Lost package?

I’ve kinda been hesitating on posting this cuz I think it’s kind of a dumb situation but I guess I want input at this point. I was thinking of posting this on the fb group but these kind of posts tend to get flamed and I’m not trying to deal with that.

Anyway, long story short, I bought 10 bearings for $55, never received it. Guy claimed he shipped it after I asked him about it a little over a week after the fact, but I never got it. He never told me shipped it beforehand and said he must’ve just forgotten cuz he had multiple packages going out. I asked for tracking, he said he doesn’t get tracking for packages under $100 unless specifically asked cuz it’s pricy(he’s in Canada). I told him I wanted a refund cuz I never got the package and bad communication, he said I’m not getting a refund because he did ship it, but he said he would send me another reimbursement package.

I don’t really want a reimbursement package though, and I have a feeling it’ll barely be worth what I spent. Normally, I would find the lack of communication and tracking as major red flags but this guy is pretty reputable and has done lots of transactions. I feel like I should still get my money back though.

But let’s just say best case scenario, he had tracking and the tracking says delivered, but I never got it cuz it was stolen or something, what should the seller do?

5 Likes

Is he reimbursing you with 10 bearings of the same type? If so I’d say be patient. Maybe it’s actually the 10 he intended to send. If not, idk, pull your hair out and hope?

Since his reputation is decent, wait and see what arrives maybe and then decide what action to take.

Rough situation to be in for sure. Good luck.

3 Likes

No, he said the bearings are gone cuz he shipped them so he’s sending me something else to make up for it.

I don’t think he’s lying about shipping cuz he has done a lot of transactions but I’d just feel a lot better about the whole situation if he actually provided tracking.

7 Likes

This is completely on them. Do they have a receipt with your address showing that the original package was shipped?

They should have paid for tracking. It’s irresponsible not to and should place liability completely on them. Also, purchasing insurance should be completely on the seller, unless they specify differently in their listing. If a package is lost, it should be the responsibility of the seller, especially if they didn’t invest in insurance.

You should get a complete refund. If not, I would dispute it through PayPal (hopefully you paid with goods and services).

4 Likes

There are plenty of sketchy people with “good reps” and lots of transactions. IMO, the best indicator that someone isn’t entirely honest is lack of reasonable communication. But you’re the one dealing with this guy so it’s your judgement to make.

Aside from that, maybe let your post office know that a package went missing? I’ve always done that and it’s often helped… but then again I’ve always had a tracking number to give them.

3 Likes

I am a really chill guy and I think I’ve left negative feedback for a seller anywhere once in my entire life, but I have to agree. This whole thing just seems sketchy to me.

3 Likes

Did you pay G&S?

1 Like

Yuhh

2 Likes

I would probably file a claim with PayPal. It is on the seller to prove he shipped. Again, on seller if he chose not to insure or have tracking number.

8 Likes

I’m with @French here.

Screw good reps. If someone isn’t holding up their end of a deal, no amount of prior good transactions matter.

9 Likes

Was tracking discussed prior to the deal? Maybe the package is in the mail and just slow arriving for some reason.

Tracking can solve so many problems but I’ve found that you need to discuss the details every time.

Always a bummer when this stuff happens.

1 Like

IMO the long and short of it is that you paid for something and didn’t receive it. That’s 100% on the seller/vendor. And no a reimbursement package wouldn’t settle it for me unless it was exactly what I should have received with tracking and expedited shipping, and even then there’s a point where I’d just not want to deal with a replacement package at all and just want my money back. I’d give them three weeks before an ultimatum demanding a full refund and stating that I would dispute via PayPal, then on the fourth week I’d dispute via PayPal.

I don’t get the fanboyism that makes people flame posts like this. I don’t care who the person or business is, if you don’t receive what you paid for, there shouldn’t be a debate about it. It sounds like you gave the person the opportunity to make it right and they’re not taking it so sucks to be them, do what you gotta do.

4 Likes

Tracking wasn’t discussed, I just thought it was implied.

