Let's talk vibe.

I can understand why someone would be unhappy with vibe on a yoyo they dropped a bunch of money on. After all, a lack of vibe and ano flaws are largely what we’ve decided distinguish an a-grade from a b-grade.

Personally, I don’t care about a bit of vibe, though I agree with Adam – a wobble is a different matter, especially if it causes erratic binds and such.

I bought my girlfriend a Brand New car, and she still gets hot.

Yup

2 Likes

Vibe that can been seen will usually affect play in my experience. Is that different for other people?

Hahahahahahaha I will thank you for this post when I’m not on the app!

Well if its like really noticeable… If ts like a pulse then no

I have got to say, I absolutely hate vibe. I hate visible vibe, and I hate felt vibe. I just can’t seem to concentrate on tricks.

I also really hate an inconsistent sound from bearings. That really bugs me too.

Speaking of vibe, my Genesis, which I have only had for a few weeks, now has vibe. I attempted a finger spin with it, but it missed my finger and hit the wood floor. It now has felt vibe. It bugs me so much…

I find that to be the case with metals, and less so with wood. Vibe that can be seen on a fixed axle wood yoyo - at least in my experience - doesn’t seem to impact the play as much … or maybe its just that I’m more inclined to treat it as an element of how that particular wood yoyo plays?

Most interesting assumption on the 500 dollar Oxy.

I have a Hyperion and it has a ‘slight vibe’. If I place the smooth edge of a plastic string cutter against the side of the spinning yoyo, you can hear it chatter. If I pinch the string about 5 inches up from the bearing, I can easily feel the vibe coming up the string.

What does that mean to me? Well for one thing, it means my 500 dollar Oxy has some vibe and it is not Probable, but definitely possible that the other 19 in existence are Dead smooth.

Sometimes yoyo vibe varies by ‘Batch’ and sometimes it simply varies by ‘individual yoyo’.

The cost of the yoyo or the origin of the yoyo does not identify a Guarantee of Absolute Smoooooooooothness. That is just the way it is. Nobody has to like it.

On another note, I have one of the New YYF Superstars and I can’t make the thing VIBE! Lolol.
It is so friggin smooth and silent, it’s scary.

Also, take something into consideration. The bearing can sometimes be the center of certain vibey problems.

…On the Hyperion, the little vibe doesn’t really bother me. I figure I paid 5 Bones for the yoyo and the vibe was thrown in for Free, haha. I have not bothered changing out the bearing, yet. I will roll this one for awhile to see if the vibe resolves itself.

Hey, remember back when YYR yoyos started getting the high praise and all the Buzz? The talk was mainly about high performance, perfectly Smooooooooth yoyos, worth every penny. Sleipnir,ooh, he has a Sleipnir! I’m Jealous.
And then, YYR posted up(in red) so you couldn’t miss it, a warning/notice/message/disclaimer<>’ these yoyos were made for high performance. Once you unscrew them, they may vibe. Once you unscrew the yoyo, it is not returnable and not considered defective’.

All YYR Yoze don’t vibe, but YYR wanted to distance themselves from a truckload of returns from ALL the anti vibe Fanatics. < cool idea huh?

To me, a little vibe is no problem and does nothing to have any appreciable effect on yoyo play or performance.

And anybody that actually believes that paying way more for a yoyo will Get you a Perfectly Smooth vibe free yoyo, needs to do 2 things: Escape from Fantasy Island and get more Oxygen.

3 Likes

Well, first of all, funniest post ever. Second of all, what does this have to do with vibe?

What is the problem with vibe? It helps me concentrate because I can actually feel what I am doing (heavy yoyo or not I still like it).

About bearings, my Surge is eather loud or really loud it is on and off. I know what you mean.

Now, about the Genesis. That just flat-out stinks. But if it bugs you that much, I’ll take it off your hands ;).

I agree with you N8dogg. But one thing I don’t understand, HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY SPEND $250 ON A YOYO!?

Some people spend nearly $300 for the Anglam… Id rather have an Anglam than 2 pairs f shoes :smiley:

I have an anglam, two auroras, a hyperion, and a sovereign, all of which cost over $300, and a couple that were $500. What evs. Price is meaningless to some of us. We pick our hobbies and spend our monies.

That said, my smoothest yoyo is still my summit, I got on sale here at YYE for under or around $100. The summit is not my favorite yoyo. The anglam is pretty nice though, even with its hint of vibe.

Well said, Doc!

I only notice if there is any vibe when I’m selling it and look for it because I know people will ask. Sometimes that little bit of feel can help out and always seemed a bit weird how much people fixate on it. I’m more worried about perfecting tricks than having perfect smoothness which I have far less control over.

Yes. Yoyoing is much cheaper, relative to many other hobbies. For instance, my neighbor collects exotic cars, on which I assume he has spent millions of dollars, while people who have large collections of yoyos have spent much, much less on them. I feel fortunate that I’m in a hobby that is inexpensive in the grand scheme of things, but, I digress.

Back on topic. A small vibe is okay, but if it’s anything visual, I get bothered. Usually, if the vibe doesn’t affect the play, I’m fine. But, with today’s manufacturing standards, many companies are pumping out smooth playing budget metals, in addition to the high end stuff, which I always expect to receive playing smooth.

I love vibe because it makes things cheaper. I bought a C3 Dark Sonic off a b/s thread for about $40 shipped that the seller claimed had “serious, visible vibe”.

I got it, chucked a string on it, gave it a throw and the vibe is hardly anything. You can only feel it on grinds, it’s doesn’t effect play and it made the yoyo like 50% cheaper.

It’s like fools gold CLYW throws. A tiny bit of vibe and you’re getting them for like half the price, it’s awesome. :smiley:

As far as a buyer who doesn’t mind vibe is concerned, it can make for some amazing bargains.

I own very few yoyos that I’d consider “dead smooth” and I own exactly 2 that I would consider to be “vibey”. The vast majority have a very slight vibe even on perfect throws. I think it’s unrealistic to expect a yoyo not to have any vibe at all. As long as I can’t feel the yoyo pulsing at the end of the string like I can with a couple of yoyos, I don’t mind.

Generally not an issue for me.

I’d call that wobble, and yes, it’s a problem.

lets not talk about vibe

lets talk about wobble >:(

Out of interest, did you buy a pre-assembled machine, or build one?

Back on topic, having a perfectly smooth yoyo is physically impossible.

Vibe gives character. It is just one of the many unique little quirks that make each yo-yo unique.

I’m a Mac guy :wink:

But on topic, it’s all about perception really. It is, like you said, impossible. But it is possible to have such minimal vibe that it can not be detected by a human.