Lets talk about the Peak

a week ago, I saw some Cad-shot of the section of the shell … but I swore not to talk even under torture … opssss! curse! ;D

0_0 what was it like? haha

seen on a smartphone… live at 1 Km from Riccardo Fraolini… may give an advantage in certain cases… :wink:

:o thats awesome!
i was so stupid when I met him at Worlds. He was one of my favorites and was a bit star struck to look behind me and there he was! Really looking forward to the Peak 2.

UnkleSteve just updated us about the colors.

Riccardo is really a very special person!
both as a player but above all from the human point of view!
It is a great privilege to be an acquaintance of his!

I wonder what how Ben would feel about these…

How do you feel about these?

The Peak 2 dropped recently. Theres still a few left, but I missed out on dat sweet sweet Beach Party colorway. MMMmm!

I could have actually gone for that one haha I had mine paid for before 10:01 hit, but there’s just too many colors going on for me on that one. I like simple haha

I snagged a lime sherbet! However they all sold out within 15 mintues. When I tried checking out with each colorway it said “SOLD OUT”.

EDIT: I just checked again and there are some available. I have no clue why. It clearly said “sold out” earlier. People cancelling their orders?

I like them, it’s cool to see the updated version. It was the Peak that put CLYW on the map so I’m sure it’ll be good!

I’ll be buying one eventually, because the original design appealed to me, and the new version is just as appealing. I just flat out don’t like this recent fad of every company doing fades like it’s the bees knees of colorways.

Agreed on the fade fad. There are some nice ones, but overall, not a huge fan (however SnowCone is my favorite fade)

Yeah, for me, it’s not that they look bad necessarily, but I’d just rather have a splash, swirl, or sponge if I can’t get a solid color. Mostly on the 2 color fades, because it would bug me if the line between the colors didn’t line up for both halves of the yoyo, which I can see is the case with most fades. Nitpicky, sure, but it’s just my 2 cents; plenty of people like fades which is fine by me.

Beach Party is said to be sticking around. If the new anodisers cant hang with the old color ways, ill be happy with a Beach Party. :slight_smile:

Mostly want a Peak 2 so I can “retire” the irreplaceable Peak(1?) to display in all its N/M glory. But it plays so good, until I get a new one, its gonna be thrown… ::slight_smile:

I think the fades are a way of cutting costs. I’m sure you’ve noticed yoyo prices are down 30-50% from a few years ago. Apparently the yoyo market isn’t as strong as it used to be, so these companies have to find a way to cut costs to compete. If they don’t sell product they don’t survive.

I don’t mind the lime sherbet per se, but personally I would happily pay more for an old fashioned CLYW colorway. What happened to the amazing splashes? What happened to the amazing speckles? Beach party should have been made in greater numbers for this first release. I don’t see the point in limiting the best colorways. Why? So someone can feel like a special snowflake? Share the love!

If thats true, why don’t those companies do solid colors instead? If fades were less expensive, they would produce fade colors instead of splashes, and would have done so for a long time. I don’t own a yoyo company, so I’m no expert, so take that with a grain of salt :slight_smile:

The recent price drop isn’t a bad thing, it merely helps more people own more yoyos from more companies, and I really think that is good for everyone. I have seen MagicYoyos with splashes, but they did it without any of the techniques you do when beadblasting a yoyo. Splashes are more expensive then solids, and fades are as well. Everyone will do fades when everyone only wants them, and from what I’ve seen on these forums, opinions are diverse. Thats a good thing. These companies need support from players, and putting different colors on yoyos appeals to the many different shades of opinion in this great community. All being said, I agree that yoyos should be made to satisfy demand, not create it cause there aren’t enough to go around.

They still do all of the crazy splashes along with some new even more ridiculous colourways. Considering usually when CLYW sells the initial batch of a new yoyo on their website they only stock plain colours they’ve given much more exotic colours than usual at this point.

I imagine in subsequent releases they will have an even larger variety and stock of splashes, speckles, etc. They did say on their blog for this release that they are also not going to be doing their older colourways just yet because they have a new anodiser though we will see a return of them eventually.

I like fades personally, they provide a bit more flavour than a normal solid while still maintaining the minimalism that comes with a solid colour. Plus, if you have the right pair they can produce a very nice colour while spinning. I love the green/blue fade on my OD Code 1.

I’m curious where you’ve heard this. Prices being lowered isn’t necessarily a sign that the market is shrinking (in fact, it could be a sign of the opposite of that). From what I’ve seen, with the large number of new companies popping up, lowered barrier of entry and number of yoyos releasing the industry has expanded quite a bit over the past few years.

CLYW produces in China now, and in the quantities that they do, it costs about $20 a yoyo, bearing, response, and anodizing included, could be even cheaper from what I know. Yoyofactory pays probably even less per yoyo. Being able to produce cheaper means they will sell cheaper too. Of course, Chris still needs to make a living, and a lot of the money goes back into the community through the CLYW team, so can’t really complain that we pay such a higher mark up.

1 Like

Finally!
finally someone who says how things are … things in here that many ignore, even supposing they know. (if I wrote it myself, I would have been crucified!)