He said he never got tracking though. It’s been like over a month so it’s definitely lost if he did ship

2 Likes

Yeah I’d file a dispute. He has no way to prove he actually sent them.

2 Likes

Dude, I feel your pain. I’m a chill guy who likes to give people the benefit of the doubt. You paid with PayPal. He accepts PayPal. You both clicked the EULA button. Use it. Tell them you didn’t get the package and after contacting the seller, you weren’t satisfied. It’s on him not you. Also, I’d call the PO and ask about it just to be sure. Canadia is weird. Sometimes things get screwy.

Bottom line: TCIAR. If this business enjoys their rep (btw, props on not blowing them up in this post. Classy move! :+1:), then the next words from them should be “Wow, sorry for the mix up! Let me get you another set on the way. I’ll get you tracking on this one. Send me the address again just so I can double check.”
Anything else and it’s one star rating time. Yeah, it’s a hundred bucks, but your word is your bond. Suck it up. If it got lost it’ll go back to him, not to you.

3 Likes

I would contact paypal asap. Ive had a few packages shipped from Canada and they never take that long. China yea maybe but Canada no way. File a claim and if it does show up you can send the money back to him. But honestly he has already probably spent that money. But you would get your money back through paypal and red flag his account so he cant scam other people. It should be a rule in BST to always provide tracking. Bad communication is the first sign something is up imo.

2 Likes

I think before a transaction both should agree that if the package does not get to the hands of the receiver a refund is necessary. But if it has only been 1 week I would wait

No tracking is just creating a giant question mark.

Where is the package? Oh; uh; I sent it out the other day. It should get there in several days.

Several days later> Where is my package? Wow; you didn’t get it yet? Maybe it was delayed in customs or by bad weather? Dunno? Maybe in a few days?

Several days later> Hey; I still haven’t received my package from you. Wow; the post office must have screwed up. You better check with them. What am I supposed to tell them since I have no evidence that you sent me something?

Well; sorry. but I can’t be responsible for stuff once it leaves my hands. So where’s my package?

What does the above scenario lead us to fully understand and appreciate?

The usefulness and importance of Tracking numbers on any and everything you send and/or receive. To allow ‘both’ parties to ‘know’ approximately where a package is. That doesn’t guarantee the packages are gonna get ‘there’. But it allows a day to day report on the movement of the package.

Without tracking; your positive attitude and somebody else’s good trading rep; is only going to take you so far.

When I send anything to anybody; I send them an image of the box(address box) and the receipt; before I leave the Post Office. I take a pic of the box… take it up to the window. And as I walk away from the service counter; I set the receipt on the counter adjacent to the walk up window and take an image of the receipt. And send it immediately.

I do not hesitate to tell people I buy stuff from; that I want to be able to track the package. That way I can be on ‘Mail watch’ when I see the package is getting closer.

No tracking number; oh well…

And Andy; I don’t care what Country this guy is from. He should be able to send you a dated receipt; with your correct mailing address on it. No matter how he sent it; they will give you a receipt. If he can’t provide one; then he either didn’t send anything. Or if he says he had one but threw it away; that shows he is a flake and doesn’t care to do his half of a deal.

Good feedback is obviously better than bad feedback. But positive feedback just identifies past history and every successive transaction still has the potential of failing.

When you work out a deal; tracking is part of the deal. The importance of knowing where your package is and most likely when it may or will arrive; is easily worth whatever the tracking fee is.

I love a good mystery in either book or movie format.

When it comes to stuff in the mail; zero tolerance for mysteries.

…Andy; contact Paypal and tell them: you do not have your package and the sender will not provide you with visual proof that he even sent anything to your specific mailing address.

Tell them you are willing to wait another several days… but you need to let Paypal know so they can give you a case number so if the package doesn’t come; they will know you tried to be fair and wait; but sender failed and you want them to deal with him.

6 Likes

I asked him yesterday if he at least had a receipt; I’m waiting for a response

4 Likes

Andy, talk to PayPal. If things have gotten to this point, you NEED professional intervention! Just get on PayPal and lrt them know. you don’t have to deal with the sender, and you get to save aggro. DOO IIIT

4 Likes