Let's talk vibe.

One of the greatest yoyos I’ve ever played was one of the unreleased 28 stories peaks. They didn’t get released due to vibe. It gave the YoYo a soul, it had personality and character and it was magical.

Coming back recently after a few years out of the hobby, vibe was a new term for me (maybe it was used before, but I had not heard it used).

So really, based on what I’ve heard these last few weeks, I’m guessing that vibe is any vibration, assuming a good throw. For example, you might throw it down, and then give it a good touch with your finger - if touching it doesn’t make it spin smoother, there was no vibe to begin with.

As my throws get better, vibe gets less and less. I don’t mind a little.

What was really weird was the first yo I added Duncan Mod Spacers too. The first time I threw it after the mod, the vibe was like a pulse - every second it would vibe then stop, vibe then stop. Kind of funny. Worked on it and it went away.

Buy the retina MacBook Pro for that price and it won’t get hot :wink:

Oh and I should’ve been more clear in my other post. I don’t mind vibe if I can get a price discount. So vibe on B grades, yeah cool. But vibe on things I buy new… It makes me unhappy so I tune it out.

I sort of understand we’re you are coming from. Now keep in mind the following is pure speculation and i have no way of verifying the following information, never has this happened to me nor any one I am directly associated with.

To a expert yoyoer a vibe can make or break a throw. For example you might look at a yoyo and think, It’s cheap, metal, average sized, nice color way oh what the heck I’ll get it" but come the day it arrives and it has a strong vibe so much so that it can’t sit on the string for a wile, sleep, or do extensive tricks. Then, You have a problem. Now don’t get me wrong, this almost never happens but when it does It can be frustrating imagine having to go through the trouble of trying to fix it, figuring out if its you, the yoyo, or the manufacturer and trying to get a refund. Now you may say that you can deal with a little vibe here and there, after all it doesn’t bother you to to much. And most people do. But if you spent over 50$ bucks on it then its very frustrating and almost not worth doing in the first place. That is why most people won’t buy vibey yoyos, it’s not that they wouldn’t love to have the throw its that they just don’t want to risk getting a dud.

Hope this helps.

I have a 15 inch retina with 16 gb of ram that I use for graphic design and video editing, its gonna get hot :wink:

There’s a point where the vibe is too strong, but a smaller amount is totally fine.

Woah hold up that’s the same stuff I’m hooked on. Do you use Final Cut? Or are you an avid person… Or even adobe…

1 Like

Just got a fools gold AC I was looking for some “Ill vibes!” Lmao vibe is like a bowler saying I can’t hook the ball with this oil pattern.

I’m a final cut guy all the way! But then I use mostly adobe for graphics, but I’m trying to transition to a program called sketch. Really great, just different.

Yikes.

Don’t get a mac. Problem solved.

Great OS, terrible hardware. And hugely inflated prices because it’s “Apple.”

Vibe is interesting to me because there seems to be some luck as to whether a new yo-yo will be dead smooth or not. When buying a brand new throw I can choose which shape, size, weight, or color I prefer, but I usually can’t choose vibe level. It may or may not be dead smooth. You never know for sure till you get it. But when someone is trading, buying used, or able to buy in person, they can be specific about how much vibe they want, just like which color they want.

Some yo-yo’s have the rep of ultra smoothness but in my experience they might have a bit of vibe as well.

The vibe test is usually the first thing I do when I get a new yo-yo. Also, when I see people at club try out other people’s throws, they usually do a vibe test right away. It’s fun to test a new throw. If it’s got a little vibe I’m not upset, but when it’s dead smooth, MAN OH MAN that’s a little like winning the lottery! It just feels really good to me, and reminds me of that first time i threw a really smooth metal.

If ‘vibe’ was the only important characteristic in a yoyo, CLYW would be one of the worst companies, and YYF one of the best. How many people agree with that statement?

My YYF Supernova is the ‘smoothest’ yoyo I own, by quite a mile. It is far from my favorite though. Most of my CLYWs have noticeable vibe.

Wobble (visible vibe) is bad. Vibe is just a normal part of a yoyo. All yoyos vibe a little - My smooth Supernova still has an echo of vibe - you can feel, ever so slightly, that the yoyo is spinning on the string. As long as it’s not bad enough to affect play, who cares?

I beg to differe, my 5150 is DEAD smooth. I can hear it but I cant feel it whatsoever, even on a grind…

Since when has YYF been known for Ultra smooth throws? General Yo and One Drop would be at the top.

Personally I dont make as big of a deal about vibe as alot of people on here. If I am buying/trading for new throws I will usually ask how it plays and if I get a response like “a TINY bit of vibe on a bad throw but generally very smooth” that wont scare me away like it will for alot of people. Also the higher price the throw is the higher my expectations go. But normally I just get a throw bc I like the shape and colorway, and yeah maybe I got suckered into the companies marketing or what someone else has said about the throw.

