shipped from the Chinese mainland so that more kids can get their hands on yo-yo’s and support the worldwide movement. I mean, its almost like these guys are heroes.

Is that about right? I mean, do you guys even listen to yourselves?

Do you ever ask questions about Magic Yo-Yo? Like: why are your prices so cheap compared to others? How is it that you can make money - or even justify the activity of actually packaging and sending a product from China to the US for $14? Where do you buy raw materials that make a yoyo for less than $14? Your anodization - who does that for free?

Get a clue.

Geezer… Just want to pick your brain a little bit.

Say CLYW had their own factory and produced their yoyo’s themselves. Let’s assume all the numbers are the same, from the costs to the number of output, to the efficiency, all of that.

How much aluminum do you think they would buy at a time?
How much aluminum do you think MagicYoYo buys at a time?

Onward…

Where do you draw the line? Is it okay for YYF to outsource to China, and produce yoyo’s in a massive scale, and have them sold in every Toys R Us as long as they sponsor National contests? Is that the trade off? They have to give back to the community by doing so much, before their business ethics are accepted? Just curious here

Concave bearing patent work just in USA. In other parts of world, maybe over half of yo-yo manufacturers use concave bearings, mostly made in China. And when they want it to sell in USA, they just change it to flat or centrac.

One thing noone mentioned is supporting yo-yo shops. When you buy something from YYE, you give them sources for buying new yo-yos and also for sponsoring contests. If you buy from random Chinese guy of Ebay, who sells hundreds of other things, you support nothing.

So what are you saying? They are losing money to hurt other yoyo companies? According to my research Magic yoyo brand ahs been around since 2006. Looks like they might be doing alright for themselves.

They seem to do everything in house, there is a massive savings there. Labor is cheaper in China, but some “American” companies are also taking advantage of that. Large, wholesale purchases of raw materials can get companies huge discounts over small purchases.

Sorry if you don’t like that they have decided on the business plan of small profits on large volume vs. larger profits on smaller releases.

Well, I’m not an expert on this, but I would guess their low prices are mainly a combination of two things. The first is that the company is from Indonesia and they manufacture in China. We all know that one can get labor in China for much cheaper than in the US, and from what we’re learning in my Eastern Hemisphere class right now it seems like it would also be cheaper in Indonesia. Second, most people buy their MYY off eBay, where prices are naturally lower. If you buy a MYY from an actual yoyo store, the prices are closer to $30-40. Yes, there are yoyo stores that sell them.