Just learned bind; What to learn next?

i don’t consider it a waste at all. i totally understand (and agree) with you purchase decision; if you can afford it why not start with a high end throw? and even if you cannot afford it, it is none of my business.

Overall, high quality equipment in whatever task you undertake can make learning easier. by the way, i am probably just a tad bit ahead of you by a couple of weeks and i also bought an AC2 (last week). it may not make you (or me) a better player but at least you are not asking yourself if you are being held back by not having a better yoyo. actually i think it will make you a better player and increase your enjoyment thus increase your practice time.

additionally, i already have several “lesser” quality yo-yos and even for some of the intermediate tricks i do, i can perform them easier and more consistently with my higher end yo-yos. if i were really really good, then yoyo quality would not make as much of a difference but at my (your) level every little bit helps, right?

i definitely do not agree with the “gotta pay your dues” on a cheap yoyo mentality. as above poster stated, $120 is really not a major commitment and for most of us and is not going to cause to us miss any meals or miss paying the bills (for us working stiffs). So, enjoy that new AC2 and keep up posted on your progress and what tricks you can do (or learning to do).

and don’t be surprised if you end up with several additional mid to high end yo-yos in the near future. that’s just part of the fun of playing / collecting.

gw

1 Like

Well I’m not gonna say that it won’t do the job, it’s just that in general, people tend to make more mistakes as a beginner, so in the end, wouldn’t you have felt better to ding up a cheap yoyo while learning instead of a $120 one? Sure it’s your money in the end and yeah, it’s not my problem so I shouldn’t really be worrying about it, but those yoyo’s come unresponsive and if you can’t even bind when you get it…

I don’t know. If you have the option to save money without any downsides, especially in a situation like this, why don’t you take it? And I would think you would get a lot better a lot faster if you didn’t worry about banging your shiny new yoyo into the ground. You know, not be worried about throwing hard and stuff.

In the end, yes it’s your money, your choice. I just don’t see the point in spending extra money where it is unreasonably unnecessary.

I started with a dark magic 2 learned how to bind on my yyj surge the day after then got my wooly marmot 2 in the mail the next day and started learning tricks very fast. Now I can land a spirit bomb, less than 3 weeks later. Don’t listen to people who say you don’t need that expensive yoyo. You will learn faster. I still use my cheaper yoyos. They are all fun.

Same with the “fixed axle movement”. Yeah sure, you can do some cool tricks on a fixed axle but I bet you didn’t learn on one.

I just do not agree with your "I just don’t see the point in spending extra money where it is unreasonably unnecessary. "

Maybe you don’t see the point but I do and that is the reason I went ahead and bought it. I am a grown up and I know how to take care of costly things.
Maybe you started with a responsive yoyo but I did not want to. I liked it so I bought it; that’s it. Its a hobby. We are not standing in the grocery store thinking which shower gel to buy. You can argue standing there that alright lets buy Axe coz its a bit cheaper than Nivea and you can get away with it.
I am not here to save money. I save money where it makes sense to. Yoyoing is a leisurely thing that I like to do.
I have fishes in my aquarium which are worth more than $200 each. Yeah, I could have bought $2 goldfish and be happy with it but hobbies just don’t work that way.
Do you always drink coors light just because its cheaper than leinenkugel?
When I was watching the yoyo videos for the first time, the person doing tricks had a nice CLWY and that made me interested in yoyoing as a whole. So I bought a AC 2.
A plastic yoyo did not fascinate me so why would I start with that?
GregP said it right, it’s not how learning works. I want to start with the gear of my choice, not the one that is prescribed. No one asked me to go and learn yoyoing so why would someone tell me which yoyo to buy?
And to tell you, I land a good trapeze, do a brain twister and working on my double or nothing. This all in 2 weeks with 4 classes in grad school with three days/week in office. If I’d have bought a cheap plastic one, I am sure I’d have never ever learned this much in two weeks. I wouldn’t have felt the excitement that I feel while playing with a $125 yoyo.
So please don’t try to find “points” in “I” spending “my” money to buy anything that “I” want. I like playing it and I am satisfied with it. That’s all it matters.

[quote=“qpwoei12,post:42,topic:65852”]
I’ve hardly dinged any yoyos at all, and I play EVERRWHAR… I’m playing over concrete, ashphalt, and tile floors all the time. Way more than I play over carpet. :wink:

And when I HAVE dinged them, I haven’t cared. At all. Some of us don’t care much about dings, either. I don’t go out of my way to damage my yoyos… I’m aware of my surroundings and I don’t throw wild. My yoyos are as well cared-for as they need to be. Meanwhile, I get to have fun with them wherever I happen to be! It’s a winning situation to not obsess over a material possession.

Nice purchase Sumer. I think you did the right thing. I started with a Dark Magic, and within a week I ordered a SPYY Addiction 2. I wish I had started with the SPYY. I would of saved the money I spent on the DM. Now I have 20 + higher end throws. Do I need them all? No, but its my money and I can spend it how I please. I agree with starting with a unresponsive. All you have to learn is to bind, and then you are on your way. Don’t let the negative people get you down, and welcome to this wonderful hobby.

Yup. Its your life and its your money and you can do whatever you like with it.

I feel the same way I started about a month ago. I could have bought few more expensive ones or a whole bunch of cheap ones. I got 6 in the $50 range. It’s what you like not what other people think. Last week I got 4 more in the same price range. In a couple of days I’ll have 7 more. Overboard for a beginner most will say definitely. But it’s my money and only I say what I can spend it on. So many shapes styles and colorways I’m loving the variety of the play styles they all have.

So who ever has a problem that you bought what you wanted sorry to offend anyone but they are most likely just jealous. So any bad comments you get should give you a big smile… Cheers and enjoy!!!