Let’s talk 3D printing

yeah i figured i would start with some easy grey pla then if i dial it in then move to what i really want to use which is some wood filled pla.

First attempt at modeling from scratch.

The blue one is my first attempt at a knurled replica of the Reactor. I don’t have a caliper yet so I estimated dimensions and got them a little wrong. It’s also a little light. V2 is on the printer now.

6 Likes

Looks good. What modeling software are you using?

2 Likes

I’m doing everything including slicing in Fusion 360, but I’m thinking of trying a different slicer as it doesn’t seem to automatically support brims and rafts, and I can’t figure out how to convince it to slice a few parts sequentially instead of layer by layer in parallel.

I failed bed adhesion twice on this print so I’m revisiting… I haven’t started using a glue stick yet but it’s the next thing I’m trying.

2 Likes

Even if it seems fine wash your bed and re level as well. That’s usually the culprit when I have bad adhesion or my z offset is off. Over time those bed springs shift

1 Like

I will definitely do this next time :grin:

I’d recommended design in Fusion and slice with Prusa Slicer.

For losing bed adhesion I’d recommend using Elmer’s purple glue stick and clean with water/paper towel and reapply every few prints. Also use Gyroid infill to avoid the nozzle hitting the infill. I usually set my zhop at retraction to 0.5 mm as well.

If these don’t fix use raft or 5 line brim.

3 Likes

I’m going for 100% infill for weight. Does the gyroid pattern make a difference at that point?

1 Like

No. Not at 100%.

Gyroid just avoids the nozzle crossing over the infill pattern like it does in rectilinear.

1 Like

You could try like 97% Gyroid and it may help.

1 Like

I’m past the failure point on my prior prints so I think the glue worked. I might try it anyway…

I’ve been modeling throws tonight. Not sure if I’ll get around to printing.

I have some shopping to do; I think I want a second color material, I need a bunch of tools, and I maybe want to bang together a raspberry pi, octoprint, webcam setup…

2 Likes

The start of going down the rabbit hole.

2 Likes

Other half turned out identical which is a good thing in this case so I’ll sandwich these together and see how they play before tinkering and junk

1 Like

I have a raspberry pi 4 with web cam and sd card setup for octoprint if you want it for cheap.

1 Like

What’s the axle gonna be?

Haven’t looked through my parts box but I’m pretty sure I have a wood dowel that’ll fit it perfect. If not I might 3d print something until I get a chance to hit the hardware store.

1 Like

Highly recommend wood. If using printed axle decrease the gap width.

1 Like

V2 (middle) turned out pretty ok. Hit the goal weight of 10g. There are one or two tweaks I would make for next print, including trying to make the channel a little deeper and the knurl pattern a little bigger, but it plays.

4 Likes

Here’s my most recent version. I think the knurling geometry looks ok but the channel unfortunately looks sloppy :slightly_frowning_face:. It’s got the right play feel but not a looker yet…

3 Likes

This is not mine, it’s a Chunkeez, but I now understand the design philosophy with both the hole and the channel printed vertically. It’s much cleaner…

2 Likes