Let's organize a gift swap for christmas? Please read

I guess this belongs in BST.

So I was raised celebrating christmas. One fun thing some people do is a gift exchange. or white elephant gift some call or secret santa. It’s all basically the same thing.

The idea is we write a name on a piece a paper and throws it in a hat. Everybody picks a piece of paper and the name you get is the person you have to get a gift for. Sometimes there are boundaries like $20-$40 gift or it has to be white or whatever.

I think this is the strongest online community for throwers and I think it would be fun to do something like this this fall! It doesn’t have to be christmas or anything like that but if we were to do it in December in general then we have PLENTY of time to organize this that way you don’t ship off a Ti yoyo and get a counterweight in the mail.

Maybe some mods can hop on and help.

This will be the open thread to discuss different ideas on how to make it fair and fun for all.

I think it would be cool to do this!

Now my main ideas to start of the brainstorming.

Should we keep it 1a throws only? This way again if you don’t do 4a you don’t get a 4a etc.
OR like comps we could do categories.

But then that gets too big because I think the categories we should have should be based on price.

It might be best to enter the $25-$50 level or the $50-$80 level or then say $80-$120. And you could always bless somebody with a $200 yoyo or a bunch of different strings or whatever. But don’t be that guy sending a $20 yoyo with bad packaging and no extra bearing or sticker or string or even a thank you out. Just don’t be that guy. Lets use the honor system and make this super fun!

This way everyone at every level of income can play.

We would need guidelines for damaged items and what would be allowed. I don’t think MIB should be the exclusive but also I hate when I trade for a “pretty smooth yoyo with 2 small nicks” and then I find 3-4 marks and it vibrates more than my cell phone does.

Basically lets all agree to not be jerks bc this is out of love for the community and fun of throwing. So let’s make sure we are sending something we personally enjoy and know will put a smile on someone’s face.

Let’s take until the end of the month maybe to discuss it and get it organized. Then we can have a sign up period 10/1-10/31.

Gathering the names for each category is simple I have no problem making that sheet.

I don’t know how to make a computer generated random selector but I am more than happy to take the time to put every username on a piece of paper and do a drawing at my desk when I should be working LOL

Then you have all of November to stalk the username of the person you get and find out what they like (I can also make a list after sign up period of every username and they can insert a quip of things they like such as brands, colors, shapes, styles, idc just whatever you like. the more info the merrier. If you say ( I like Black YYF yoyos) well bud ya might be out of luck if they dont have that ya feel me?

This is pretty much the base of the idea so far.

Feel free to say anything you think.

I probably won’t come back to this until after the weekend as I’m pretty slammed but I am excited to hear what everyone says!!!

2 Likes

I think a shipping Date is necessary. I would say first week of December so ship from 12/1-12/7.

I would have everybody’s gift giver and receiver notated on a spread sheet which should dampen any funny business.

You may want to start right here where the “ Secret Santa” Christmas exchange between volunteering members only… I believe…?
Secret Santa

1 Like

If you tried to hyperlink something it did not work

i recently organized a SS in July-ish, i’ll offer a couple (unsolicited) tips

• be EXTREMELY organized. you’ll
    need a couple lists (who joined, addresses)
  • keep in mind international folks, this will add a lot of logistics coordination to your event… like, HUGE
  • set deadlines for - ship dates, name submission dates, and your ‘real dates’
  • make sure you politely follow up. people genuinely forget
  • give plenty of time for ‘actual shipping’
  • really, you won’t need a ‘randomizer’ per se… it gets pretty random once stuff starts flying in
7 Likes

I appreciate this. None of this bothers me it all seems like tedious work just for fun etc but it all seems well within my scope of managing and organizing. Good tip on follow up. That’s half my day job so no problems there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.