Slipknots (no not the not the band)

I’ve seen subjects on this in the past but nothing has really solved the issue I’m having. So, as I develop my tricks and as the tricks get more technical, I’m running into an issue where the slipknot on my yoyo finger comes loose and gets disoriented, so when I’m finishing off the trick, the string is oriented sideways and can screw up the bind or how I catch the yoyo from the bind. In past threads I’ve read that some people use beeswax on the end of the string, which does work but I don’t really like getting that near my more expensive yoyo’s. I’ve also tried the double slipknot, which also works but it holds like a death grip and is extremely hard to get off. I also read about a creative loop that you put over your yoyo finger which does work but I just don’t like the feel of it and it shortens the length of the string enough to bother me. So the best way I can describe this is when I’m doing Skin the Gerbil, when I bring the yoyo back to loop over my yoyo finger and then back to my other hand is where the slipknot gets loose, there are also other instances where this happens and as I progress, I’ve noticed that it’s happening more and more and I often have to stop in the middle of the trick to tighten up the knot on my finger, which is super annoying.

So how are you all dealing with this? Have you found a method that works for you? Am I the only one that has this problem? I am a noob so I just wanted to see if anyone has any clever solutions to this issue. It’s not a huge problem but something I would like to figure out.

Thank you all for your time!

1 Like

Double slip knot works for me. It does a better job of locking the loop down to reduce the amount it can loosen (or tighten). I find that this is enough, even with slippery nylon blends.

Check the follow-up post with a link to Nate Martsolf’s IG. His signature Zipline string is a (IMO) particularly slippery nylon blend.

Thanks, yeah, that is the thread I had originally found on the subject. I’ve tired all of those but not so much luck, I may just have to get used to the double slipknot. Do you have any trouble getting the double knot off your finger? I mean it’s not too big of a deal but it’s hard to get off and it starts cutting off the circulation to my finger… I’ll play with a yoyo for hours at a time so my finger start turning purple. Maybe I I’m doing it wrong. I will give it another shot.

It can take a bit of adjustment to get it locked in, at which point both loosening enough to rotate and becoming tight enough to cut circulation are much reduced (but not completely!) This does mean that it can be hard to unlock and remove.

I find that it makes a difference how it loops around the finger too. If my hand is palm down, the single stand has to pass over the top.

2 Likes

This happens to me with looping most often. I find using finger tape keeps my knots in place. A bandaid or a glove might work in a pinch but you’re better off with the tape imo

2 Likes

I have noticed that it helps too, sometimes I use a bandaid because I can still get sore there even though I have the calluses built up pretty well now, if I’m playing for long periods of time it can still get sore. I bought some medical tape wrap to try that out but it’s too thick… I may have to buy some of the finger tape they sell specifically for yoyoing.

Can you further explain what you mean here, I’m not picturing it.

Yah so just to cover all bases make sure the slipknot is facing the right direction like flip it the other way and see if that fixes it or makes it worse. This is normal though and happened to me when I started and also on my left hand when I started 3a. It does go away as your calluses get more and more developed ime (except some strings are slippery for a second until they break in). One other option you can try is to make the original loop very very big when you first tie it so that when you make it a slipknot to play, the loop goes all the way around and over the knot.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s good to hear that it goes away after your calluses build up more. I was wondering if all you more advanced players always double up the slipknots or if use the regular slipknots… I guess as with anything, it depends on the individual.

1 Like

This is how I orient the loop for the best result (pardon the crude graphic).

But @GTDropKnot makes a good point - it may take some experimentation to figure out what works best for you (fwiw I reverse the orientation for looping).

loop-orientation

4 Likes

Much appreciated. I think I got it in my head from a YoTricks video that if you your palm is facing down, the double strings should always be facing your ring finger whereas the single string should always be on the side of your pointer finger, which is how I think you have it there. I’ve never really experimented with that since then. I will play around with it some more. The beeswax really does work well and I do use it on some of my cheaper throws. I have a huge stick of it that I bought in 2011 for some woodworking uses, I have a few lathes and love turning but the amount I have will last me several lifetimes so it’s good to have other uses for it.

Btw, what yoyo is pictured there?

It is the Format:C Gen 2 Flat Face Proto that OD released as a “lab experiment”.

2 Likes

It looks awesome, how does it play?

1 Like

It’s by no means a huge difference to the production.

Being a FC:G2 addict, I have all three. There is a slight difference, correlating to the weight distribution differences but IMO the production version is the best balance of performance and design.

I.e the flat face doesn’t look as “finished” to me.

2 Likes

I just tried the beeswax again, you know, for science… it actually works quite well, I must admit. Here’s the stick I bought over 13 years ago. I’ve barely used any of it up in that time.

1 Like

Ah see, I didn’t even know there was one in production… now I have another yoyo to add to the list! I don’t know how I missed that one, I’ve been eyeing a lot of OD, C3 & Atmos throws lately.

Edit* never mind, I see that I actually have it in one of my wish lists. haha

2 Likes

Some (including myself) were skeptical of the low weight and that is a prominent characteristic (for better and worse). But overall I think it is a lot of fun.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I see it is pretty light at 61.4 grams… interesting. My sweet spot has been mid 60’s, I even like them a bit heavier, like the Ekta is 67.3 grams, which feel really good to me. Speaking of, the new one should be arriving this week!

1 Like

On paper, Ekta is way more my style. Looks great.

1 Like

The Ekta is by far my favorite yoyo, even with the issue I had with the weight rings. Rueben has been nothing but a pleasure to do business with, he handled my situation with integrity and let me keep the one I got to use more as a beater and sent a replacement with no extra charge even though I told him I would be willing to pay for the replacement. Just by the look and feel of it in my hand, I can tell it’s of the highest quality. It’s my holy grail of yoyo’s at this point in time. I highly recommend it, it’s worth every penny.

1 Like

When I find this happens in a given trick, I turn the loop around the opposite way on my finger. This usually fixes the problem.

1 Like