Knots!

Throwing often leads to some pretty crazy knots. I’d go so far as to say 25% of my practice time is spend undoing knots (maybe that’s a little exaggerated but whatever). What’s the craziest knot you’ve ever gotten? Post pictures if you can (though I doubt many people take the time to photograph their knots). The knots that I really hate are the ones that look like funky slipknots at first but pulling it doesn’t do anything and tossing the yoyo through the loop just makes it worse most of the time.

1 Like

Knots are no fun. I always get the worst after failing a spirit bomb dismount. Pains me just to think about it ha

I hate it when you do a magic knot, but your string tension is really bad, so you get this behive knot, and if you pull it makes it worse. I just had this crazy know today, i got it from a spirit bomb mount.

Sometimes I get knots around the axle (I hate those too because I usually have to unscrew the yoyo) for no reason when I do a fancy slack bind. And yeah man bad string tension can make a mess out of anything.

1 Like

HATE IT, especially when you not it up, in not it throw it and not it right back up.

I’m going to be honest I completely missed the meaning of that sentence.

1 Like

Yea. I know! I hate that! >:(

Think he meant “especially when you knot it up, unknot it, throw it, and it gets knotted up again right away”

1 Like

I once had this crazy know that I was working on getting out for hours. Literally. I finally got so tired of it that just threw it away. I felt so defeated…

That’s the worst. Ruins my whole yoyoing session.

Another bad one is when you don’t notice the knot and just keep throwing and it ends up so tight you just have to throw the whole string out.

1 Like

This is exactly why I love my Monkey Finger multitool. I always carry it connected to my yo-yo holder. It’s perfect for these knots around the yo-yo and you save time.

When a string is pretty used and I get a funky knot, I just quit. I throw the string away and get a new one. Ain’t nobody got time for knots.

1 Like

One time I got a slipknotish looking knot that contained another one just like it but smaller inside of it, and it finally ended with an impossible regular knot on the inside.

Someone recently gave me an excellent tip: use a wood toothpick. Though I’m not sure it’s any better than any of the specialized tool.

I have a pin, or a button and I just kind of twist it around and bent a hook into it so it is more able to pick those out.

I got a knot that looked like an atomic bomb exploded and made the string look that way. I just changed the string.

Walgreens sells these marvelous little tools near the toothbrush section. $5.00 gets you two of these with a dental mirror as well.

They work great!! And they fit nicely in my fanny pack that I carry my YoYo’s around in.

1 Like

When you get better, you’ll get less knots. I usually catch knots these days before they cinch up. The ones that annoy me are when I drop a GT, then remove it, then drop one right back again.

What annoys the heck out of me is my kid. He’ll knot up my string, then put the yoyo away. I’d appreciate being told it’s full of knots so I know to remove the knots.

What’s annoying me these days are my sloppy 4A binds and the inability to release. However, I’m rotating through different 4A throws so I’m causing myself a little confusion due to the inconsistency. It’s working itself out. I’m rotating through a ReXtreme, Jet Set, Fiesta XX, Go big, Aquarius and sometimes a Big Yo. I don’t use the Griffin Wing and Hayabusa very often.

I have toothpicks all over the house now. The round ones work best. The flat ones are too weak and break when you try to pull a knot loose. Also those plastic dental floss tools are great for digging out knots … the ones that hold a short piece of floss and have a pick at the end.

Most of the time I do catch knots, but I still have to take some time to pop the yoyo through. As for axle knots, I have a mechanical pencil with a reall sharp point that I use.

This is what I use - they work great (and won’t scratch up the ano on your metal throws).

1 Like