Lost package?

How long has it been since you placed the order?

I’ve been selling things through ebay for 10+ years and this is always something I’m scared of. I often times don’t pay the extra for tracking numbers unless it’s something over $50.
I’m always afraid that someone’s going to abuse things and lie that they never got their item (even though they did). I’d be out the item and I’d have to give them a refund on top of it.

Luckily for me, this has never happened. /knocks on wood

However I did have someone claim they didn’t receive the item earlier this summer. I was panicking because I’d already used the money he sent me on stuff and didn’t have the cash on hand to refund him. But he turned out to be a super cool guy and was way more patient with me then he needed to be.
Sure enough, about 2 months later…his item showed back up in MY mail box…in my haste (I had like 20+ packages I sent out that day) I forgot to add his apartment # to his address. /doh
It was very frustrating for both of us…but at least things turned out in the end.

Not 100% what my point is here…or why the heck I had to make this post so freaking long >.<’ but I do hope things work out for you.

2 Likes

I have a good one for you…

A guy sent me a package from Florida(to California). Priority/2nd day/insured for value… <> Fine so far.

2 weeks later; I decided to ask him where is the package? I asked him for the tracking number he was supposed to send me two weeks ago.

He said he has it; but must have misplaced it because he sure can’t find it. And was currently ‘too busy’ to bother looking.

I told him that since he already got my money 14 days ago and I have nothing; he shouldn’t be ‘too busy’ to contribute to his side of the deal.

He told me to take the matter up with the Post Office; because he is not responsible for them losing packages.

I asked why he suddenly assumed that the package was lost? He stated, ‘Well; obviously if you haven’t received it in two weeks; it has to be lost.

This gets more interesting. A good internet friend of mine had been looking for the same exact yoyo I was buying from this clown. We had wished each other luck for who might find one first.

I related my story to him just as a subject of conversation. He told me, ‘Hey man; I may have some good news for you. I also found the same kinda yoyo in the same exact colorway; on one of the social media sites. He said he would let me buy it instead.(nice guy; huh?)

I told him that’s ok. My problem should not affect your ‘find’. So go ahead and get it.

I asked him, ‘Where does the guy live that you are buying the yoyo from’? He said Florida. And then when he told me the guys name; I got pretty hot under the collar! <> SAME GUY!

…I contacted the guy again and told him I wanted the tracking number. Finally he said, ‘Here ya go’.

Not too bright; lol.

So… I go down to the Local Post Office; with the tracking number; simply to see if fact is stranger than fiction.

AMAZINGLY… It turns out that he did indeed mail the package. But he failed to put my exact address on the box. He got the street name correct but no such number address existed.

So they stamped it ‘not deliverable as addressed’. And mailed it back to him. He must have realized his error; but didn’t just put the correct address on the box and ship it again.

The package had gotten back to him; several days earlier.

So he just went to another site with a BST and put it up for sale again.:flushed:

When I told him I was friends with the guy he was selling the same yoyo to; he realized I had him by his very personal parts. And he made things right.

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s just what happened to me…I didn’t put in the address correctly and so they shipped it back to me (took almost 2 months).
It was for some magic the gathering cards…I was SUPER lucky that the dude was so cool about it. At first…in the back of my mind…I thought maybe he was trying to screw me over (saying he didn’t get the cards even though he really did). I can’t help but be a bit worrisome when it comes to things like this.

By all rights he should’ve got paypal involved and requested a refund.
I know one thing for sure…I’ll forever be double and triple checking my addresses from here on out!

I’m glad that you ended up getting the yo you ordered in the end. Sucks that you had to go through such a hassle though. And I cant believe the a-hole tried re-selling your throw after it got back to him. Yuck. I do not like dishonest people like him at all.

1 Like

This is one of the things I like about PayPal G&S, the buyer puts in their address, when I print a shipping label through PayPal/USPS the buyer’s address is already there.

That said, I do get nervous that someone will try to scam the system by lying about not getting something I send, but, I take precautions and, at the end of the day, anyone who feels the need to lie to cheat me out of a little money and yoyo I was selling has bigger moral issues to deal with.

5 Likes

invoiced with paypal g&s, tracking and insurance… dont step over dollars for pennies… it’s that easy

4 Likes

So I told him I was gonna file a claim with PayPal and all of a sudden he magically had the bearings to ship :man_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

So… make absolutely sure he ‘Magically sends you the bearings before your window of opportunity to file’ ends.

Talk is cheap…

Take a screenshot of his commitment to actually send you what you already paid for.

Because then if he fails to send your stuff. Then you can snow he deliberately misrepresented his making things right…

Borderline scammers are always right on the edge of ‘fair’ but lean towards larceny as a way of life.

Anybody that is willing to screw you for 50 bucks; is a punk; pure and simple.

… Remember those ‘old’ western movies; where the Indian says, ‘White man speak with forked tongue’?

That seller wouldn’t last very long if he was playing games with Indians; lol.

He’d be wearing a bow tie and an arrow shirt…:wink:

5 Likes

personally, i’d prefer a refund. with ‘the larceny is a way of life’ people, can you really guarantee you get what you pay for?

2 Likes

It’s the shippers responsibility until it’s in your hands. It’s good he finally shipped it but what a crappy thing to do.

As someone who spent years fighting scammers in another (much bigger) community, I wouldn’t call this borderline. It’s blatant. Maybe we were much more militant with our definitions but once an agreement is breached, it’s over for the person who breached it.

(My views on redemption are another story)

4 Likes

If you don’t get a tracking number immediately, file the claim anyhow. He can resolve it by linking the tracking number with the payment/claim.

Better to do it early before the 90 day window elapses. It’s common for scammers to try to string people along until they’re clear of any recourse.

4 Likes