Keeping the slip knot from rotating while on the finger?

I’ve recently switched to nylon strings and I’m finding that the part connected to my finger is very slippy. It wants to rotate constantly is getting in the way of combos.

Are there any known remedies for this? I’ve tried switching directions the loop is facing with no luck.

2 Likes

One trick that helps for me is before you put the slipknot on your finger, twist the single loop that the string passes through to make the slipknot between your fingers to kind of twist it up, then while holding that twist in the single loop, secure the slipknot. Hopefully that description makes sense. It puts kind of a twisty lock in that loop that holds the string moving through it a little more securely.

There’s also a double-slip method I’ve seen but I can’t really describe that one. Someone will pop in with that one I bet!

4 Likes

beeswax stick - it’s only 3 bux

sounds silly but this is the easiest way for me, just rub it on the loop and you’ll be good for a few days - beats buying any of the specific “nylon yoyo string” waxes

2 Likes

Play 5a😝 strings don’t slip off counter weights.
Don’t mind me I’m just being a knob :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Pass the string through the loop a second time. Once you pull it tight it will hold really well. Takes a few extra seconds to remove it from your finger though.

IMG_0325

18 Likes

I use the same solution @YoYoExpertGarrett suggested above and it’s worked great for me.

Here’s some images that help explain how:

I was confused by these instructions at first…but eventually I got it and haven’t gone back to regular slip knots since.

8 Likes

Thanks so much guys! The double loop technique works perfect, you guys are saviors.

4 Likes

You can also use the Friction Brick

12 Likes

I was totally going to get one of those, but they were sold out :confused:

3 Likes

You need to make a slightly bigger loop but this works really well also.

image image image

15 Likes

Friction brick… Are you guys really just slathering chap stick or wax or whatever that is on your string? Who wants that on their fingers?

6 Likes

You have seen Jhb’s avatar! I’ve not used the friction brick, nor do I intend to but better the friction brick than……………:upside_down_face:

1 Like

You don’t slather and you can’t feel it on your fingers. Just pull the loop across the friction brick a couple times and loops don’t slip.

5 Likes

I’ve tried all the various slip knots, but they all annoy me when I want to get the string off my finger. I use the rosin from airetic on all my nylon strings. Zipline carries some also, but I find airetic’s to be easier to use.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d like to get my hands on some rosin at some point to try out. Wished zipline would’ve had them in stock when I made a big purchase with them.
I’m really happy with the method I use though (found in the instagram post I posted above). I can get it SUPER tight which I really like.
I’m lucky to have really thick skin…even when I first started back up in this hobby a few months ago I experienced no pain from the loop around my finger.

I tried the rosin puck on Airetic strings. It does kinda work like magic. It doesn’t feel grimy on your finger after use, which was very surprising to me. In theory if the rosin sticks well to itself, and also sticks better on fabric than skin, then it can do the job of making the string no slip without being messy on the finger.

But nothing is perfect, I think i feel a drop off in grip after a week or two after initial application (so the rosin is probably getting on your finger), then it either stays at a level i am happy with for a long time, or i just reapply. I do try to unwind the string a bit when applying and get the rosin in between the thread.

My recommendation for applying the rosin, is really focus at the point at the tip of the loop, and where the loop go around the string when its on your finger. You don’t need much, but if you work it in between the threads, then the rosin will last longer than the string will last (which is saying something, cuz nylon strings can last quite a bit).

3 Likes

Airetic rosin is overpriced due to the branding - a normal stick of BEESWAX will do the trick just fine

They recently raised prices on their already somewhat pricey string - I’ll stick to my $4 stick of beeswax instead…their logo is ugly anyway :joy:

1 Like

STOP JUDGING ME!!!

lol :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m looking for some rosin material. They’re all sold out at zipline and airetic… Anyone have any ideas besides the beeze wax, with the later I get confused about the options and what exactly I’m buying from the selection.

I’ve been adding this second loop that sits just above my knuckle. Regular slip knot and then the second simple loop to trap the knuckle. Completely keeps it centered without the death grip of a double knot.

3 Likes