Looking for a good, cheap unscrewable wooden yoyo. Any suggestions?

The Hildy Bros Currier looks amazing!

It is amazing. I tried the purpleheart caps version at VA States and it was snappy and spun very, very smoothly. Itā€™s on the lighter side, but I think this is another good recommendation.

Isnā€™t the Currier fairly heavy for a wood at 60 grams?

I was just going by the 45.5g on YYEā€™s shop and Iā€™m not sure the type of wood that was based on originally. Perhaps the new ones are 60g (where did you get that?) but I would guess a chunk of the extra weight is in the nuts and bolts which probably wouldnā€™t help it spin much longer. The purpleheart caps would help though.

Perhaps YYE should oblige us with a weigh in of the 3 new ones! Wood varies but it would ballpark it.

New Curriers:
Maple w/ Purple Heart Caps: 54.7g
Solid Maple: 49g
Maple W/ Skateboard Stripe: 51.8g

Of course due to the nature of wood the weights will vary, but ill add these to the page to give a ballpark.

If youā€™re looking for heavy - the Cherry OUT Free Spirit weighs in at 63g. Very powerful spin, but a little large.

1 Like

Donā€™t worry about the strings, youā€™ll be ok. You have to throw really hard to start burning through strings that quick.

As far as yoyos, the TMBR Irving is really great for $20, even cheaper used. If you ask around you should be able to find one.

The new Currier (you can take it apart) is AMAZING! Can do all your traditional tricks, plus modern tricks. When I got mine first thing I tried was Kwijibo and hit it first try. Iā€™d go for one with purple heart caps for a little extra weight. Or if YYE would do it, have them find one thatā€™s heavier in solid maple.

Currier isnā€™t that heavy. I have a custom one that Luke made for me, itā€™s all maple and I asked him for one around 56-58g, and if I remember itā€™s a little over 58g. Love that yoyo, itā€™s become one of my favorite yoyos.

My oak Sullivan is probably my heaviest fixed axle, itā€™s over 60g, maybe closer to 68g. But still it plays great.

Is a YYF legend a good yoyo for fixed axle tricks?

Also, how heavy should a fixed axle yoyo be? How light is too light for it to affect performance?

I love the Legend Wing! I havenā€™t tried an Imperial version.

It is excellent for fixed axle tricks. It seems like it would be too light for what youā€™re wanting to do, but I have been able to achieve good spin times with it. As a matter of fact, I can pull off more 1a tricks with it than my other fixed axle yoyos. My theory is that it generates great spin by getting a good grip all the way down the string, no thunk or slips at the end. As a corollary to this, it has a much more predictable response compared to my other fixies.

I have been playing with it more than any other yoyo of any type by far, since I got it. This is much due to me really being into wood fixed axle play lately, and granted I havenā€™t tried/donā€™t have as many fixies as others here, but I simply donā€™t play my 2015 EH, or No Jives anymore. Iā€™m sure I will again, but this yoyo has really held my attention since I got it 3 months ago. I have all 3 picture varieties now, and they are amazingly consistent.

I think itā€™s a no-brainer to tack this $10 yoyo onto whatever else you end up ordering.

1 Like

If I could have thanked you twice, I would have!

Thank you for you opinion on it, youā€™ve saved me a lot of money.

Well I hope it works out for you! It is after all only my opinion, and Iā€™m sure others have a different one. In the end, at least it will only set you back $10. Regardless, if you end up liking fixed axle at all, youā€™ll enjoy the Legend Wing to some degree, and I think itā€™s a logical choice to start.

I agree with Myk_Myk, the wing legend is a phenomenal player. Mine sees more than its fair share of play time (I also have a No Jive and 2015 eH).

For what itā€™s worth, my fixed axle play style is heavy on stalls and shoot the moon, I tend not to go for too many tricks that require crazy long spin time, but, I do realize my style is constantly evolving.

It is a more than capable yoyo, and, is an incredible value.

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ve actually gone right off the idea of performing long strings tricks. Iā€™m just keen to get into plenty of stall work and flips with it.

1 Like

Another question, men: what sort of maintenance is needed for wood fixed axle yoyos?

I also bought the standard cotton string from YYE. I hope this stuff is at least type 8? It didnā€™t say.

I would go for type 10 next time; itā€™s labeled that way in the drop-down menu. Beats me what the rest is but I would guess type 8.

In my experience with TMBR and OUT throws, no actual maintenance necessary. Every new string needs to be broken in to get the right response. Before itā€™s broken in, itā€™s too unresponsive. I do hard, long-spinning windshield wipers until it responds enough. If youā€™re impatient you can put some lip balm on the loop and it will start responding right away but I like to just break them in.

1 Like

I havenā€™t played the Legend Wing yet, but for $10 I donā€™t think you can go wrong. It looks great for $10.

As far as weight, I think that depends on what you want to do. Lighter fixed axles I think lend well to kick flips and stall tricks. A little more weight helps with spin time for string tricks.

I personally think that the 2014 & 2015 eHā€™s are some of the best all around fixed axles that have been made in recent years. No Jives are also great all around fixed axles. And Iā€™m also really partial to the Hildy Currierā€™s as great all around fixed axles.

I really donā€™t do much maintenance, if any at all on my fixed axles. Really, all I seem to do is change the string. As far as string, the YYE type 10 cotton is great, I found the type 8 was just OK. However, if you decide you donā€™t like whatever cotton string, and you have a drill and access to cotton thread and you tube, you can make your own string. I make cotton, which, once broken in is pretty good (for me). Iā€™ve tried poly, havenā€™t had much luck. I think I got lucky with the cotton thread I chose (and, the whole reason I decided to give making string a try was YYE was sold out of type 10 cotton a year or so ago).

Like FiveIronBrian, sometimes I will put a little beeswax lipbalm on the loop of the string to make a new string immediately responsive. Usually, I throw sleepers, makinā€™ da zines, or dump trucks to break the string in and get the tension worked out.

A fixed axle doesnā€™t need any maintenance. I do break the axle in a bit to remove any rough spots. To do that I get a piece of the thick cotton packaging string about 2 feet long, wrap it around the axle a couple of times leaving equal amounts of string extending from either side. Hold the yoyo between your knees and pull the string tight then pull back and forth about 6 inches 5 or 6 times. Iā€™ve had mixed results waxing the string. Get too much on and it becomes very responsive. Use sparingly if at all.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been reading info that says that wooden fixed axle yoyos tend to wear out. It says the axle becomes slick after a lot of play and the yoyo loses too much response. Is this true?

I think it depends on how hard you play. Iā€™ve never had one wear out on me. All of my TK yoyos come with extra axle sleeves but Iā€™ve never had to replace them. Probably Ed can answer this more definitively.

So Iā€™ve been using this so far until my yoyos arrive:

Iā€™ve been progressing well, learning Stalls, Makin Da Zines and Zipper Stalls, but man, the shape sure is making it tough! Looking forward to when my Duncan Butterfly and Legend Wing show up.