Introduce Yourself!

Don’t feel that way. I taught my neighbor to yoyo a year and half ago and he is now better than I will ever be and I too sometimes don’t take my yoyo out of my pocket when we are together. But it eventually comes out. The only person I am competing with is myself - am I better than I was a year ago? OH, YEAH!!! The thing is, there are literally more tricks in existence than when you were a kid. Explore the learn section on YYE and explore youtube. Or just do you and have fun with one of the best pocket-friendly toys ever invented!

5 Likes

Good advice, Chris. Maybe this forum will spur me on. :fist:t4:

4 Likes

That’s great! :smiley: And yeah 10 weeks of chores is nothing to sneeze at!

1 Like

Right. Back then $1 was big :moneybag:.

3 Likes

I have updated post after moving.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Keith. I started throwing in the 90s on a Yomega Fireball and a Duncan Butterfly.
I played for fun; I was really into loops (just one handed) and could reliably land a trapeze and a brain twister. Then I stopped for a while.

A few months ago, I bought a Butterfly XT on a whim at Target. It’s been a long pandemic and I’ve been looking to hobbies to occupy my mind. With respect to yo-yos, it was like not a day had passed. I could still land everything I could as a kid.

Since then, I’ve acquired a few more throws. My current favorite is my newly acquired Spinworthy x MK1 RBC. I’ve gotten really into 0A, but am also working on 1A, 2A, and 5A.

I mostly started lurking here to catch a wood fixie drop (I’m looking at you, deHcade), but I’ve found the community here to be pretty great. I’ve learned a ton and am excited to learn more.

Besides yo-yos, I also play ultimate frisbee, cycle, I’m a musician (my current favorite instrument is the ukulele), and a board gamer.

15 Likes

So the name is Matt, and I am 37 years old. I haven’t held a yo-yo (except this past week) since middle school. This was in the late 90’s when yo-yos were super limited. I just recently watched my five children fight over a free yo-yo that I got in a promotional bag from the Air Force Resilience Office. I am not in the military anymore, I just work for them as a civilian. I worked C-130, F-15, J-Stars, and Global Hawk. Anyway… I just bought a variety of yo-yos because I was so excited to see my kids enjoy a yo-yo. Well, they are actually done with it because of frustration but I am still enjoying it. My finger is a little tender but I am trucking on. I ordered a few very nice yo-yos but some of the nostalgic and plastic yo-yos are what I mess with the most! I plan to start learning tricks soon. I am probably a 0A player at the moment, 1A is my goal. 5A would be my only other consideration. The other A’s do not seem to entice me at my old age! Hope y’all welcome the old man! Anyone in middle Georgia?

10 Likes

Welcome to the forums! It’s pretty amazing that you can still land everything that you can as a kid, that’s some crazy memory right there.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Wow, that is a huge amount of money that you spent on yoyos when you’re just starting, I don’t think anyone started by spending $900 on yoyos so that’s a first. Hopefully, you’ll continue to stick with the hobby to make your investment worth it. Maybe you could inspire your kids to play yoyo again with the cool tricks you learn! Happy yoyoing!

2 Likes

Wow that’s a great choice for a first titanium, it’s my favourite titanium yoyo. I’m thinking of getting more of them. Titanium yoyos are definitely awesome, they have a unique feel in play and are super durable, making them the best EDCs, albeit expensive EDCs. That’s exactly what Dylan Kowalski did!

I also never really got the point of the fidget toys craze, maybe people are just too lazy nowadays to play something that requires some hard work and dedication. 0A super sleepers are difficult, as a 0A yoyo needs to be pretty responsive to do stalls and regenerations which will inevitably kill the spin time of the yoyo. You can look at modern 1A responsive yoyos like the Recess First Base if you want more sleep time on your responsive yoyo, but they wouldn’t be great for 0A tricks.

I wish I was 37 years old again! We are not a bunch of kiddies here. I’m 55. Welcome back to yoyo!

4 Likes

Hi!

I live in the Atlanta area. We’ve been having a club meeting about once a month. Next one should be in January.

I have a similar origin story, though my kids got their cheap yoyo in 2018 so i’ve had a lot of practice since then.

The RBC wasn’t quite intended to sleep a really long time - there are other responsive yoyos with more rim weight out there, though. I have some you can try (alleycat, and some convertible models) if we ever meet up!

2 Likes

I can’t find the alleycat anywhere, I had heard that would be something like what i was looking for.

1 Like

57 I win :trophy:. Although with joint pain I Don,t feel like I win :confused: .

2 Likes

Hey, I’m Pouet :slight_smile:

Back in 2012, I remembered yomega xbrain toy I had as kid. I discovered then all this yoyo/skilltoy hobbies.
Got some classics (mainly YYF / YYJ).
I’m not practicing that much but like to follow how it evolves.

11 Likes

Welcome to the forums! You’ll find that yoyo has evolved a ton since 2012 and more crazy yoyos are still coming out!

1 Like

Welcome! I still only know those tricks you knew as a kid, but I am about to hit the ground running! Kinda hard to find time with work and 5 kids…

2 Likes

Hey all, Andy here.

I started my yo-yo journey in the early 90’s with $5 got me this:

It’s always been one of my prized possessions and I’ve gotten it out and thrown it from time to time throughout the years.

14 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Glad that you rediscovered yoyo! Awesome dreams! I bet lots of people would want to visit OneDrop in Eugene, me included.

4 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like