Long-term yoyos

The first throw I reach for is still the HyperWarps I’ve had since 98.

There really is not anyone making generalist yoyos anymore. These can perform loops and string tricks. The heft and weight distribution are perfect. I even like that the lower-grade ball bearing because it gives the perfect amount of responsive resistance without requiring frequent exacting lubrication.

Sure, they won’t perform any of the slack-string tricks of 1A, but I can seamlessly go double-loops to tentioned string tricks at up to +30 second sleep times without switching yoyos.

Haven’t found a viable replacement for those yet. So, 21 years and going strong.

5 Likes

I’ve had my YYJ Speeder 2 since at least 05…it’s one of the throws I give most attention to as it’s one of the most “fun” yo-yos I own - and laceration regens on a thin gapped jojo just feel so good

2 Likes

i’ve owned a magic yoyo N8 for a record 2 1/2 years. it was my third yoyo ever.

3 Likes

I’ve owned 2 No Jives and a Tortoise Shell SB2 for 25 years that my dad got me that ain’t going no place. 95% of what I buy today I intend to pass on to my son. I buy antique yo-yos (Pedro Flores usually with the occasional OG FH) from time to time that I intend to flip to help replenish my yo-yo budget.
My buying “strategy” goes like this
What will I enjoy
What will my son either enjoy, find cool enough to keep, or be able to get good money for if he wants to sell.

3 Likes

I don’t envision myself getting rid of most of the stuff I have now.

I think this is a pretty accurate statement and it’s this attitude that is making me narrow my focus. I’m looking for a very particular feel in a yoyo and it doesn’t seem like looking at specs or shape has helped me figure out what yo-yos will have that feeling. They definitely help narrow it down but not enough to be sure I’ll like a yo-yo.

When something as small as moving a ss ring a millimeter or a half gram added or removed or distributed in a different spot can make a yo-yo feel completely different I just don’t think it’s worth taking a gamble on whether you like it or not.

1 Like

my collection is about as thin as Id like. The ones left are long term for me. Only a couple that Id like to add.

2 Likes

I usually keep all my yoyos long term. On rare occasion I will trade one away or even sell it, that would be every 888 I’ve ever owned. I just never felt the love for that yoyo no matter how hard I tried, regardless of the release. However I play a skyline quite a bit, go figure. Other than that, any yoyo that leaves my collection usually is given away.

4 Likes

Alas, I haven’t been in the yoyo game long enough to qualify for “long term” anything. However, one thing I feel pretty confident about is that at least 90% of my One Drop collection is in Never Gonna Give You Up territory.

2 Likes

I haven’t been back into this hobby long enough to know really. I’ve only gotten rid of 2 of my green throws though so far and pretty much hope to keep most of my greens as I move forward. Even if I don’t really like the way they play. I like collecting things.

I do have a (green! :green_heart:) YYJ Hitman Professional I have from years back that I’ve kept though. Don’t imagine I’ll ever pass that one along.

3 Likes

I bought a hitman when they were first released. It was my main yoyo for many years, and I still really love playing it. Without a doubt it’s my most prized yoyo, not because of whatever value it may have, but because of my history with it.

5 Likes