Introduce Yourself!

how long have you been yoyoing for its been a year for me

2 Likes

I started throwing recently this year! I stoped cos my string broke and I was too lazy to get another. I was using The Yomega Brain Yoyo. Just last week I got the N12 in the mail. I was sooooooo happy! I became obsessed and practiced at recess and lunch. Sadly the next day I dinged it so I stopped playing on cobblestones

5 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Don’t worry about the dings… over time you’ll learn that your oldest, most dinged yoyos will become the ones you care about the most. I would trade most yoyos in my collection for my first unresponsive yoyo, a YoYoFactory 888 that I dinged up and traded away (sadly).

11 Likes

Wow… thanks for opening my eyes bro

4 Likes

dings are something that just happen I got a yoyofactory horizon ultra as my first good metal throw and the next day I dinged it but not once not twice but tree times it Realy sucked but it happens

1 Like

Wow, my first completely unresponsive (needing a backspin bind) was an OG 888. I miss it.

5 Likes

when I got into yoyoing I sickped the whole resposives thing and got right into unresposives play with a magic yoyo n11

2 Likes

A late introduction but new to throwing, started June this year and have more yoyos than tricks i know right now, lol. 31y female, I just love throwing and am really happy to have found how much yoyoing has grown since I was little.

15 Likes

Welcome @Kaji. You are not alone, I think quite a few of us have more throws than tricks.

7 Likes

Hello all,

Been reading through the forums for a little while and finally decided to join.

I have been yo-yoing off and on since 1998/99 and been part of a couple of the different online communities as they came and went. I took a few breaks now and then when things started getting busy in my life, but I never quite put the yo-yo down for long.

I was most active back during my undergrad years when I joined on theyo forum (I used to go by the sn Whitecaptain) and still remember quite a few people from there. I used to serve as a mod for a little while before my studies started taking over my life in the last few years. I left the online community in about 2008 to focus on my last couple of courses before I began my career. Seems like some of the people from theyo moved over to here and are still active in the community, which is very refreshing to see.

Since then I have not really been on the yo-yo scene much up until about 2 years ago when I was looking through my old collection again and decided to try seeing what the community has been up to since. I came across an ad for Yoyoexpert and picked up some B-grades for fun to get back into the hobby. It’s amazing how much yo-yos have changed since!

Sorry if this brief story got a bit long-winded. Looking forward to chatting with you all and helping out wherever I can. :smile:

13 Likes

Indeed

4 Likes

I think regular unforgiving yoyos do a pretty good job of that already. With a bunch of modern yoyos, you can do quite a bit with poor technique, but more unforgiving yoyos force you to clean up your act.

2 Likes

Hi guys! im Ethan from Longview WA. i picked up a yoyo for the first time last year after being recommended the first base by a friend, and have been slowly picking it up since. recently ive upgraded to a quail and overture which have been amazing and all of you guys have been awesome with helping people like me learn.

14 Likes

welcome to the yye forums I think you will find this forum really useful

5 Likes

World Champion!? Love that ambition. Get it James1A!

1 Like

Yo! …or should I say yo-yo. Obligatory dad joke cause, well, why not?! Names Charlie, 38, dad of 3, husband of 1. I own a graphic design company and also started a church. Been throwing for about 2 weeks now and I have no idea why I can’t stop.

My son brought home some janky yo-yo from Chucky E Cheese or something and watching him flounder with that thing made me feel like less of a man…so I did what any non yo-yo enthusiasts would do…I want on amazon and bought a magic yo-yo. I bought it to teach my son what a “real” yo-yo is and I found myself coming back to it and playing with it.

Ever since, I’ve been throwing this thing before and after work, while watching Netflix, and it has replaced my tennis ball, which I constantly bounce to get those creative juices flowing.

I have been watching the tutorials on ■■■■■■■■■■.com and whoever that guy in the red shirt is has a pleasant voice and seems like a cool dude and it’s helped me get into the sport. I have ordered a fizz and a sage (I like to support people) and am curious to know if this will change the way throwing feels. I’m ecstatic about this and hope I can get better as time goes on. I want to make the investment into some strong 1A yo-yos in the future but will wait till I’m better. Currently working on simple string tricks and learned a couple of picture tricks for the kiddos.

11 Likes

Welcome to the YoYoExpert Forums!

If this is your first time please take a minute to introduce yourself. Just share a bit about yourself, your favorite yo-yos or tricks, and how you found out about YoYoExpert.

a bit about yourself:

Hi, Dan here,

Received my first unresponsive YoYo in the first week of July 2019, so a little over 2 months ago.
Used to have a cheap toystore responsive one with LED’s back in the 90’s but never really did anything more than a bit of round the world, walk the dog and the eiffel tower picture trick with it (heck I didn’t even know the possibilities back then).

For me it’s just something to do when I’m waiting somewhere so I’m not really practising that much. Mostly still trying to get a good feel for it.

your favorite yo-yos or tricks:
Breakaway > trapeze mount > t’s borther > double or nothing.
Been doing this and variations of this over and over and over for the past week to get a feeling for sideway play. Still can’t really throw a decent breakaway and I’m still missing the string more often than not.

how you found out about YoYoExpert:
It’s one of the top hits on google when you search for tutorials together with ■■■■■■■■■■ and since that site doesn’t seem to have a forum (as far I could see at first glance) I joined here.

9 Likes

For breakaways, I always suggest not trying to throw as hard as you can; just focus on a smooth, straight throw. As for landing in trapeze/brother/DoN try landing closer to your fingers. This will give you more control and consistency.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tips, never hurts to hear them again a few times.

2 Likes

This is how I got into yo-yos again after a twenty year break. My daughters kept bringing home bad cheap yo-yos from daycare.

6 Likes