Just ordered the Aitch from One-Drop

Pics? Opinion thoughts?

1 Like

Feels fast… light in the string… smooooth…. Comfortable shape… doesn’t clunk at the end of the string… great machine work…. And beautiful/smooth ano work as usual.
Great price range.

21 Likes

Damn… knew I should’ve sprung for a Saturday Market. Looks so good.

2 Likes

Its such an extreme shape… what are its weaknesses? I like the size but worried it feels weird or plays weird

Damnnnn, fast and light on the string for such an extreme H shape? OneDrop really do know what they are doing. Such qualities are difficult to find in H shapes, especially such extreme ones, which tend to feel way too weighty due to the amount of rim weight. Only H shapes I ever played that didn’t feel too weighty are the iYoYo Titanic and the Mowl Surveillance. Good thing I copped 2!

Honestly, if you’re used to playing with organic shaped yoyos, this is definitely not the yoyo for you. There’s a reason why such extreme H shapes are few and far between (@FewandFarBetween should make some extreme H shape designs) and most H shapes are just step round shapes that are more organic than H (just look at the Dressel Design Assassin and the GWAY Daredevil masquerading as H shapes) or have the YYF Genesis style H shape (which is not super extreme since it’s not a huge drop from the rims to the bearing seat area, just a little dip). The catch would not be painful per se, but it’s not going to be as comfortable as your organic yoyos or your step round H shape yoyos. The width of the yoyo is probably it’s biggest drawback, because it’s very difficult to make an extreme H shape yoyo with a large width without making the diameter larger, it just doesn’t work. Such an extreme H shape requires a diameter to width ratio of 1.3 at minimum. Just look at the Iceberg V1 versus the Iceberg V2, the V2 doesn’t really look like a H shape anymore, it looks more like a V shape. The Aitch has a diameter to width ratio of 1.4, so it’s even more extreme than even the Mowl Surveillance and Surveil and pretty much every iYoYo H shape out there (Iceberg V1, Steel, Firrox, Firrox 7075, Titanic, Hidra, Shooting Star, Kickstart, iYoYo 2, etc). So you’re going to have to work with it’s limited width, and it’s catch zone is even smaller thanks to it’s large rims, which is normal for such extreme H shapes. I think you can see why they’re not popular in the midst of manufacturers making wider and wider competition-oriented yoyos (extreme H shape yoyos are competition-oriented since they are unmatched in terms of stability and power) that are basically all catch zone (V shapes) nowadays. As mentioned above, most extreme H shapes will play very solidly and have a weighty feel to it due to the huge amount of rim weight on the rims and can feel sluggish. As a result, their stability and power on the string is unrivalled by any other shape, but their speed and agility takes a hit. They pretty much never feel floaty due to all that rim weight. If that doesn’t appeal to you, then it’s not a yoyo you should get. If you don’t like sharp, angular designs, then an extreme H shape is not for you either.

What I have mentioned just now is just H shapes in general, since I haven’t got the Aitch and from what @yoyodoc said, the Aitch seems to have subverted some expectations of how extreme H shapes would play. But its play is going to be a far cry from your regular organic and step round H shape yoyos and a far cry from the V shape competition-oriented yoyos that you’re used to.

5 Likes

What you talk about the H shape is exactly why I am starting to appreciate the flame YYF. Its light fast and nimble but plays like an H. The thin width of the aitch i think is interesting and might help reduce the wobbles on the throw. It seems interesting

1 Like

Sure, but the YYF Flame is not an extreme H shape by any stretch of the imagination. I don’t think it’d be wise to use the YYF Flame as something that plays similar to the Aitch, because they’re very, very different. It seems that you just want to power and stability of the H shape but want the H shaped yoyo to also be light, fast and nimble, which is quite a lot to ask for considering that extreme H shapes don’t usually play light, fast or nimble. The Aitch is only about 1.5 gram less than the YYF Flame, but it is over 8mm narrower in width, which means the weight in the Aitch is likely to be much less distributed and will feel more dense. The YYF Flame is also a bimetal, so it’s a lot more material that they can put at the centre or at the middle to balance out the rim weight, something that the Aitch is going to have difficulty in since it is a monometal.

I don’t think the thin width of the Aitch is going to help in any way with your throws. If your throws are wobbly, then they’re going to remain wobbly until you make it smooth. I suck at regens, and regnerating on my slimline Resto still wobbles the crap out of the Resto. It really doesn’t make much of a difference.

I just think that when you consider buying the Aitch, your expectations should be realistic. Expect that the Aitch will play weighty and solidly and not be very light, nimble and fast since it’s an extreme H shape. If you’re not fine with a yoyo like that, then I suggest skipping on the Aitch. Personally, I love fast, nimble yoyos but I’m willing to take a chance on the Aitch even though it may very well play too weighty for my liking. @yoyodoc’s review has me more confident it would play more to my liking. Decide for yourself if it is a chance you would like to take.

