Introduce Yourself!

Welcome to the forums! Looks like you’re a big fan of all things Japanese.

Hey @Marioyo! As a machine shop foreman I foresee your input as being valuable around here! Happy yoyo.

Thanks for the warm welcome :pray:

Welcome to all the new members.
Lots of info available here, even more from the members who frequent this space.
I love seeing the new member posts. This hobby needs new blood and new perspective to remain relevant. Such a fun hobby with many good peeps willing to help.

Have fun, throw often.

kgb

9 Likes

Hello all, I’m a returning thrower. I recently got back into yoyoing after a ~10 year hiatus. I’m excited to be back and looking forward to sharing this forum with you all. My old collection has been sitting in the box the whole time and everything plays like it did the day I left it. Other than that, I wouldn’t mind if someone could give me a quick run down on what has changed since I was last around.

15 Likes

10 years? Welcome back!

6 Likes

Welcome back! That’s a long hiatus!

Lots have changed since then. Now there are unresponsive yoyos everywhere, tons of boutique companies, quite a few boutique string makers. YoYoJam is no more and the tricks are insane nowadays. The most popular yoyos nowadays are the Topyo Silenus, A-RT Grail, Markmont Classic, Markmont Classic Magnum Opus, Throw Spiral Kappa, YoYoFriends Hummingbird, YoYoFriends Peregrine, C3yoyodesign Speedaholic XX (plastic), Recess First Base (beginner yoyo), YoYoRecreation Chopsticks Gorilla, YoYoRecreation Draupnir, Dressel Designs Assassin (pocket yoyo), One Drop Panorama (slimline yoyo) and pretty much every single Round Spinning Objects (RSO) yoyo.

8 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome! I greatly appreciate the list of yoyos. I will be looking into them haha :grin:

4 Likes

Huh, since I started back up in August I’ve managed to avoid acquiring all of those despite buying like 20+ throws.

Funny old world.

2 Likes

Interesting, but I think it’s mostly due to the yoyos being difficult to obtain (Grail, MC, MCMO, Kappa, Assassin, Chopsticks Gorilla, Panorama and RSOs) and a lot of them are old so you don’t see them being brought up too often nowadays. If you’re only buying the newer releases you would miss most of these.

Yeah it looks that way. The ones that are freely available are mentioned every now and then.

Topyo Silenus, YoYoFriends Peregrine, C3yoyodesign Speedaholic XX (plastic), Recess First Base (beginner yoyo),

But where I live a little less easily available than say YYF or Magicyoyo. I keep seeing the Silenus mentioned though so I might have to purchase one at some point. I’d like to try the Assassin as well. But since I have a RSC package on the way and I promised myself I’d not have more than 1 throw in the mail at a time (to limit spending a little) I’ll see what happens later with that.

3 Likes

Hello,
My name is Nuno and I´m from Portugal in Europe. I´m a university professor and a researcher. I have a PHD in marketing and business strategy. I started to gain interest in yoyos about one year ago. I play with my yoyos mainly to relax. My favourite yoyos are the peregrine, the MCMCO, and the VTWO.

9 Likes

Welcome! Sounds like you might have some really awesome knowledge about yoyo marketing and business strategy haha

1 Like

Thank you for the welcome. Some yoyo brands have interesting marketing strategies. For example. One drop could easily increase their sales by producing more of their most sought-after models, but they decide not to do so. One day I may research the yoyo market.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums! That’s a lot of qualifications you have! Maybe after researching the yoyo market you may decide to start your own yoyo company.

2 Likes

Thank you. I´m sure many talented and passionate people are more suitable for that. Curiously, I once recommended Evan Nagao to follow that path and start his own yoyo company, instead of following a music career. And he gave a good answer: He said that no one also believed him when he started to seriously dedicate to yoyo. And we all know how that went. He had a god point. People tend to be successful in what they love. I use yoyo when I´m tired of reading or writing and need something to keep my mind away, my passion is teaching.

4 Likes

For some things having what you love as a hobby instead of a job makes perfect sense.

In some cases doing your hobby professionnally means you get paid for your hobby. Which is great.
In other cases it means you turn your hobby in to a job. Which ruins the hobby.

Welcome.

3 Likes

Hey I’m Eric, 32 from Souther Virginia.
I’ve been yo-yoing since July of 21. I picked up a YYF Wedge on a whim and just kinda took off from there. Amassed a collection and a love of throwing. Terrible at keeping up with these things but trying to learn more and find homies in my area.

14 Likes

Hey there, I’m Kris! I’m just getting back into the hobby after not having played since the 90s. I just got my first new yoyos last night and am alternating between a YYF One and a Replay Pro. The Replay Pro is my first ever unresponsive yoyo and it’s a whole new experience for me. My two kids are excited to see yoyos in the house and are getting their own for Christmas too. I’m quickly repolishing old skills and learning new ones like how to bind. I look forward to learning a lot from yall!

13 Likes

Welcome to the forums! That’s a great start with the YYF Wedge! All the best on your trick learning journey! It’s going to be long one.

2 Likes