Left handed yoyoers

who here is left handed? sometimes i feel like im the only one.

8 Likes

I am. I atruggle sometimes visualizing tutorials.

1 Like

I am also a lefty, I hate having to mirror videos and can’t read the instructions

Fellow lefty reporting, the struggle of the mirrored tutorials and learning to read backwards is real. But at the same time we got some fire throwers/champs carrying us in the comp scene :handshake:

1 Like

Lefty here, I use a firefox extension called Rotate Youtube Video to mirror tutorials. No phone solution I know of but browsers can do it.

2 Likes

It’s 2024 and YouTube has resolution, playback speed and others but not a flip video option smh

3 Likes

Lefty for life!
Actually ambidextrous now, yoyos have been an essential part of my ambidextrineity toolkit.

I think there might be an above average level of lefties in the yoyo scene.

1 Like

I’m right handed but I yoyo with my left.

1 Like

South Paw here.

Would be cool to hear what style everyone here leans towards.

I’ve put more time into freehand than everything else combined but gone through phases of looping, diabolo, offstring, hydra.
Now mostly 0A freehand with less unres freehand and still trying to learn Apparition.

1 Like

If you look around yoyostringlab makes strings with an inverse wind.

2 Likes

I am
So far i have found right handed string works best for me
And when when watching tuts i dont have much trouble but its always a big help when they say th and nth

Another lefty checking in. The more extended string dense tutorials can be a struggle.

1 Like

There are websites that mirror YouTube videos - I just use those

Yeah some times I do that as well. Still a pain though.

Especially if you’re on mobile/tablet. Only really works on PC I find.

True for sure. The one Gem in this world on that account is Mr Matio…who for a lot of tricks has uploaded mirrored versions himself.

2 Likes

I am also a Southpaw.

Growing up many decades ago, I always found it fascinating how some people would identify left-handers with nothing good

For example, in the Catholic religion, it was said that the bad angels before being cast from heaven, sat on the left-hand side of God. The good angels sat on the right side.

If you go to the eye doctor to get an eye exam when they give you the results, your vision in the right eye is called ocular Dexter. Your vision rating of your left eye is called ocular sinister.
When you look at the card, it will say ocular dex and ocular sin. But the sin is just an abbreviation for sinister.

When my mom was in grammar school in the 40s, the nuns would smack the left-handers. And during penmanship practice, the left-handers were told to sit on their left hand and practice writing with their right hands. The instructors also downgraded some of the students writing results because they often practiced With ink cartridge pens. When practicing the Palmer method of writing, left-handers have a tendency to smear the ink As they slide their hand across the page. Whereas right handers are ahead of the ink and smear nothing.

Anyway, those are just a few unsolicited examples that may interest a few folks. I know I’ve found them interesting over the years.

6 Likes

Another lefty checking in. I’m a long time guitar player who always had right handed guitar teachers, so I got used to learning from them as a mirror. Consequently, I have a decent time learning from trick tutorials where they are facing forward, but get all backed up when I try to watch a top view from a righty.

My grandmother was one of the few lefties to make it out of those days still being left-handed, and as I recall, actually having nice handwriting. Apparently her mother went down to Catholic school and gave the nuns a verbal once over about leaving her left-handedness alone.

3 Likes

Yeah same. But guitar playing always made sense to me playing “righthanded” since the fingers doing most of the intricate work are those on the left hand.

And tutorials facing forward are usually doable. Since it’s like playing in a mirror. But the POV ones do my head in.

1 Like