We might have to now :wink::joy:

4 Likes

There are just too many assumptions you are making about my post.

But here is the TM and flame. How do you not think the flame is an extreme H? Both of these are hard H imo but in different ways. I don’t get wobbles with the TM but I do with the flame. Some shapes are just more prone to exaggerate flaws in the throw. Curious how the aitch feels and its weaknesses

5 Likes

The Flame is more of a “W” shape, maybe “V” depending on who you ask. Certainly not an extreme “H”

2 Likes

Or bell shaped.

2 Likes

And the shutter? I’ve only heard the shutter classified as an H… and this is more shapely. I don’t think its a V… I can see bell… but in terms of O, V, H, W

1 Like

I’d say it’s a bell shaped V :joy:

1 Like

Idk, “baby H”? Gentry’s old Super G is really a better example of a pure H. It played exactly how you’d expect a 68g H to play but hey, it was stable

2 Likes

You should ask yourself why and how those assumptions came about. Let’s go back to the very first post that I replied to. Keep in mind that I don’t know anything about your preferences or expectations for the Aitch and all the information I have to go off of is your replies to me on this thread.

This, to me, implies that you have never played any yoyo that is similar to an extreme H shape, since you have emphasised how extreme it is using the word “such”. Of course, this is not true as you have just posted a picture of the YYR TM, which is an extreme H shape.

This, again, also implies that you don’t have much experience with extreme H shapes, since you’re asking about the weaknesses of a yoyo with an extreme H shape and generally, extreme H shapes don’t differ much from each other in terms of play characteristics due to their extreme design. This is, of course, yet again proven wrong because you have posted a picture of your TM.

Here, you use the word “weird”, which to me is undefined. Since I have no idea what you’re expecting from the Aitch and what your preferences are, I have no idea what you mean by weird. Weird meaning too heavy? Too light? Too nimble? Too fast? Too floaty? Too uncatchable? Anything that isn’t within your expectations of the Aitch can be considered weird, so the best answer for me to give you is a general overview of how extreme H shapes play so you can decide for yourself based on your preferences and expectations.

In your next reply, you mentioned a comparison yoyo that is in no way an extreme H shape by any stretch of the imagination. You can call it H shape if you want, but it is by no means an extreme H shape. I’ll explain why later. This just ended up reinforcing my assumption that you have no prior experience with extreme H shape yoyos since you tried to liken a yoyo that isn’t an extreme H shape to the Aitch.

Here, you state your expectations for an extreme H shape based on your experience with the YYF Flame, which makes my assumption that you have little to no prior experience with extreme H shapes seem even more true. Hence, my reply to you was about adjusting your expectations of the Aitch to be something more realistic based of how extreme H shapes play in general, because your comparison yoyo, the YYF Flame, is not at all similar to an extreme H shape.

As you can see, over the course of your replies, you have made it seem like the Aitch is going to be your first foray into such extreme H shapes and are worried about how they play. This has been disproven since you posted a picture of your TM.

Now there’s something that really confuses me. Since you have experience with extreme H shapes, why are you asking about the weaknesses of an extreme H shape yoyo? The experiences should already inform you about how these shapes play like, and they’re generally very similar across the board due to their extreme design. There isn’t a lot you can vary about a shape so extreme, since it’s design is limited by it’s shape having to look a certain way. Therefore, the Aitch will have similar weaknesses to other extreme H shape yoyos.

If you’re trying to ask for weaknesses specific to the Aitch, thinking there’s probably something it doesn’t do well that extreme H shapes typically do well in, then I think you’re just trying to find faults with the yoyo that won’t be found. The Chinese idiom “鸡蛋里挑骨头” describes this attitude perfectly. Sure, you might think that @yoyodoc saying the Aitch is fast and light on the string means that the Aitch has to give something in return for that, but the fact is that the extreme H shape of the yoyo does most of the work in providing power and stability, so it is highly unlikely that the Aitch would be lacking in power and stability. It will definitely be able to handle whatever you throw at it, maybe even better than some of your V shaped bimetals and definitely better than some organic bimetal yoyos. It might not be as powerful and as long spinning as the TM, but that’s mostly due to it’s weight being much lower. The two H shape yoyos I have that don’t play weighty on the string, the iYoYo Titanic and the Mowl Surveillance, all do not suffer from the lack of stability and power. My Mowl Surveillance easily beats my YoYoFriends Hummingbird in terms of power and stability and is the most stable bimetal in my collection. The iYoYo Titanic is my most stable monometal ever. So I have no idea why you still choose to ask about the weaknesses of the Aitch when you know pretty well what it’s weaknesses are from your experience with the TM.

