Introduce Yourself!

Hey,
My name’s Ryan, first time in a forum, glad to be here and thanks for having me.
I got back into yo-yoing this year as a 30 year old after being a kid who collected yo-yos 20 years ago (preinternet in South Africa) It’s so cool to see how far this hobby has come.
I started throwing in 2000/2001 at the age of 10, after trying my auntie’s Coke-a-colla Russel yo-yo from the 60’s.
My aunt called me over and threw a sleeper, I was baffled at how the mechanics of the yo-yo worked and how it “stayed down.” She then performed a rock-the-baby, around the world and several loops- to say my mind was blown is an understatement. I had to learn this… immediately.
In her opinion, “new” yo-yos were rubbish and it had to have a wooden axle. I went on the hunt.
I found a Yotech Asteria, not only did it have a wooden axle but it also glowed in the dark.
After some practice I took my Asteria to school and showed my friends how cool yo-yoing was.
I grabbed a few Yotech Asteria’s from the store across the street and started selling them at school, pretty soon half the grade was yo-yoing.
A couple years later, on a trip to America I saw a Black & Gold half swap, Playmaxx Cold Fusion… Jesus, Mary and Josep, it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. As a 13 year old, the $150 price tag (I believe) was out of my parents budget, however there was the plastic Turbo Bumble Bee which was within my parents budget. The performance upgrade of the ball bearing and cork response pads, over a wooden axle, opened up a whole new world of tricks; I couldn’t get enough.
A few years later with a new drivers license, finding a girlfriend and studies starting to become more of a priority, yo-yoing fell to the way side for me.
After a 15 year hiatus I found my old Asteria and Turbo Bumble Bee. The nostalgia was overwhelming, I jumped online and YouTubed yo-yoing. Seeing Gentry Stein, Evan Nagou (and later on Mark Montgomery) videos brought on the exact feelings I had when my mind was first blown witnessing my aunt throw a sleeper.
Needless to stay I ordered a modern yo-yo (several actually) and have no plans on ever having another hiatus.
Looking forward to getting involved in this world. Appreciate it.
Ryan.

16 Likes

Man, I hope you have food set aside… because if you are like me. You will buy yo-yos until you only can afford rice and beans :joy: I was born a few years ahead of you (1984) so you came in when there was a little more potential. My mind had been blown lately with all the cool advancements!

Welcome!!! and hide your wallet!!!

5 Likes

Thanks for the welcome Matt!
Yeah, I hear you, Yo-yos > Food. :joy:
There really is no shortage in variety these days! It’s unbelievable how different each yo-yo behaves on the string, it really does make you dig deep into the pockets. But so worth it, gotta keep the passion alive :wink::+1:

6 Likes

I am a sucker for the iYoyo iceberg… the colors are so nice to me! Of course I a sucker for a bunch of other design s but the iceberg is my thing… of course, other brands do the bi color bimetal designs also…

3 Likes

I can totally see why you dig the Iceberg, amazing colour options and the reviews seem unanimously positive in the way it plays.

I haven’t had the pleasure of playing with an Iceberg (yet) but I have tried an alternative which appears very similar- The Mowl Surveil.
Check it out if you haven’t, the clear with the matte rainbow rims is really beautiful in person.

I would love to hear someone’s opinion on how the Iceberg compares with the Surveil in play.
If one has a Surveil is it worth getting an Iceberg and vice versa?

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the Surveil yet… good suggestion :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Glad that you have gotten back into it after 15 years. That cold fusion is quite a find!

2 Likes

I got both I can give them a comparison and get back to you when I got some time off from work. :grin: from what I remember they do play quite a bit different in their play feel then I expected.

2 Likes

Thanks Hanker. So great that a platform like this exists.

That would be really interesting Tobias, it would be really awesome to hear about the differences and which you find preferable or if they’re even comparable at all.
With the popularity and loyal following of the Ice Berg, I may need to give it a try after all.
Purely from a cool factor and feeling “special” Mowl is among my favourite brands.

6 Likes

I am curious too (rooting for the iceberg) :joy:

1 Like

Hello folks,
Got back into throwing about 6 months ago after a lonnnng hiatus. This seems like a great community and stoked to be a part of it.

9 Likes

Welcome!!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Glad you’ve found your way back into the yoyo scene. Hope you’ll enjoy your stay here!

3 Likes

Hi, my name is Sam. I had yoyos when I was a kid and then bought a few newer ones in the 90s and now got interested in them again. I am OLD, but am just a rank beginner thrower. We didn’t have the Internet or access to videos when I was young. Now the web is full of them and apps make learning easily accessible. I only throw because I enjoyed it as a kid and now it gives my old hands something to do. Enjoy!

13 Likes

How old :wink: we got some old farts here!!

3 Likes

Name is Sam. I am 70… retired and old enough to do things that I enjoy. I don’t plan on being a master thrower like all of you younger peeps. But, I am going to try and have some fun.

14 Likes

I’ll be 56 in July. Welcome!

5 Likes

Well for the record, I am not a master thrower like many others. I just love to collect, invest, hoard, etc… I do plan to stop buying and start trying some actual tricks here and there. Breakaway was my hardest hurdle. Now I just sit there on the trapeze thinking, what next?

5 Likes

Thank you :v:t2:

2 Likes

Is there a way to just pose a question without finding a topic?

1 Like