Idk if its just the type of people that like to yoyo, but there are quite a few “Type A prefectionist” personalities that are VERY anal about every single aspect of everything and have incredibly high standards, to the point where I will usually UNDERSTATE how good it plays and make sure to go over every single mm to look for tiny tiny pinpricks I might not have even noticed. If it has an ever so slight amount of vibe once in a while I will be sure to let them know and say “sometimes” instead of “once in a while” because people seem to get caught up w symantics, like their definition of “smooth” “vibes on grinds” “tiny ding” “beat” might differ from mine so I tend to understate how good throws play, then they will be satisfied aswell! But some people on here are very very hard to satisfy.

I usually keep my more expensive throws for “indoor” and take the ones I dont care if they get dinged outside, like yday I hit my 2.0 I just got on the curb, if that was my Chief or Wasabi I would have cared, the 2.0 no big deal! Its not even about “resale value” I never buy things intending to resell, I might trade if I end up not liking it as much as I thought and its for smth I would rather have, or also if I dont use it at all. But the reason why I wouldnt want to ding my higher end throws is more bc I worked for the $ to pay for them and want to keep them nice.

I also understand accidents happen and I would rather get a good deal (sometimes 50% retail price!) On a throw that has a couple of pinpricks or a scratch or 2 but other than that its like getting one brand new for way less!! So people being picky and having a “Type A” Anal personality has worked to my advantage in snagging good deals!

Also pretty much every throw I have gotten that has been made around 2010 and up (and alot of times even back to like 07!) Have been very very smooth! The companies know people have high expectations so most of them hand test every single throw to make sure they are up to standards. Even with “B Grades” in my experience with CLYW they are usually ano flaws, and YYF only sells at contests where you can try before you buy and pick a dead smooth one, most of them are actually and are just mismatched halfs that have tiny tiny ano flaws. I think the yoyo industry has it down to where vibe is almost non existant on most of their models. Even a YYJ classic I have plays very smooth with a KK bearing in it. Any vibe I get would be from the string hitting the O rings that can easily be siliconed or smth to even fix that but it doesnt bother me in the least.

There are alot of chill people on here too that wont freak out if the yoyo is shipped out with 3 pinpricks and the seller said 2 bc he didnt see one, but alot of people do complain aswell!

Unless the whole string shakes/or there is a wobble (which is totally different from vibe!) Then it kinda takes a bit of fun out of playing w that throw but Im not as picky as alot of people. Plastics you should expect some minimal vibe but if you were to buy a metal right now on YYE Im pretty sure you will get one that is dead smooth.

Plus I dont see why people complain so much even if its like a very very minimal vibe when doing grinds or smth like that. I might be able to pull off longer combos w a longer spinning yoyo and vibe affects spin time to a point but every single trick that I can do w my Chief I can also do the exact same trick/combo with my YYJ Classic, and tricks matter to me more than a tiny bit of vibe.

I think since companies like CLYW have many different runs and so many cool colors alot of people have become more “collectors” than “players” and have like 10 Chiefs but still learning Boing E Boing. With “collectors” they will naturally be pickier than someone who wants a good throw and minimal vibe doesnt affect the play atleast with me.

Its nice to get a “dead smooth” throw but vibe adds a bit of character, I think some people have too high of expectations esp when buying second hand yoyos they expect to not have one single scratch. The best is when someone wants smth that hasnt even been opened or taken out of the box yet but expect it to be “dead smooth” like how is the other guy gonna know if he hasnt even thrown it???

Some people are pickier than others, thats why its good to list condition and smoothness as best as you can. But when its to the point when they LOOK for vibe (throw a bad throw “look a tiny bit of vibe, that liar this yoyo isnt dead smooth!!”) There is an old saying “if you look hard enough you are going to eventually find it”

My experiences have been mostly cool people on here, but have dealt w some extremely picky people and they are most likely more “collectors” than “players” or maybe a combination of both. In no means do I mean “go beat up your yoyo” you should take good care of them, but cmon guys they might be high end but in the end they are TOYS, TOYS that are meant to be played with!

So for me the more $ its worth the higher my expectations will be. If Im buying an old protostar that has been played with alot I expect it to have some vibe, Ill still ask just incase but still. If Im buying a Special Ed Chief and it “vibes pretty bad” I will probably pass and find another one but for every single yoyo at every single price range to be dead smooth (and no damage when buying second hand) is very unrealistic in my opinion!

Lawson

Yes! 7 or X? I must admit X is nice because of the speed… I use motion 5 or after effects for graphics usually. I have the master collection but only use photoshop and After effects and sometimes illustrator…

I like a little bit of vibe, but that feeling when you throw a dead smooth yoyo is amazing.

This is now really funny that I said this. Because, as it turns out, I am going to be doing this exact thing this week. :smiley:

Oh the irony.

i like smooth yoyos but vibe dosen’t bother me at all