Now on to why the YYF Flame is absolutely not an extreme H shape. First, the definition of extreme is reaching a high or the highest degree; very great. That means the yoyo’s profile literally needs to look like a H for it to be an extreme H shape. It is the most important criteria in determining whether a yoyo is an extreme H shape or not, and there’s pretty much only one single shape that fits. If the yoyo looks like the TM, the Super G, Hspin Envy or the Aitch, it’s an extreme H shape. Everything else is not. That is why the adjective extreme is in front of it, it’s all or nothing, very extreme and very black and white. There is no gray area, the yoyo is either an extreme H shape, or it’s not.

Next, here are two characteristics that extreme H shape yoyos meet. As mentioned before, extreme H shape yoyos typically have a diameter to width ratio of at least 1.30 (rounded). The TM has a ratio of 1.295 ≈ 1.30, the Super G has a ratio of 1.320, the Hspin Envy has a ratio of 1.410 and the Aitch has a ratio of 1.410. The Flame however, has a ratio of 1.177 ≈ 1.20, which is definitely not anywhere close to 1.30. Another characteristic of extreme H shape yoyos is that they have an extremely steep, sharp drop from the rims to the centre portion of the yoyo. The walls surrounding the centre of the yoyo is pretty much flat, no curves whatsover, which result in high walls around the centre of the yoyo, but it doesn’t affect stability much since the walls are much further away from the centre of the yoyo than organic shaped yoyos. There is a extremely clear boundary where the centre of the yoyo ends and where the rims begin. The Flame has no such sudden steep drop and there is no clear boundary between where the centre of the yoyo ends and where the rim begins, the whole yoyo is joined smoothly together.

As such, the Flame is definitely not a extreme H shape yoyo, since it doesn’t meet any of the 4 criterias mentioned above. I wouldn’t even consider it to be a hard H shape. A hard H shape to me is something like the Mowl Surveillance and Surveil or iYoYo’s H shapes (as mentioned above, the Steel, Iceberg, Titanic, Kickstart and so on). There is a steep drop towards the centre of the yoyo (though not as steep as extreme H shapes), there is a clear boundary between the rims and the centre of the yoyo, their walls are still relatively high and they still meet the diameter to width ratio requirement of 1.30 (rounded). The Flame just another one of those yoyos with the step round (or what you call bell shape) H shape that are popular with tons of yoyoers for obvious reasons (people love organics a lot for some reason). Everything with this step round H shape is being called H shape nowadays, when they’re really just that, step round or bell shape. Even almost purely organic yoyos are being called H shape because of this step round H shape. You can see kinda see where the H part comes in, with the centre being much smaller than the rims and there’s a drop towards the centre instead of a straight line (V shapes) and the rims not being flared out, but it really isn’t a H shape.

As for the wobbles, it’s likely that your hands are just more comfortable with yoyos with smaller widths (like mine) and hence have more control over the yoyo. Another important thing to note is that the TM has high walls (due to it’s extreme H shape), like a lot of slimline and organic yoyos which makes regenerations and throwing much easier due to the yoyo flipping more easily, resulting in less wobbling since the yoyo comes out straighter (it’s why looping yoyos are imperial shaped and never anything else). So it’s not necessarily the large width of the yoyo that exaggerate the wobbling, but the low walls of the yoyo. A Bowl XL would probably wobble just as much as, or even less, than the TM. Of course, for a yoyo with smaller width, the walls are likely to be higher since there’s much less width to work with to make the walls lower, which means less wobbling on regenerations and when throwing, but this isn’t the case all the time.

2 Likes

Jesus man… this reply is kind of like when a professor corrects a student in front of the class but goes WAY too hard, to the point where it seems like they’re just trying to show off how much they know. No matter how right/correct/valid anything you just said is, it just comes off the wrong way. Very “ACKCHYUALLY” type response for something as simple as yoyos. We’re all just out here trying to have a good time.

(And my Aitch should be here tomorrow, which I’m very much looking forward to!)

14 Likes

The H shape part is all opinion. That’s how I define extreme H shapes. Many people don’t think the same way and there is no definition set in stone for what an extreme H shape yoyo is, unlike science. Everybody calls the step round shape a H shape, but what am I supposed to do about that? I disagree with it, so I don’t use it myself, but that’s all I can do.

I define categories for yoyo diameters differently as well, mid-sized for anything 50-54mm, undersized for anything 41-49mm, mini for anything 31-40mm and micro for anything below 30mm. Everyone else seems to be using undersized for anything 50-55mm and mini for anything below 49mm.

I am really jealous yours is coming tomorrow mine hasn’t moved and I am just in SoCal :weary:

1 Like

When did you order it and when did you last check tracking? I’m in Socal as well, and I got it the afternoon of release - for awhile it was stuck in the pre-shipment phase and then all of a sudden last night it was in my county. USPS is funky for sure so check tracking often.

Yeah I actually ordered mine a few minutes after it dropped. Maybe I’ll get a surprise tomorrow

2 Likes