Long-term yoyos

I have been thinking lately; how many of us buy a yoyo and play it long term?

There are so many purchases that people play for only a couple of weeks or months and then try to sell or trade them.

How many do you keep and throw long-term?

9 Likes

the longest I’ve kept in my possession and play long term Duncan butterfly & Freehand

5 Likes

My go to yoyo is always my stacked superstar. Ive had it since 2012 and every time I come back to yoyoing it’s always the first thing i pick up.

3 Likes

Basically all of my yo-yos

4 Likes

I’ve never gotten rid of a yoyo. I have 50 something full unresponsives that I cycle through. I only use the same one for a day or two before switching out. There only a few I don’t like but I wouldn’t get rid of them.

6 Likes

This, except I play whatever one I want whenever

2 Likes

I’ve had a few that stayed in my regular rotation for a couple years after I got them. My Duncan butterfly still gets thrown a handful of times a year (not very regular, but still happens) and I’ve had that for 8 or 9 years I think. My Triple Point has been standing as a main/ rotation throw for 6 months.

2 Likes

I have quite a few I’ve had for a long time and cycle through them periodically. For the most part they all get played from time to time. I’ve thinned them out a bit but find it hard to part with them.

1 Like

I don’t sell much, but the throw I have continually played since I got it is my chief. Never gets old.

2 Likes

long term yoyos make up 75% of mai collection

2 Likes

My replay pro

2 Likes

My DR3I.

dr3i

11 Likes

i thought it was a vapormotion a for a sec

1 Like

It uses a similiar approach to achieve the dimple.
Except it’s a tri-metal: titanium shells, steel rims and an aluminum cup.

2 Likes

It is a vapormotion for the VERY RICH PERSON … max 10 were made?

2 Likes

Every yoyo I buy is one that I plan to keep forever, but some of them just don’t end up jiving with me for some reason or another and those get let go. I’d say probably about 10-20% of the yoyos that I buy may fall into that category.

I do find it disappointing to see people buying yoyos on speculation of value and then re-selling shortly after a purchase of a limited release at a greatly inflated price. That feels like it takes the play out of the yoyo.

Ultimately though it’s really each person’s own right to enjoy this hobby however they like, even those who enjoy it purely for rarity and monetary value.

But for me it’s all about the play! They are just so FUN!

8 Likes

If anything, the Vapormotion is based on a DR3I. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are only 3 of these, 2 within ILYY and 1 is with Ernie of General-Yo.

2 Likes

Trimetals are a rare beast. I have the AHAY Index one, but it’s just rings, far less complex.

2 Likes

I made my own yoyo and its one i will always keep…

5 Likes

People who constantly buy and then sell new throws weeks later have always been a bit odd to me. I mean, I think we’ve all bought something and then realized quickly that it wasn’t right for us. But doing that all the time means you probably need to figure out what you like more clearly. If it’s just because someone likes trying new stuff, okay I guess. If you don’t mind spending the money, who am I to say no? If it’s speculation for making money, that’s lame in my book. If it’s because they are fad buyers who jump on whatever is new, that’s kind of a bummer. Work harder to learn what is important and what companies you want to support.

That said, I feel like it is easy to confuse “yoyos I will always keep” and “yoyos I play with year after year”. I think most of us have both and sometimes they are the same throws, but not always.

For example, the YYF Protostar is a yoyo that I have thrown off and on over the years. Solid, tough, inexpensive, makes a great traveling yoyo, not so pricey you’d be mad if it was lost/stolen/given-away, etc. But I don’t particularly care which specific Protostar I have. A few have passed through my case in the past. I like my current one, but if it leaves for some reason, I’ll find another one.

On the other side of the coin are my two Walter yoyos. Not only have I regularly played with them for years even as other responsive metals have floated through my collection, I would be gutted if I lost them. They are discontinued, expensive (or impossible) to replace, designed by a friend, and mean a lot to me.

Finally, my Tom Kuhn SB2 is a yoyo I literally haven’t thrown in years, but will never get rid of. It was my dads and one of the few things I still have of his that had memories and meaning because of my connection to him. So even if it sits in a box for the rest of time, I’ll still keep it because of the memories.

12 Likes