Lets talk about the Peak

But the bearing costs ten dollars!? How can you sell a yoyo that’s worth 20 dollars for a hundred?! I find that hard to believe. I think am actual manufacturer should come in and tell us what these things actually cost. Paul, Chris, Ben, Amplified?

I’ve actually have had stuff produced before in China. I had a 7075 yoyo produced, anodized, and spacers for about 40 a yoyo at a quantity of 20, due to the economic scaling effect, if I made the same amount as CLYW does, and in 6061, it would have been close to 20 a yoyo. Bearings are also very cheap, especially Center Trac bearings. Just because it was sold for that much doesn’t mean it was made for that much. Again, producing at a low costs isn’t a bad thing, they’re able to keep costs down more than they were before.

ten dollars??? to you that you buy one in the store. Contact the manufacturer and buy a box of 1000 pieces, then you tell me how much you pay them … (… 50-60 cents/piece?)

yes… they are to say it to you … good luck! ;D

p.s. just to not only make the wind talk, Raffaele Izzo, owner a brand that no longer exists, the Roll-Out, in 2010 when it produced the R 2010, bought a box of bearing, flat, 10 balls from a Chinese producer, paid 600 € (0.60 €/piece), and I tell you with certainty because 40 of those bearings I bought them myself, by paying that amount (like many other Yoers of Italian communities, since for Raffaele that number of pieces was over its needs).

Yeah, I’ve talked to the same shop and got a quote for a design, could go as low as $12 in the quote I got based on quantity.

Right there with you, the more money the designers and owners of these companies can make the better. Everyone wants Chris, and Ben and all the other companies everyone loves to keep going, they can’t do that unless they’re making money.

The bearing is $10-12 retail, that’s what we pay after a manufacturer gets them made, packaged, then resells them to a shop, then that shop marks it up to make money. That’s how retail works, everyone in the chain needs to make money. If you REALLY want to be shocked, do some research and see what the most popular Nike’s cost, or the Supreme clothing that people go crazy over costs to make, Now there is a mark up.

Also, because something has a “cost” of $X doesn’t mean that’s what it is worth there is so much more that goes in to the value of something. You have Chris’ know how, designs, skills and time put into that design. You’ve got the entire CLYW team that Chris takes care of. Chris has 2 employees now with Steve and Alec, they don’t work for free (although it’s probably close :wink: ). They’ve got an artist they use, need to pay him for his time and art. Then you have all that CLYW does for the community. Whenever you see the CLYW logo on a contest banner or website, that cost them money.

Wesley sold the Independent for $85 (if I remember right), which was an AMAZING price for what it was, he just told us all that he paid $40 each for them. That’s awesome that he was able to make $40-45 on each one he sold, it’s a lot of work that goes into doing that (and I’m sure he paid his CAD guy, so that $40-45 probably got a lot lower by the end).

I’d highly suggest, and I think it’s great for anyone, to take a marketing and some type of business course, either in High School or College. The more people know the less people will complain about prices.

2 Likes

Aaron hit the nail on the head.

Just because an object can be produced for X amount doesn’t mean it can be sold for X amount. You have to think about employee salary, shipping, artwork, player royalties for signature models, contest sponsorships, and plenty of other things. Factor in defect rates, mark it up to make a small profit wholesale, and then mark it up to sell retail and you’re getting close to the price.

It’s the same with any retail product you own. Go ask North Face what it costs to make your Jacket…

The profit was about 10$ for each one lol

1 Like

They all factors, but these are very uncertain and variable but instead what is certain is the low production cost, completely different from that of sale… and certainly not like to say that, in the end, there are profits … and they are not so low. true?
then sure … the world works so and the producer (Chinese in this case) has always many more risks and difficulties of those who are in the middle of the supply chain or in related industries and it that is what earns less (and this has always been one of the most unfair things that consumerism has never given birth) … but many, that understand what, decide not to grant the favor … at North Face… for example … ;D

I knew you were rolling in money after they were done ;D

probably put a down payment on a yacht or mansion…maybe even paid cash :smiley:

types on his solid gold keyboard from a remote mansion in the hills of Ohio

Just wanted to thank everyone who picked up a Peak 2! You’re gonna love how it plays…I’m really enjoying mine a lot. :slight_smile:

As a heads up, we are working on bringing back older colorways. 28 Stories and Ash Berry are being tested now, and if we can get the coloring right they’ll be on the next run of Peak 2. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the support!

3 Likes

Giggity ;D

I knew it! Between CLYW money and 5A royalties Steve probably sleeps on a pile of money ;D

Any chance Hulk Smash will make it on the Peak2?

Wait, does Steve even get royalties for counterweights? haha

28 stories it absolutely yes! but before an Ash Berry I would see well a Maple Drip!!!

Hoping the 28 Stories doesn’t look like the original… but Ash Berry will be awesome since that was never put on a previous Peak run!

Wait, hills of Ohio? Hmmm, I can understand the solid gold keyboard, but everyone knows there’s no hills in Ohio…

db detects something fishy…! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also would like to see hulksmash make the return. Or the elusive Black Bip Bop!

When you got that CLYW money you build hills to live on.

1 Like

Purple Ombre Peak 2 has landed…
Just showed up, and still cold from the truck. I think I’ll let it warm up a bit before I throw it down. :wink:http://i.imgur.com/fXndDhg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mZJAy1Z.jpg

1 Like

What a beauty! Can’t wait until tomorrow, when my Lime Sherbet arrives.

1 Like