Let's hear some [lack of] safety throw horror stories!

Or some really close calls.

Bonus points for pictures.

3 Likes

I was proud to say that I never hit my head while yoyoing before… until a few days ago. Wasn’t fast enough to dodge it this time :sleepy:

2 Likes

This didn’t happen to me, but I liked the story. Guy said he had a fancy Saturday Market SK, was throwing it… and it clipped the (spinning) ceiling fan, ending up smashing a glass table and breaking a ceramic tile on the floor. I guess the ceiling fan was OK though?

He said the yoyo was never the same after that, and I wasn’t surprised!

Ahh I guess this isn’t a safety throw story now that I’ve written it down. My bad. I just like it :wink:

3 Likes

A month or so ago i went for my first throw without a safety throw. Went with a really hard throw on a break away. Before i knew what happend it popped me somthin serious on the top of my left eye socket. That was the first blow i received from a yoyo that drew blood. All good tho, my joyride remained unscathed.

3 Likes

That sounds terrible! Hahaha, if your friend wasn’t awake before, they probably were after!

1 Like

Not from a failure to safety throw, but last week I accidentally started a regen (which I’ve never practiced or implemented before) and it nailed me in my right eyebrow.

No blood, but it was a bump for a couple days.

4 Likes

Nothing specific, but I stopped in to say that I’m 1.5 years in and I’ve gone through two paid of glasses now.

5 Likes

I threw a breakaway, and my left ear ended up bruised and swollen.

I’ve since sold that Hexada. (Great throw, but nobody (or thing) makes me bleed my own blood.)

4 Likes

Not a safety throw issue, but I was at a playground with my kiddos. Did a sky bind, but it didn’t actually bite, then as the yoyo was falling, it finally snagged at about waist level. It came hurrling around and hit me square in the eye socket.

I actually saw stars from that one.

4 Likes

Smacked myself square in the testicles the other night.

8 Likes

Was throwing in my living room and my 4 year old ran in front of me just as I threw a hard breakaway. To spare him the hit I pulled my hands up, the yoyo wrapped on the string and popped me just under the eyebrow… no stitches but 3 pieces of surgical tape :face_with_head_bandage::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Hard breakaway with a relatively sharp rimmed throw once hit me right between the eyes and split the skin. There is apparently a lot of blood in the surface of your face. I looked like that Andrew WK cover. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Get_Wet#/media/File:Andrewwet.jpeg) but coming from my eyebrows. I didn’t even notice it at first, I was seeing stars and I touched my face and came away with a nice coat of the red stuff. I still have the throw, but i switched to plastics for a while.

4 Likes

I’ve posted this one quite a few times but hey, what’s one more?

I neglected to do a safety throw after trying a slack bind. I decided to go for a fast speed combo. I threw it nearly as hard as I could and then my dv888 swung back around and hit me in the eye! I couldn’t see much of anything. It was like a fogged over window mixed with the static of older TVs. I ended up having blood pool in my eye. I had to keep my eye slightly dilated for about a month or so (if EYE remember correctly). I can see fine now :+1:

4 Likes

Eugene Joh is a crotch main guy lol

1 Like

Man l hit my right eye with a bimetal once and every now and then I can still feel the pain from it. I had my dances with death enough times in the past to know that almost everything I do I am going to push myself to the limit of self harm.

2 Likes

Almost hit my dean of students in the eye one time.

2 Likes

Never yoyo naked

4 Likes

Bear in mind I’ve been yo-yoing for 27 years, most of the time with an SB2. In '91, learning undermounts, it kicked back and broke my glasses. Twice.

In '93 I should have replaced the string early in the day, but I didn’t. In the late afternoon, in the shop of a friend, I did a forward pass, the string broke at my finger, sending the yoyo flying across the room, narrowly missing a customer’s head and a neon sign on the wall. Lesson: distance doesn’t mean safety, though the lethal range of a yoyo is less than that of an assault rifle.

In '98 I broke more than 1 glass light fixtures, but I don’t recall the trick. And I won’t say where it happened.

And if you look at our kitchen and living room ceilings you’ll see a bunch of yoyo marks, two small parallel dents, about 3/8" where the spinning aluminum hit the paint, and the paint lost.

5 Likes

I got a few of those in my living room too, but my paint won haha! Theres a pretty noticeable green mark from my navigator on the ceiling right behind my couch.

2 Likes

I hit my face really hard

8 Likes