Let's hear some [lack of] safety throw horror stories!

Oof, that was a powerful throw man. Really puts into perspective how hard you actually throw those things huh?

2 Likes

I just did that last night. Split my lip open in two spots on the inside of my mouth. Apparently I had a bad bind and threw a hard breakaway.

4 Likes

You healing up okay? Man! I’ve never done a breakaway after a bind and now I will be sure to never try. Hope you’re okay!

3 Likes

Yeah I probably should’ve thrown a safety throw just to be sure, but I thought my bind was clean. Stopped bleeding before too long, little bit of a fat lip now but no big deal, was worried more about knocking a tooth loose lol.

2 Likes

I think @blahmin might win the award for worst snagged bind on camera. Watching it is one thing, the sound just puts it over the top.

For me a couple years ago when I was still learning the ropes strings, threw a hard breakaway that caught me on the nose/eye, knocked my glasses straight off, and wasn’t sure if my ego hurt more than the pain. Fortunately the glasses were okay, even after it happened a second time months later.
I actually gave up throwing altogether for a while, until I kept to plastics until I felt more comfortable.

5 Likes

I was learning Brent Stole, and didn’t realize I got a knot. Actually landed in Brent Stole but it slid off my NTH, it happened so quick I didn’t realize it. Next throw it swung around and hit me in the nose. I have a scar across the bridge of my nose now from that CLYW Bonfire.

4 Likes

My Mg tried to kill me Friday, I was throwing about eye level when a knot caused the whole spinning mess to stop, lock and hit me in the nose. I bled like a stuck pig. And my nose swelled up like I had a ping pong ball stuffed up my nose. I’m just now able to breath clearly with both nostrils. The part I really hate is when you screw up like this in public some know it all will always say what a great weapon a yoyo is and then you have to educate the public and they like that little bit of misinformation.

6 Likes

Oh my god this part is truly the worst, literally adding insult to injury…

5 Likes

Back in the day I was throwing a new Kuhn butterfly (the original wood Pocket Rocket) that I’d snagged from the toy store I was working in. I was impatient and didn’t break the axle in well enough and it snapped back to my face on a hard trapeeze. Just about put my teeth through my lip. I bled all over and was so pissed that I chucked the yoyo across the room into the wall.

Turns out that yoyo ended up being a pretty rare kuhn that would have been worth a decent amount if I hadn’t screwed it up. Now it’s just a reminder to not let your anger overwhelm your good sense.

EDIT: I guess that really isn’t a “no safety throw” story. More like a “don’t be an idiot” story.

6 Likes

I’ll count it! haha

4 Likes

I purposely swung and smashed a Loop 360 on my floor and to this day I have not found the bearing. I have issues.

1 Like

I had a magicyoyo n8(you know the really heavy magicyoyos) and was doing a eli hop on frontstyle.
smacked myself right below the left eyebrow:(

3 Likes

Who is this adressed to?

1 Like

I believe it was edited out of the post above it

2 Likes

Ah, I see…

1 Like